Great Place Names

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 8123
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers:summits51 winter16 
13ers:summits41 winter13 
Trip Reports (16)
Contact:

Re: Great Place Names

Post by Scott P » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:17 pm

Screenshot_20201226-181253_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20201226-181253_Chrome.jpg (59.66 KiB) Viewed 596 times
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (211.6 KiB) Viewed 596 times
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 8123
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers:summits51 winter16 
13ers:summits41 winter13 
Trip Reports (16)
Contact:

Re: Great Place Names

Post by Scott P » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:24 pm

On one of my Belize maps:
11879261_969363849794071_8789275518602838390_o.jpg
11879261_969363849794071_8789275518602838390_o.jpg (246.08 KiB) Viewed 589 times
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
cougar
Posts: 842
Joined: 8/9/2007
14ers:summits44 winter1 
13ers:summits84 winter2 
Trip Reports (10)
Contact:

Re: Great Place Names

Post by cougar » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Screenshot_20201226-192142_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20201226-192142_Maps.jpg (36.31 KiB) Viewed 551 times
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 2570
Joined: 12/6/2007
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits22 
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Great Place Names

Post by nyker » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:23 pm

...
Attachments
xs_DSC_1636-12xsm.jpg
xs_DSC_1636-12xsm.jpg (141.32 KiB) Viewed 492 times
User avatar
cedica
Posts: 393
Joined: 6/25/2014
14ers: List not added

Re: Great Place Names

Post by cedica » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:53 pm

Few places in PA Dutch Country also come to mind: Blue Ball, Intercourse, Fertility, Bird-in-Hand... :-"
boucry
Posts: 3
Joined: 12/11/2019
14ers:summits21 
13ers:summits10 

Re: Great Place Names

Post by boucry » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:08 pm

IMG_20201226_220729.jpg
IMG_20201226_220729.jpg (271.86 KiB) Viewed 467 times
Another Acadia NP classic

IMG_20201226_221609.jpg
IMG_20201226_221609.jpg (88.7 KiB) Viewed 461 times
From SW Idaho...
User avatar
highpilgrim
Posts: 3010
Joined: 3/14/2008
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits82 winter1 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Great Place Names

Post by highpilgrim » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:44 am

Dicks seem to be a popular naming convention...

.
Tumbledown, Dickhead.JPG
Tumbledown, Dickhead.JPG (88.66 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
User avatar
Jon Frohlich
Posts: 2384
Joined: 10/14/2005
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits148 winter3 
Trip Reports (32)
Contact:

Re: Great Place Names

Post by Jon Frohlich » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:49 pm

There's a a Dicks Peak in Colorado too. There's even a trip report.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=18526
User avatar
Rollie Free
Posts: 351
Joined: 6/8/2012
14ers:summits37 

Re: Great Place Names

Post by Rollie Free » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:03 pm

Jon Frohlich wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:49 pm
There's a a Dicks Peak in Colorado too. There's even a trip report.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=18526
Dang Jon, that's funny. It took me a few sentences but I started chuckling all the way through.
Reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic.
User avatar
nmjameswilson
Posts: 166
Joined: 9/7/2018
14ers:summits37 
13ers:summits7 
Contact:

Re: Great Place Names

Post by nmjameswilson » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:04 pm

SkiFree wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:47 am
Truth or Consequence, New Mexico

A town in New Mexico that had the bright idea to change their name to a popular 1950 radio segment so that they would broadcast an episode from their town, all in the hopes of becoming a big tourist destination.


Well over 60 years later no one knows about the Truth or Consequence game show and to pour salt in the wound. Everyone forgot about the awsome hot springs in the area that the town was originally named after.
I grew up in T. or C. and it was a great place in the 1980's with the lake near by. It would become the second largest city in the state on 4th of July and Memorial Day Weekend back then.
It has since been hit by meth badly and most nice things about the area is gone as the lake is always very low now.
User avatar
CaptainSuburbia
Posts: 501
Joined: 10/7/2017
14ers:summits58 winter31 
13ers:summits94 winter17 
Trip Reports (28)

Re: Great Place Names

Post by CaptainSuburbia » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:14 pm

nmjameswilson wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:04 pm
SkiFree wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:47 am
Truth or Consequence, New Mexico

A town in New Mexico that had the bright idea to change their name to a popular 1950 radio segment so that they would broadcast an episode from their town, all in the hopes of becoming a big tourist destination.


Well over 60 years later no one knows about the Truth or Consequence game show and to pour salt in the wound. Everyone forgot about the awsome hot springs in the area that the town was originally named after.
I grew up in T. or C. and it was a great place in the 1980's with the lake near by. It would become the second largest city in the state on 4th of July and Memorial Day Weekend back then.
It has since been hit by meth badly and most nice things about the area is gone as the lake is always very low now.
I'm surprised the town didn't take off after the Kiefer Sutherland movie called T or C NM.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
User avatar
nmjameswilson
Posts: 166
Joined: 9/7/2018
14ers:summits37 
13ers:summits7 
Contact:

Re: Great Place Names

Post by nmjameswilson » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:20 pm

CaptainSuburbia wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:14 pm
nmjameswilson wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:04 pm
SkiFree wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:47 am
Truth or Consequence, New Mexico

A town in New Mexico that had the bright idea to change their name to a popular 1950 radio segment so that they would broadcast an episode from their town, all in the hopes of becoming a big tourist destination.


Well over 60 years later no one knows about the Truth or Consequence game show and to pour salt in the wound. Everyone forgot about the awsome hot springs in the area that the town was originally named after.
I grew up in T. or C. and it was a great place in the 1980's with the lake near by. It would become the second largest city in the state on 4th of July and Memorial Day Weekend back then.
It has since been hit by meth badly and most nice things about the area is gone as the lake is always very low now.
I'm surprised the town didn't take off after the Kiefer Sutherland movie called T or C NM.
I had forgotten about it actually .... nothing was filmed in T. or C. though. I might have to go see it again lol
Post Reply