In out burger in co. Thoughts.

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: In out burger in co. Thoughts.

Post by Scott P »

yeahbgraff wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:32 pm Nothing beats Stan's Burger Shack in Hanksville.
I just ate there a few days ago. I have been going there since it used to be a little shack (it used to be Stans Burger Shack and seating was outside on tiny fold up tables). It's pretty good.

It used to be the only place to eat for miles around. Then Blondies came. It's now gone. There are a few other places that came in.

We hardly went out to eat when I was growing up, but we got to go to Stans a few times, especially when my uncle was buying. That was back when Hite was really booming and Lake Powell was full. Now Hite is almost abandoned and the boat ramp is in the middle of the desert with no lake in sight.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

yeahbgraff wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:32 pm Nothing beats Stan's Burger Shack in Hanksville.
I second that notion. Best burgers ever.
Oddly enough I was also just there... with Scott lol
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I think In-N-Out lives up to the hype. Never had one until a few years ago visiting a friend in Phoenix. Then 2 years ago on an extended national park trip to Cali stopped at one in Vegas on the way then probably 4 other times at various places in California as my wife and kid loved them. I’m pretty pleased we will have one 20 minutes away in CO Sprgs. Hope they don’t put Freddy’s and Culver’s out of business because I love them too. Oh wait, Jared and Uncle Joe will be putting everybody out of business so get them all while you can.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
JChitwood
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I’m pretty upset that I drove through Hanksville on the way back from Capitol Reef NP two years ago and wasn’t even aware of Stan’s. Now I’ve got to make a special trip. Maybe there’s something to hike in the Henrys.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

JChitwood wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:32 pm I’m pretty upset that I drove through Hanksville on the way back from Capitol Reef NP two years ago and wasn’t even aware of Stan’s. Now I’ve got to make a special trip.
You would miss it if you drove straight through. It's on the east side of town along the highway towards Hite. You just missed it by turning north towards Green River.
Maybe there’s something to hike in the Henrys.
There's a lot to hike there. Mount Ellen makes a nice alpine contrast to the desert (it an alpine island surrounded by harsh deserts), but my favorite peaks are the ones down south, especially the Little Rockies.

Mount Ellen:

Little Rockies (Ellsworth and Holmes):

There are a lot of canyons and other peaks to explore as well. Here's where Matt and I were last weekend:

https://www.lemkeclimbs.com/point-4906.html

Though I respectfully disagree that it was all class 3. :wink:
MN teleMARKer
14ers: 36  1 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MN teleMARKer »

I experienced In N Out Burger for the first time about a month ago while visiting Fresno for CSU football. Have to say that I was pretty impressed by the burger and fries. Although, I think I was most impressed by the menu, or lack thereof. I think the only choice we had was hamburger or double with or without cheese. No nuggets, fish sandwich, curly fries.... VERY simple menu.
Wake up every day with a purpose
JChitwood
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Scott P has been everywhere. You are correct we turned north missing Stan’s. All was not lost as we had a great burger at Ray’s Tavern in Green River. As a river runner I loved all the pictures on the walls of rafting carnage in Cataract Canyon on the Green.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

JChitwood wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:02 pm Scott P has been everywhere
I have never been to In N' Out Burger.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I went to an I. And out. Burger while I was doing cloud computing consulting at ASU and I thought the Burger was fine
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

The line in Aurora today was over 12 hours and circled the entire mall parking lot 2x over. It’s no longer about the burger at that point and more a focus on mankind’s grips with reality/sanity.

Or it’s just further evidence the state of California is a plague on this country.
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Is it good? Sure. Worth the hype? Not really. Considering the grim outlook for our local restaurants right now, how about we turn this thread around and give our local favorites a shoutout. In and Out will survive, your local burger joint may not.

CO Springs: Drifters (any local knows it tops I&O anyways). Cerberus Brewing also has a great burger, most known for its smoked brisket grilled cheese on sourdough bread though with a side of truffle fries/potato wedges.

Breckenridge/Frisco: Ollies. Hands down one of the best burgers anywhere. Mac and cheese burger anyone? The Pourhouse also has one of the better vegetarian options I’ve had in their Quinoa burger.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Ray’s in Green River UT.