2021 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Post Reply
rdp32
Posts: 362
Joined: 2/17/2014
14ers: List not added

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by rdp32 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:37 pm

Scott P wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:40 pm
... I could use partners for several of these, so if you are interested, please let me know...
.
.
.
High Spur (Utah)
.
.
.
PM sent about High Spur, if you're interested in doing that with a partner this Spring
User avatar
EatinHardtack
Posts: 1074
Joined: 7/10/2006
14ers:summits42 ski19 winter3 
13ers:summits79 ski37 winter2 
Trip Reports (8)

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by EatinHardtack » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:09 pm

No goals 2021. Maybe try to “find it” again after a transition into a life with a new job and new kid.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
enoki
Posts: 8
Joined: 6/8/2020
14ers:summits11 
13ers:summits2 

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by enoki » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:38 am

Summer 2020 was my first one out here. Trying to take my time ramping up in difficulty/intensity.

2 biggest days out this summer:
Missouri/Iowa/Emerald/Oxford/Belford in just under 10 hours.
Pikes via Barr in just over 7 hrs RT.

Did nothing above class 2. So my main goal for this year is to get some class 3 experience.

Front Range stuff:
Longs
Kelso Ridge
Sawtooth
Some combo of Father Dyer/Atlantic/Pacific/Crystal

Hoping to make Pikes (at least) a yearly trip, since I live in Colorado Springs.

A trip down to the San Juans:
Wetterhorn/Matterhorn/Uncompahgre (maybe in a single day? this seems doable to me, but need more research)
Sneffels

Have also contemplated goals like "get at least 1 check in each range on the site".

Also contemplating some kind of "mini-Nolan's". Something like a <24hr push, start at the north end and see how far I can get. This is still very nascent though, and requires a lot more thinking/research. Seems like a fun way to get a feel for the effort involved while still being within reach of my current fitness/abilities.

Also just general stuff like keep running mileage up, do more yoga, etc.
Bccrhp
Posts: 39
Joined: 8/6/2018
14ers:summits21 

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by Bccrhp » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:44 am

enoki wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:38 am
Summer 2020 was my first one out here. Trying to take my time ramping up in difficulty/intensity.

2 biggest days out this summer:
Missouri/Iowa/Emerald/Oxford/Belford in just under 10 hours.
Pikes via Barr in just over 7 hrs RT.

Did nothing above class 2. So my main goal for this year is to get some class 3 experience.

Front Range stuff:
Longs
Kelso Ridge
Sawtooth
Some combo of Father Dyer/Atlantic/Pacific/Crystal

Hoping to make Pikes (at least) a yearly trip, since I live in Colorado Springs.

A trip down to the San Juans:
Wetterhorn/Matterhorn/Uncompahgre (maybe in a single day? this seems doable to me, but need more research)
Sneffels

Have also contemplated goals like "get at least 1 check in each range on the site".

Also contemplating some kind of "mini-Nolan's". Something like a <24hr push, start at the north end and see how far I can get. This is still very nascent though, and requires a lot more thinking/research. Seems like a fun way to get a feel for the effort involved while still being within reach of my current fitness/abilities.

Also just general stuff like keep running mileage up, do more yoga, etc.
We did Wetterhorn and Uncompaghre in a single (long) day this summer. If you're really fast and/or happy navigating in the dark, I think adding in Matterhorn as well would be doable. The area is absolutely beautiful, though, so no real need to rush through it!

If you're already in the Lake City area for those peaks, Redcloud + Sunshine was a lot of fun as well.

Good luck!
User avatar
Tornadoman
Posts: 1254
Joined: 7/31/2007
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits193 winter29 
Trip Reports (11)

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by Tornadoman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:40 pm

enoki wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:38 am
A trip down to the San Juans:
Wetterhorn/Matterhorn/Uncompahgre (maybe in a single day? this seems doable to me, but need more research)
I would think that you could combine Wetterhorn/Matterhorn/Uncompahgre in a day considering that you did the Missouri/Iowa/Emerald/Oxford/Belford combo as that's a really big day. Nice work in your first year!
User avatar
nmjameswilson
Posts: 166
Joined: 9/7/2018
14ers:summits37 
13ers:summits7 
Contact:

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by nmjameswilson » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 am

Tornadoman wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:40 pm
enoki wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:38 am
A trip down to the San Juans:
Wetterhorn/Matterhorn/Uncompahgre (maybe in a single day? this seems doable to me, but need more research)
I would think that you could combine Wetterhorn/Matterhorn/Uncompahgre in a day considering that you did the Missouri/Iowa/Emerald/Oxford/Belford combo as that's a really big day. Nice work in your first year!
I did Wetterhorn/Uncompahgre this summer and it is an easy day really so adding Matterhorn sounds like something you can do. I did Belford/Oxford and MO in one day and I think the Wetterhorn day would probably be similar for you with adding Matterhorn.

While in the San Juans you can have another day and do Redcloud/Sunshine and Handies.
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 8122
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers:summits51 winter16 
13ers:summits41 winter13 
Trip Reports (16)
Contact:

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by Scott P » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:12 pm

One more goal I should have is how to use a GPS. I have still never used one of those friggin' things, though I do own one.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
shays_days
Posts: 105
Joined: 7/18/2018
14ers:summits13 winter3 

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by shays_days » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:54 pm

No particular order,

Outdoors related:

1. Dragon's tail couloir
2. 2nd flatiron in <45 minutes trashcan -> trashcan
3. Crestone Peak N Buttress to traverse, LB NW face to Blanca, Bells Traverse, El Diente N Buttress to Wilson
4. Ice skate on Chasm or Emerald Lake
5. Peak L
6. Ripsaw
7. Big Agnes -> the Castle
8. Consistent eldo 5.9 trad
9. WHAM
10. Summit the Dragon's back
11. Find Raspberry Park in forest canyon
12. Mohling traverse
13. Camp in a snow cave overnight
14. Bivy on a summit
15. Paiute N Ridge
16. Camp on dunsinane peak, explore the Cimarrons for a bit

Other:

1. Finish my masters, get a job
2. Build my first electric guitar from scratch
3. Finish 5 songs
4. Start selling photo prints
5. Get back my strength benchmarks after a lazy year...
  • Get one arm chin ups back
  • Five standing ab wheel rollouts
  • One minute handstand
  • Squat 250, deadlift 300, bench 185
6. Five steps on a highline
7. Start running :-&
User avatar
Jon Frohlich
Posts: 2382
Joined: 10/14/2005
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits148 winter3 
Trip Reports (32)
Contact:

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by Jon Frohlich » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:31 pm

1) Hopefully finish the centennials on/near the 20th anniversary of my first 14er. Jagged, Pigeon, and Phoenix are all that's left.
2) Maybe hit 200 ranked peaks over 13k but that requires doing 20 and it's been a while since I've done that many in a year.
3) Hike as many peaks with the dogs as possible
rijaca wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:59 am
Beat cancer!
4) Be a part of the rijaca beat cancer club. We'll be cheering you on!
ltlFish99
Posts: 291
Joined: 5/22/2019
14ers:summits40 ski2 winter2 
13ers:summits51 

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by ltlFish99 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:34 pm

My number 1 goal for 2021 is to stay sober for another year.
Help as many people as possible, especially others I meet in AA.
Nothing else will get accomplished if that goal is not a priority.
I have 18 14ers left, so I would like to hike at least 10 in 2021.
Maybe 1 or 2 snowflakes early next year.
Dreamweaver on meeker.
Repeat Longs again as I promised a friend I would partner up for that.
Backpack to Ruby lake for a couple of days as since seeing the view of that basin from eolus, it just looks wonderful.

Maybe go to the turks and caicos for some scuba diving, stopping at the fl. Keys to see my sister.
Hike any centennial's that are near 14ers I hike.
Hike the 4 pass loop.
Hike at least 500 miles.
Orizaba and a couple other volcanoes near Orizaba.
Mt.Hood, and/or mt. Adams.
Longer term, hopefully 2022, return to Ecuador and Bolivia and go to Peru for the first time.
Continue to enjoy my endless curiosity.
enoki
Posts: 8
Joined: 6/8/2020
14ers:summits11 
13ers:summits2 

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by enoki » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:13 pm

nmjameswilson wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 am
Tornadoman wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:40 pm
enoki wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:38 am
A trip down to the San Juans:
Wetterhorn/Matterhorn/Uncompahgre (maybe in a single day? this seems doable to me, but need more research)
I would think that you could combine Wetterhorn/Matterhorn/Uncompahgre in a day considering that you did the Missouri/Iowa/Emerald/Oxford/Belford combo as that's a really big day. Nice work in your first year!
I did Wetterhorn/Uncompahgre this summer and it is an easy day really so adding Matterhorn sounds like something you can do. I did Belford/Oxford and MO in one day and I think the Wetterhorn day would probably be similar for you with adding Matterhorn.

While in the San Juans you can have another day and do Redcloud/Sunshine and Handies.
Bccrhp, Tornadoman, and nmjameswilson thanks for the responses! Good to know that it sounds like a doable goal.

Will definitely look to add Redcloud/Sunshine & Handies. Will just depend on how much time I can get off for work. Also will be curious to see how the body holds up on bigger consecutive days of hiking. Felt like I was getting used to it towards the end of the summer, but at the start my runs would be affected by a bigger hike for days afterwards.
User avatar
Hiking_TheRockies
Posts: 28
Joined: 11/11/2020
14ers:summits5 
13ers:summits3 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by Hiking_TheRockies » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:18 pm

Do some more class 3 stuff, I'm looking at the doing some 14ers down near Telluride, particularly Sneffels and Wilson Peak. I'm also hoping to finish all of the front range 14ers with Pikes and Evans, probably doing Evans via the Sawtooth Ridge. I'd also like to do the Decalibron and Sherman to knock out the Mosquito Range.
"The best views come after the hardest climbs"
Post Reply