2021 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by greenonion »

I've seen at least 2 folks mention that they are interested in doing CA 14ers Russell, Williamson, and Tyndall next year. And any others in CA such as Palisade group, Middle Pal, etc. Would love to see TRs! Tough, beautiful mountains.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

rijaca wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:59 amBeat cancer!
Rooting for you as well!
Scott P wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:40 pm I probably won't finish all of these (but hopefully will finish most), but here are my Specific Goals for 2021 (may take some off the list if I finish them in 2020 though).
Does anyone else feel like Scott just isn’t pushing himself enough, I mean come on, that’s all?!? Lol, just kidding, wow!

Ok, I’ve not posted one of these before but decided to go ahead and make an entry this year. Top mountain related goals for 2021 include:

- Ramp up snowflake count, especially 14ers (currently 10 & 10 for 14ers/13ers – doubling both would be awesome but very much a “stretch” goal).
- Complete several extra routes/laps of different Flatirons climbs (been loving the Royal Arch, Freeway and Buckets, but need to upgrade my climbing to move on with the long-term goal of being comfortable enough to take on the harder 13er/14er peaks/routes).
- Get more time practicing in the climbing gym and possibly take a class or two to up my climbing skills.
- Next summer (if not sooner) crank up big on 13ers (currently at 69. Stretch goal would be 100 but that’s probably a pretty big stretch for me, unless I get on a roll with peak clusters).
- Also most likely a summer or later goal, do some more fun ridge scrambles like I did this past summer and up the ante with increasingly challenging routes.
- Resume travelling to Haiti once conditions permit (ok, not mountain related per se although it’s known as the land of “mountains beyond mountains.”)
- Carry on the momentum I’ve started to build of being less of a loner by actually teaming up with folks at times.
- Possibly try to team up with some more highly experienced/skilled climbers to help me safely tackle harder peaks/routes.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

AnnaG22 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:01 pm
Ed_Groves wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:36 am
Ed, your goals are awesome! When it comes down to it, all of us on this site are just people who love mountains, no matter whether that has been true for 6 months or for 7 decades. For your seventh goal, my personal favorite of those 4 peaks is Mount Sherman. Others may disagree. In any case, thanks for joining in on the fun of this thread!

Thanks for the advice and the kind words, Anna.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

My biggest goal is to SLOW DOWN and enjoy the trips more. I come from Kansas City and climb many days in a row (20 14ers in 21 days this year) and it has taken a toll on my muscles. I would like to finish the 58 as I am currently at 37 but I want to do more trips and relax on them.

1. Relax and enjoy the experience more
2. Try to finish the 58 while focusing on above #1.
3. Climb James Peak to get some glacier experience on St. Marys
4. Get better with my overnight camping weight and supplies. (lessons have been learned)
5. Continue to climb with friends and make more
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Alright time for 2021 goals. Nothing too crazy just hoping to stay active and experience some new peaks!

1. Stay Healthy
2. Get a haircut
3. Keep monthly 13er+ summit streak alive (currently 55 months)
4. Reach 200 ranked 13ers (currently 172)
5. Reach 130/202 on the Cent/Bicents (currently 118)
6. A 5th class 13er (Probably Coxcomb)
7. Repeat K.C. with partners
8. Something in the Wemis
9. At least 6 new ranked 13er/14er snowflakes to put me at 35 combined
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Tornadoman wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:06 am Alright time for 2021 goals. Nothing too crazy just hoping to stay active and experience some new peaks!

2. Get a haircut
Good one! I haven't added that to my 2021 goals yet (much to my wife's chagrin). And I didn't (and probably won't) get in done in 2020 either. :lol:
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

For 2021 mine are not nearly as ambitious as others here:

-I have a few 5th class summits I'd like to tackle. A real grab bag of climbs: An aid climb, a few high desert peaks, one a possible FKA. Oh, and my White Whale: Kissing Couple, a 5.11a (b/c??) that I keep putting off. I'll probably end up aiding or Free-Frenching the crux, I don't have Kor's wingspan and at this point in life it's unlikely I'll grow another 2-3" :lol:

-There are another 2-3 alpine 5th classers, unranked, that look intriguing. I probably could solo them, they're all 5.6 or less, but sometimes one climber's 5.6 is my "Holy sh*t! Are you kidding me??" So we'll see, but that uncertainty is part of the fun of exploration. I'll save those for when it gets too hot in the desert.

-I'm slated to do the Ruby-Horsethief kayak float this spring with a couple of friends. They'll humor me by stopping along the way so I can check out an apparently unclimbed 5.x tower. That'll just be an overnight recon.

-Finally, road cycling: I've been toying with cycling to each of Colorado's 7 state borders. Silly project, just me. My attempt at Wyoming this year was thwarted by 82mph winds, yikes! Maybe 2021 will bring success to a few state border rides. I'm also toying with trying for a Super Randonneur effort, but eh...not so sure I like the sound of all that misery.

-Tom
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

TomPierce wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:00 am -Finally, road cycling: I've been toying with cycling to each of Colorado's 7 state borders. Silly project, just me. My attempt at Wyoming this year was thwarted by 82mph winds, yikes! Maybe 2021 will bring success to a few state border rides. I'm also toying with trying for a Super Randonneur effort, but eh...not so sure I like the sound of all that misery.
That is a cool goal. I have the utmost confidence that you'll do Wyoming this year, maybe Nebraska as well, maybe the same day!

I might have to try for Nebraska in 2021. It'd be really nice to do an all gravel route, actually. Wyoming with the mountain bike was more suffering than desired.

I have this idea that someday I'm going to circumnavigate the Great Lakes on my bike. Probably not in the cards for 2021, but sometime.

Mountaineering goals - mostly wilderness related - more Eagles Nest, more LCW, more Zirkels, more HCW, unranked/named RMNP and IPW points. Finally tag Dirt Benchmark and maybe a few other Wilderness highpoints that I'm missing.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Ski some new 13ers and\or 14ers, my long range goal is 100 13/14er descents, trying to do a few new per year, should be done in 2030.
Hike more with my kids, my daughter has gotten into hiking, which is fun, been hiking a lot of peaks with her that I haven't done in a long time, it's good to see the world through fresh eyes
Run 520 miles
One winter 14er ascent, preferably Longs, which I'm 0/3 on in winter so far.
Do a backpacking trip with the kid(s)
No new injuries
Manage long term injuries
Maintain current level of fitness
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

TomPierce wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:00 amI have a few 5th class summits I'd like to tackle: a few high desert peaks, one a possible FKA.
It's not exactly high, but 5,700 in Mesa County?

As for me...
  • Climb at least 100 new ranked 13ers
  • Finish Weminuche 13ers
  • Finish the 13ers with required Class 4 and Class 5
  • Work more on Gore and Elk 13ers
  • 13ers 13ers 13ers
  • Peaks adjacent to 13ers, rank matters not
  • As many new winter 14ers as I can muster the gumption for
Outside of the climbing world:
  • Finish my torso tattoo and start on a leg sleeve
  • Make new friends and see the friends I have more often (difficult living in a van)
  • Finish reading Infinite Jest or die trying
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

supranihilest wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:31 pm [*]Finish reading Infinite Jest or die trying
i c wut u did ther
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

AnnaG22 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:45 pm
supranihilest wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:31 pm [*]Finish reading Infinite Jest or die trying
i c wut u did ther
It was both serious and a bit of meta-snark, but more the former. I've gotten about 700 pages into it two times now and gotten bored? Frustrated? Overwhelmed? I'm not even sure the right combination of adjectives to describe what a behemoth Infinite Jest is. I find it incredibly entertaining but it's just so damn dense. I'd love to actually finish it and see how DFW ties everything together, but man, it's One Hell of a Book.