Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Post by onebyone »

DeTour wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:43 am Today’s update makes a bit more sense.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/21/us/rescu ... index.html

The “tip” was someone spotting her hammock. So you can drop the conspiracy theories based on one three-letter word. To be lost so close to civilization may seem far-fetched, but I’m reminded of a woman who died a few years ago when she walked off the Appalachian Trail to pee, and got turned around. Her body and journal were found some time later. The article expands on the head injury in a way that sounds more plausible, and addresses the fact that the water which was so close was undrinkable.

I’m not saying that proves her family’s story, but I think people should entertain the possibility that it’s true. Skepticism is fine; the smug certainty of some conspiracy theorists (more on the FB group than here) is revolting to me. Comparable to armchair experts analyzing what someone did wrong after they died in a mountain accident based on a few tiny snippets of information. If true, the woman and her family went through a gruesome experience.
Curious. Have you been to Zion and the Virgin River?
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

If the story is out there in a public forum its fair game for whatever may come its way.

I guess anything's possible. But, it still sounds mighty fishy to me. I'm sticking to my original theory. Shrooms. Lots of shrooms.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

aliens.jpg
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

DeTour wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:43 am the smug certainty of some conspiracy theorists (more on the FB group than here) is revolting to me
That's all the rage right now. The crazier, the better. The capacity to reason seems to be a vanishing skill.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiFree »

justiner wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:45 pmaliens.jpg

THERE IS NO OTHER EXPLANATION!
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

SkiFree wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:19 pm
justiner wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:45 pmaliens.jpg

THERE IS NO OTHER EXPLANATION!
I often jump to this conclusion as well, but I think it's more likely just a crazy person in this case.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

The “tip” was someone spotting her hammock. So you can drop the conspiracy theories based on one three-letter word. To be lost so close to civilization may seem far-fetched, but I’m reminded of a woman who died a few years ago when she walked off the Appalachian Trail to pee, and got turned around. Her body and journal were found some time later. The article expands on the head injury in a way that sounds more plausible, and addresses the fact that the water which was so close was undrinkable.

I’m not saying that proves her family’s story, but I think people should entertain the possibility that it’s true. Skepticism is fine; the smug certainty of some conspiracy theorists (more on the FB group than here) is revolting to me. Comparable to armchair experts analyzing what someone did wrong after they died in a mountain accident based on a few tiny snippets of information. If true, the woman and her family went through a gruesome experience.
You might want to read this article: https://www.abc4.com/news/southern-utah ... nGSe0x7UxA

(That link was originally posted by Scott P)
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

My take is that it might of been a middle-age self-discovery adventure, kind of like the in the movie Wild. Concerned relatives were able to track her down, even if she wanted to get away.

People of both genders and all ages have these lose-yourself-in-nature urges. I know I have acted on them.
2giqs
14ers: 58 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 2giqs »

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/bo ... ry-largay/
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

A few flash flood videos of Zion have convinced me that this isn't the place for me to have my off-grid mid-life crisis.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

justiner wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:35 pm A few flash flood videos of Zion have convinced me that this isn't the place for me to have my off-grid mid-life crisis.
Emoji of me spewing a drink from laughter... inserted here.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

2giqs wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:34 pm

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/bo ... ry-largay/
Wandering off the AT and getting lost in the bushes along the Virgin River with cars driving by is just a bit different. Just a bit.