What tracks are these?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Posts: 6239
Joined: 7/26/2004
14ers:summits58 ski46 winter22 
13ers:summits167 ski55 winter45 
Trip Reports (7)
Contact:

Re: What tracks are these?

Post by BillMiddlebrook » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:46 pm

daway8 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:43 pm
Well this thread has certainly cleared everything right up...

Overlooked this closer photo earlier. Before I came along there were no other tracks. Never saw any critters up there. Would be surprised if a dog went that far out that high up on it's own.

Screenshot_20201207-123610.png
Coyote

I’ve seen them near 14k before. Once, I watched one on Mt. Guyot, at sunrise, walk up near the summit then down the NW face and back up most of it before dropping over a ridge. He looked like he knew what he was doing.
User avatar
daway8
Posts: 599
Joined: 8/25/2017
14ers:summits58 winter18 
13ers:summits73 winter21 
Trip Reports (47)

Re: What tracks are these?

Post by daway8 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:02 pm

mtree wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:44 pm
As I insinuated, they're dogs. There appears to be 2 sets. One heavier than the other. Too big for a fox or coyote. Coyotes also generally don't travel in pairs. And they probably wouldn't be following a human... unless you have a slab of smoked salmon hanging from your pack. But I guess ya never know. Maybe you smell purty to them.

Most likely another hikers dogs. Probably some stoners hanging in the rocks enjoying the view.
Ah but I was the one following the tracks - the tracks were already there when I came (the first photo was taken looking back on where I came from) but I never saw what made them. Plus there was no sign at all of any other hikers in that region that day (no other human tracks in the snow) except for the three I parted ways with on Santa Fe (who went back the other way) plus three skiers who dropped down before ever going up Santa Fe. So the dog theory seems unlikely.

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:46 pm
Coyote

I’ve seen them near 14k before. Once, I watched one on Mt. Guyot, at sunrise, walk up near the summit then down the NW face and back up most of it before dropping over a ridge. He looked like he knew what he was doing.
Well there you have it. Multiple votes for coyote with corroborating accounts of similar sightings. Would have been interesting to have been able to watch it...
RETEP 1
Posts: 129
Joined: 9/13/2015
14ers:summits56 
13ers:summits17 

Re: What tracks are these?

Post by RETEP 1 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:25 pm

+1 for coyote. I’ve seen them at 13k on Grays, Handies and Capitol. Also seen them a bunch on the saddle between Byers and Bills though that’s not quite as high.
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 2618
Joined: 12/6/2007
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits22 
Trip Reports (69)

Re: What tracks are these?

Post by nyker » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:40 pm

Fox tracks
User avatar
Squirrellysquirrel
Posts: 107
Joined: 10/17/2018
14ers: List not added

Re: What tracks are these?

Post by Squirrellysquirrel » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:37 am

Some favorites from my hikes the past few days...

1. Squirrel jumping in deep snow, each print captured his “claw marks” for the leap
2. For @greenonion: the squirrelliest prints! Not sure what was going on... two squirrels... square dancing?! Crazy. :-k
3. Bobcat, following a lot of these tracks lately
Attachments
67D1EBBF-B97D-493B-B68C-60D5B9830287.jpeg
67D1EBBF-B97D-493B-B68C-60D5B9830287.jpeg (286.06 KiB) Viewed 705 times
EF34DBC6-808B-46B4-BCB2-0DF614D55A61.jpeg
EF34DBC6-808B-46B4-BCB2-0DF614D55A61.jpeg (85.43 KiB) Viewed 705 times
EBCA2E57-6EB8-42F1-8C69-C526DA48F157.jpeg
EBCA2E57-6EB8-42F1-8C69-C526DA48F157.jpeg (101.91 KiB) Viewed 705 times
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
User avatar
greenonion
Posts: 881
Joined: 10/4/2012
14ers:summits32 winter1 
13ers:summits1 

Re: What tracks are these?

Post by greenonion » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:46 am

Squirrellysquirrel wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:37 am
Some favorites from my hikes the past few days...

1. Squirrel jumping in deep snow, each print captured his “claw marks” for the leap
2. For @greenonion: the squirrelliest prints! Not sure what was going on... two squirrels... square dancing?! Crazy. :-k
3. Bobcat, following a lot of these tracks lately
Squirrellysquirrel square dancing with squirrel-o-rama!!
A painter’s got a canvas. The writer’s got reams of empty paper. A musician has silence.

I’m all for a quiet life. I just didn’t get one.

...KR
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 2618
Joined: 12/6/2007
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits22 
Trip Reports (69)

Re: What tracks are these?

Post by nyker » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:33 am

cool. we were just watching a squirrel try to defeat a squirrel baffle on a bird feeder. Pretty entertaining. It would make a good video if narrated by that Brit newscaster who covers the soccer games.
User avatar
Squirrellysquirrel
Posts: 107
Joined: 10/17/2018
14ers: List not added

Re: What tracks are these?

Post by Squirrellysquirrel » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:52 pm

nyker wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:33 am
cool. we were just watching a squirrel try to defeat a squirrel baffle on a bird feeder. Pretty entertaining. It would make a good video if narrated by that Brit newscaster who covers the soccer games.
Along the same lines...? ... watching squirrel obstacle course videos is a satisfying waste of YouTube time. Steve Barley provides some cool ingenuity and hilarious narration; I’m certain that watching this and/or cat-cucumber videos can rectify any bad day. I’m slowly gathering support for a squirrel obstacle course across from the local brewery. Thinking to add this project to my 2021 goal list.

https://www.upworthy.com/squirrel-obsta ... e-backyard

... :lol:
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
onebyone
Posts: 498
Joined: 7/27/2012
14ers:summits58 ski1 

Re: What tracks are these?

Post by onebyone » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:24 pm

daway8 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:43 pm
Well this thread has certainly cleared everything right up...

Overlooked this closer photo earlier. Before I came along there were no other tracks. Never saw any critters up there. Would be surprised if a dog went that far out that high up on it's own.

Screenshot_20201207-123610.png
Those are coyote or dog tracks.
User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1769
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers:summits58 winter14 
13ers:summits45 winter1 
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: What tracks are these?

Post by CaptCO » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:23 pm

I’m still waiting to see a wolverine *feels disappointed*
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
onebyone
Posts: 498
Joined: 7/27/2012
14ers:summits58 ski1 

Re: What tracks are these?

Post by onebyone » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:29 pm

CaptCO wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:23 pm
I’m still waiting to see a wolverine *feels disappointed*
Seriously. That's my dream.

In North America, I still haven't seen a fisher, lynx, wolverine and polar bear. And arctic fox.

Even saw a herd of mustoxen north of the Brooks Range once.
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 2618
Joined: 12/6/2007
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits22 
Trip Reports (69)

Re: What tracks are these?

Post by nyker » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:53 pm

onebyone wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:29 pm
CaptCO wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:23 pm
I’m still waiting to see a wolverine *feels disappointed*
Seriously. That's my dream.

In North America, I still haven't seen a fisher, lynx, wolverine and polar bear. And arctic fox.

Even saw a herd of mustoxen north of the Brooks Range once.
Fishers are pretty neat, only saw one about a month ago. With the all the rodents around thought I'd see more but haven't seen any tracks in any of the recent snow. Will try and get a photo and post if I can see and get one.
Post Reply