Favorite Colorado Trail Section?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
WVMountaineer
14ers:summits58 winter4 

Favorite Colorado Trail Section?

Post by WVMountaineer » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:18 pm

I have a friend who's working on hiking all sections of the Colorado trail (non continuously) and asked me to join him for Sections 4 and 5 the last 2 Sundays and help with the carpooling situation. I work at Lockheed Martin right next to the beginning of Section 1 and have walked and biked up that section before but haven't hiked any other sections of the trail not connected to a 14er trail. Sections 4 and 5 were pretty enjoyable hikes with good views. Both sections were in snow conditions most of the way and sub freezing so I bet these are even better when the forest is a little more lush and lively. We didn't see any other hikers the entire way until the last mile to Kenosha Pass. I believe my friend is waiting until spring before hiking any more sections.

The CO trail has 33 sections. Anyone on here have a favorite section+direction you'd recommend hiking that have fantastic views? Attached some maps/profiles below for additional referencing and info.

I really enjoyed all the San Juan and Lake City 14ers so I'm hopeful the trail is as enjoyable down there as the 14ers.

Thanks for you suggestions!

WV
Attachments
Segments_Elev.jpg
Segments_Elev.jpg (86.09 KiB) Viewed 681 times
Segments_Map.jpg
Segments_Map.jpg (207.86 KiB) Viewed 681 times
Fortune Cookie Says "Calamity is the touchstone of a brave mind."
Klad24
14ers:summits58 winter2 
13ers:summits8 

Re: Favorite Colorado Trail Section?

Post by Klad24 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:26 pm

The whole trail is incredible, but the section from Creede to Silverton was probably the 70 most beautiful miles of backpacking I've ever done. It's unreal. I believe that corresponds to sections 21-24.

Runner up was the entire Collegiate West alternative.
WVMountaineer

Post by WVMountaineer » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:27 pm

Correction: according to this map there are 28 sections and some alt routes... I regurgitated the 33 number from memory in my original post.
blazintoes
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (10)

Post by blazintoes » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:10 am

This is such a hard question to answer because each section is unique. The hiking section that is most memorable for many reasons was Stony Pass to Molas Pass near the intersection of the CDT and CT and also Hunchback Pass. You are near the most remote area and peaks of Colorado and they are plentiful. From Stony Pass I hiked over to White Dome then connected to Peak One and scrambled down to Elk Creek then reconnected back to segment 24. It was a long 22 mile day with a lot of vertical gain. Molas Pass is long, steep and seems never ending. But the geology, wildflowers, mushrooms, eye candy and solitude are what I remember most. Also this was the first time I had seen Vestal and Arrow where a lifelong love affair of rock climbing ensued.

Runner up for me is segment 20 and if you need a partner this is a segment that has been on my re to-do list since 2012 because it rained the entire time and I know the La Garita's are unmatched in their geologic wonders. I could see bits of volcanic tuft poking out here and there and wished Mother Nature would have been more kind. I would imagine an out and back hiking trip from Spring Creek Pass would suffice.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers:summits57 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:47 am

I've done very little, but the part along Twin Lakes / Dexter's cabin was very scenic. Would be interesting to hear more responses.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
HunkyDunk
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits54 

Post by HunkyDunk » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:22 am

My wife and I backpacked the entire CT and we took our time and completed it in 6 summers, with 75 to 80 miles each summer. We remember every part of it and actually made a book for our memories. Segment 21 was a favorite! Segment 8 is also a good memory. But we hiked 21 in a day after having a shuttle from Lake City to Creede, then we hiked back to Spring Creek Pass to our waiting car. Beautiful day at altitude and saw no one for 20 miles. We then spent the evening in Lake City pub crawling and closing down places as we were so pumped up from our day! Great memory, summer of 2015.
I love to be in the mountain air, simply because I am happiest there!!,,,,www.ricksportraits.net
SkaredShtles

Post by SkaredShtles » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:25 am

Segment 23.
Jakomait
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits135 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Jakomait » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:42 am

I've been across it 5 times and all of it is amazing! Segment 23 and 24 are my favorite but you cant go wrong on anything from Segment 20 to 28. Enjoy!
Giver skidoo
England

Post by England » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:46 am

My fellow Mountaineer. If you have not experienced the San Juan's then you must go see!
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

I have survived 3 avalanches...all my fault. yes i'm a dumb-ass!
WVMountaineer

Post by WVMountaineer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:05 pm

England wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:46 am
My fellow Mountaineer. If you have not experienced the San Juan's then you must go see!
Cheers, Beers, and Mountaineers! I finished the 14ers last year so I've seen my share of the San Juans and absolutely love being in those mountains.
blazintoes wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:10 am
This is such a hard question to answer because each section is unique.
Thanks for the variation suggestion!

Thank you all for your responses so far! It sounds like the Trail only gets better than what I've seen so far. Please keep the suggestions and variations coming.

WV
WVMountaineer

Post by WVMountaineer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:06 pm

Jakomait wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:42 am
I've been across it 5 times and all of it is amazing!
That's seriously impressive! All as continuous through hiking for segment(s) at a time?
Colorado dreaming
14ers:summits11 

Post by Colorado dreaming » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:12 pm

WVMountaineer wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:06 pm
Jakomait wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:42 am
I've been across it 5 times and all of it is amazing!
That's seriously impressive! All as continuous through hiking for segment(s) at a time?
Jesse is very impressive! Check out his results from the CTR:

http://www.climbingdreams.net/ctr/#results