2021 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
enoki
14ers: 33 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by enoki »

Summer 2020 was my first one out here. Trying to take my time ramping up in difficulty/intensity.

2 biggest days out this summer:
Missouri/Iowa/Emerald/Oxford/Belford in just under 10 hours.
Pikes via Barr in just over 7 hrs RT.

Did nothing above class 2. So my main goal for this year is to get some class 3 experience.

Front Range stuff:
Longs
Kelso Ridge
Sawtooth
Some combo of Father Dyer/Atlantic/Pacific/Crystal

Hoping to make Pikes (at least) a yearly trip, since I live in Colorado Springs.

A trip down to the San Juans:
Wetterhorn/Matterhorn/Uncompahgre (maybe in a single day? this seems doable to me, but need more research)
Sneffels

Have also contemplated goals like "get at least 1 check in each range on the site".

Also contemplating some kind of "mini-Nolan's". Something like a <24hr push, start at the north end and see how far I can get. This is still very nascent though, and requires a lot more thinking/research. Seems like a fun way to get a feel for the effort involved while still being within reach of my current fitness/abilities.

Also just general stuff like keep running mileage up, do more yoga, etc.
Bccrhp
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Bccrhp »

enoki wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:38 am Summer 2020 was my first one out here. Trying to take my time ramping up in difficulty/intensity.

2 biggest days out this summer:
Missouri/Iowa/Emerald/Oxford/Belford in just under 10 hours.
Pikes via Barr in just over 7 hrs RT.

Did nothing above class 2. So my main goal for this year is to get some class 3 experience.

Front Range stuff:
Longs
Kelso Ridge
Sawtooth
Some combo of Father Dyer/Atlantic/Pacific/Crystal

Hoping to make Pikes (at least) a yearly trip, since I live in Colorado Springs.

A trip down to the San Juans:
Wetterhorn/Matterhorn/Uncompahgre (maybe in a single day? this seems doable to me, but need more research)
Sneffels

Have also contemplated goals like "get at least 1 check in each range on the site".

Also contemplating some kind of "mini-Nolan's". Something like a <24hr push, start at the north end and see how far I can get. This is still very nascent though, and requires a lot more thinking/research. Seems like a fun way to get a feel for the effort involved while still being within reach of my current fitness/abilities.

Also just general stuff like keep running mileage up, do more yoga, etc.
We did Wetterhorn and Uncompaghre in a single (long) day this summer. If you're really fast and/or happy navigating in the dark, I think adding in Matterhorn as well would be doable. The area is absolutely beautiful, though, so no real need to rush through it!

If you're already in the Lake City area for those peaks, Redcloud + Sunshine was a lot of fun as well.

Good luck!
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

enoki wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:38 am A trip down to the San Juans:
I would think that you could combine Wetterhorn/Matterhorn/Uncompahgre in a day considering that you did the Missouri/Iowa/Emerald/Oxford/Belford combo as that's a really big day. Nice work in your first year!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

Tornadoman wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:40 pm
I would think that you could combine Wetterhorn/Matterhorn/Uncompahgre in a day considering that you did the Missouri/Iowa/Emerald/Oxford/Belford combo as that's a really big day. Nice work in your first year!
I did Wetterhorn/Uncompahgre this summer and it is an easy day really so adding Matterhorn sounds like something you can do. I did Belford/Oxford and MO in one day and I think the Wetterhorn day would probably be similar for you with adding Matterhorn.

While in the San Juans you can have another day and do Redcloud/Sunshine and Handies.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

One more goal I should have is how to use a GPS. I have still never used one of those friggin' things, though I do own one.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
shays_days
14ers: 13  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shays_days »

No particular order,

Outdoors related:

1. Dragon's tail couloir
2. 2nd flatiron in <45 minutes trashcan -> trashcan
3. Crestone Peak N Buttress to traverse, LB NW face to Blanca, Bells Traverse, El Diente N Buttress to Wilson
4. Ice skate on Chasm or Emerald Lake
5. Peak L
6. Ripsaw
7. Big Agnes -> the Castle
8. Consistent eldo 5.9 trad
9. WHAM
10. Summit the Dragon's back
11. Find Raspberry Park in forest canyon
12. Mohling traverse
13. Camp in a snow cave overnight
14. Bivy on a summit
15. Paiute N Ridge
16. Camp on dunsinane peak, explore the Cimarrons for a bit

Other:

1. Finish my masters, get a job
2. Build my first electric guitar from scratch
3. Finish 5 songs
4. Start selling photo prints
5. Get back my strength benchmarks after a lazy year...
  • Get one arm chin ups back
  • Five standing ab wheel rollouts
  • One minute handstand
  • Squat 250, deadlift 300, bench 185
6. Five steps on a highline
7. Start running :-&
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

1) Hopefully finish the centennials on/near the 20th anniversary of my first 14er. Jagged, Pigeon, and Phoenix are all that's left.
2) Maybe hit 200 ranked peaks over 13k but that requires doing 20 and it's been a while since I've done that many in a year.
3) Hike as many peaks with the dogs as possible
rijaca wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:59 amBeat cancer!
4) Be a part of the rijaca beat cancer club. We'll be cheering you on!
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

My number 1 goal for 2021 is to stay sober for another year.
Help as many people as possible, especially others I meet in AA.
Nothing else will get accomplished if that goal is not a priority.
I have 18 14ers left, so I would like to hike at least 10 in 2021.
Maybe 1 or 2 snowflakes early next year.
Dreamweaver on meeker.
Repeat Longs again as I promised a friend I would partner up for that.
Backpack to Ruby lake for a couple of days as since seeing the view of that basin from eolus, it just looks wonderful.

Maybe go to the turks and caicos for some scuba diving, stopping at the fl. Keys to see my sister.
Hike any centennial's that are near 14ers I hike.
Hike the 4 pass loop.
Hike at least 500 miles.
Orizaba and a couple other volcanoes near Orizaba.
Mt.Hood, and/or mt. Adams.
Longer term, hopefully 2022, return to Ecuador and Bolivia and go to Peru for the first time.
Continue to enjoy my endless curiosity.
enoki
14ers: 33 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by enoki »

nmjameswilson wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 am
Tornadoman wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:40 pm
I did Wetterhorn/Uncompahgre this summer and it is an easy day really so adding Matterhorn sounds like something you can do. I did Belford/Oxford and MO in one day and I think the Wetterhorn day would probably be similar for you with adding Matterhorn.

While in the San Juans you can have another day and do Redcloud/Sunshine and Handies.
Bccrhp, Tornadoman, and nmjameswilson thanks for the responses! Good to know that it sounds like a doable goal.

Will definitely look to add Redcloud/Sunshine & Handies. Will just depend on how much time I can get off for work. Also will be curious to see how the body holds up on bigger consecutive days of hiking. Felt like I was getting used to it towards the end of the summer, but at the start my runs would be affected by a bigger hike for days afterwards.
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

Do some more class 3 stuff, I'm looking at the doing some 14ers down near Telluride, particularly Sneffels and Wilson Peak. I'm also hoping to finish all of the front range 14ers with Pikes and Evans, probably doing Evans via the Sawtooth Ridge. I'd also like to do the Decalibron and Sherman to knock out the Mosquito Range.
Hiking when possible
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

enoki wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:13 pm Bccrhp, Tornadoman, and nmjameswilson thanks for the responses! Good to know that it sounds like a doable goal.

Will definitely look to add Redcloud/Sunshine & Handies. Will just depend on how much time I can get off for work. Also will be curious to see how the body holds up on bigger consecutive days of hiking. Felt like I was getting used to it towards the end of the summer, but at the start my runs would be affected by a bigger hike for days afterwards.
Talking about holding up I am 51 and did 20 14ers in 22 days this July in the San Juan and Sawatch mountains. With driving between peaks being so far apart (El Diente Southern most to Holy Cross northern most)
it really took a toll on my body. I found I would be tired at the start of hikes (easiest parts) but as the day progressed I got stronger. I just could not eat enough and it cost me muscle so I am looking to space the climbs more next year. If you only have a small window to climb I would do as many as your body tells you you can do. This year I plan on separate trips instead of one long one to help the body out.

Here is what I did and maybe that will help in your decision making. Some days will be rain outs or in my case people wanted to climb with me on a certain peak on a certain day so plans can/will change. Happy climbing!
PEAKS.jpg
PEAKS.jpg (27.85 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Anything in this list

https://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/C ... mber=dpage

Some Flatirons as I still haven't been up the Third.

Climbing the Grand with Dave and Scott?