Six degrees of separation - climbing partner edition

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Six degrees of separation - climbing partner edition

Post by greenonion »

Dave B wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:22 am I got drunk as f*ck with Simon Yates.
I wonder if Joe Simpson ever did after crawling out of that mess.
mschmalz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 665
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mschmalz »

I sure have enjoyed reading these comments. So fun. I have been fortunate to climb with many legends and those who have completed the Colorado 13ers...220 13ers with Steve Gladbach, one week backpack with Bob Martin & Penny Martens climbing 12ers, so many with Bob and Erik Packard, Kent Beverly, Roger Linfield, Craig Patterson, Pete and Colleen Stabolepzy, and Lynn Prebble. And a few (or at least one) with Teresa, Sarah, Gerry & Jennifer, John & Alyson, Climbing Cooneys, & Marlyn. Never climbed with Jeff Lowe but drank beers with him at the Ouray Ice Fest. Jeff was so humble.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Like Mike (Chi Transplant), the folks I've hiked/climbed with, broken beers with or crossed paths with are numerous.
I've ventured with Gladbach many times who in turn, led to friends like Brad and Britt (semi-regular partner).
Through a great friendship with Sarah T, I've also met and done cool sh*t with Homey, Dwight and a few times with Ken Nolan.

Chris Pruchnic was a great friend of mine whom, Mike was also a common buddy. We all met Kurt Wedberg (a Sierra climber/guide) on an international trip that Chris had set up.
I got the opportunity to meet and scramble in Big Thompson Canyon through an acquaintance with Alan Arnette & Jim Davidson and through an ex-fiancé, belayed Jen Meris up Cheeseman Rock.

Recently (like a few days ago), the wife and I met Gerry Roach in the hills east of Montrose where by, we had a great
Hour + long convo about publishing and his two St. Elias trips. :)

I also got high & tight once on Jägermeister while descending Rum Doodle in a serve blizzard. I got into a heated argument with a guy named John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt who seemed fairly convinced that my name was his name. That was surreal!

And of course, who hasn't met the honorable Bill Middlebrook??
We also met and climbed the OB Couloir with Ted & Christy Mahon by sheer happenstance.

In short, for it being such a large and discursive world, we all do a fairly good job in making it smaller & friendlier. :-D

Would LOVE to one day meet and climb with folks like: Tom Pierce, Marc Smaltz, Mike Garret, Boggyb (Mike) and Amy (blazintoes). But, all in due time.
dwemp6
14ers: 22  2 
13ers: 24 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwemp6 »

An old ski partner of mine when I lived in Jackson was a guy named Ted Hesser who is an accomplished climber in his own right. But Ted has climbed with Conrad Anker, Alex Honnold, Jimmy Chin, Tommy Caldwell, the late Brad Gobright among others. I've skied with Mikaela Shiffrin, Resi Stiegler and Tommy Moe inbounds.
Collect memories, not things.
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

I crossed paths (mostly without even speaking) with people I can't even imagine ever having been good enough to actually climb with:

- Doug Scott, on a hike in Boulder when he was there to do a show at Neptune's that night
- Peter Croft, when our teams crossed paths on Denali
- Alex Honnold (and I think Colin Haley) at a vegetarian cafe in El Chaltan
- Jon Krakauer and Lynn Hill at Boulder Rock Club
- Glenn Randall in the Weminuche

I saw Galen Rowell's signature in a register on a tiny hill outside Bishop.

I climbed Black Mesa in Arizona with Jack Bennett, and a peak above Tucson with Andy Martin and Doug Kasian. I had dinner with Bob Burd.

And I am forever grateful to the numerous talented climbers in CO and, in most cases, on this site who played rope gun for me on my pursuit of the lists.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

None of these really fit the true criteria of this thread of being a climbing partner, but I thought each experience was pretty cool!

Starting locally.

I have been to Brad McQueen’s house (May Happy Hour) :lol:

Was at the trailhead when Andrew Hamilton was coming down Princeton on one of his various runs. Then met him at a happy hour the day or day after he got off one of his 14er records (possibly the same one, can’t remember).

Met Alan Annette at one of his K2 talks.

Last January in Jackson Hole, was near a coffee shop at the base and my partner ran into Jimmy Chin and his wife Chai Vasarhelyi (post Oscar win). Later that same day, happened to be loading the tram and Jeremy Jones and his son Cass were right in front of me and we ended up chatting a good while after he saw my POW sticker on my skis. Ended up ripping down Rendezvous bowl right behind him and his son on a pow day.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

I've done three climbs with Alan Arnette, and although I never actually met and climbed with Steve Gladbach, I did communicate with him several times.

I came across Lisa Foster going up Longs one time and climbed a short distance with her until she broke and did a much more difficult route. Ha!

I've also climbed with the famous Jay Dahl a few times, as well as a lot of other famous 14ers members.
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

I did my residency and fellowship at the same hospital as Tom Hornbein, MD. One of the older cardiac anesthesiologists while I was there also trained Hornbein.
I met and talked with Charles Houston, MD (1953 American Karakoram Expedition to K2) in Ouray sometime in the early 1980s.
Jack Durrance, MD signed my copy of 50 Classic Climbs. He was then Professor Emeritus of Medicine at University of Colorado and in his late 70s. He was crippled with arthritis and had trouble walking. He gave a talk and presented a slide show - with his glass slides! - of his 1939 American Karakoram Expedition to K2. This is the expedition where Fritz Wiessner falsely blamed Durrance for the failure of the expedition and the deaths of four members. He never went on an expedition again after K2.
Both Houston and Durrance were very warm, likable and humble individuals.
Michael Covington trained me in ice climbing in 1981 and 1982. Michael did climbs with Messner and Peter Habeler.
I have two posters autographed by Covington of climbs he did with them.

This is a great thread. We need more like these.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

osprey wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:25 pm This is a great thread. We need more like these.
Consider the source and encourage more participation. 8)
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

bergsteigen wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:57 pm At first I thought maybe Steve Gladbach and all his connections, but then I remembered I skied Culebra with Chris Davenport and the Mahons. So I also have Neil Beidleman, along with a bunch of ski mountaineers.
Small world, really, but don't forget that it goes in both directions (see Jon, PhD :-&)
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

I’ve climbed with justiner, so got you all beat! Ha!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

lodgling wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:33 pm
bergsteigen wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:57 pm At first I thought maybe Steve Gladbach and all his connections, but then I remembered I skied Culebra with Chris Davenport and the Mahons. So I also have Neil Beidleman, along with a bunch of ski mountaineers.
Small world, really, but don't forget that it goes in both directions (see Jon, PhD :-&)
Yeah, don’t remind me! I already had that connection through Moneymike. Oh wait, Jon didn’t actually “ski” Capitol that day.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina