Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Candace66
Posts: 162
Joined: 1/23/2017
14ers:summits42 winter1 
13ers:summits180 winter4 
Contact:

Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by Candace66 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:20 pm

K2 is the only 8000-meter peak that still hasn't been climbed in winter.

Reportedly, there are around 70 climbers on at least four different teams currently at K2! All hoping to score a winter ascent. :shock:

Follow along here: http://k2climb.net/

A December 16 opinion piece regarding the situation: https://explorersweb.com/2020/12/16/are ... winter-k2/
"One criterion for climbing a peak is that you should gain a vertical height under your own power equal to your peak's rise from its highest connecting saddle with a neighbor peak...Beyond this minimum gain, you are free to gain as much altitude as your peak-bagging conscience requires." - Gerry Roach, "Colorado 14ers" :wink:
User avatar
HikerGuy
Posts: 926
Joined: 5/25/2006
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits192 winter8 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by HikerGuy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:48 pm

But of course, Dr. Jon is there. Can't wait to hear all about his "summit" of K2. He's partnered with Colin O'Brady, I can't think of a more two more perfectly paired self-promoting douchebags.
pvnisher
Posts: 1400
Joined: 9/29/2006
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by pvnisher » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:01 am

I haven't been following but if I were to place bets it would be on any team from Poland.
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 2567
Joined: 12/6/2007
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits22 
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by nyker » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:58 am

Pretty amazing. Putting politics aside, it's hard to imagine a lifestyle enabling one to dedicate the time to climb like that.
They should make a new and improved version of the original K2 movie from 30yrs ago.
User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1552
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers:summits58 winter12 
13ers:summits43 
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by CaptCO » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:04 am

nyker wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:58 am
Pretty amazing. Putting politics aside, it's hard to imagine a lifestyle enabling one to dedicate the time to climb like that.
They should make a new and improved version of the original K2 movie from 30yrs ago.
I still have this on VHS, would be cool to see. Team Nims over here
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool
User avatar
cottonmountaineering
Posts: 531
Joined: 5/11/2018
14ers:summits58 ski6 winter18 
13ers:summits161 ski20 winter27 

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by cottonmountaineering » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:08 am

seven summit treks is notorious for accidents, hopefully things work out for the polish team
pvnisher
Posts: 1400
Joined: 9/29/2006
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by pvnisher » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:11 am

I feel like I'd have one tank Os and one tank propane for some in suit heating.

Of course, I can't see anything going wrong with that setup.
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 2567
Joined: 12/6/2007
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits22 
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by nyker » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:11 am

CaptCO wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:04 am
nyker wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:58 am
Pretty amazing. Putting politics aside, it's hard to imagine a lifestyle enabling one to dedicate the time to climb like that.
They should make a new and improved version of the original K2 movie from 30yrs ago.
I still have this on VHS, would be cool to see. Team Nims over here
I do too, its a fun watch once in a while
User avatar
I Man
Posts: 984
Joined: 7/18/2011
14ers:summits58 winter49 
13ers:summits73 winter12 
Trip Reports (30)
Contact:

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by I Man » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:28 am

This is pretty upsetting overall. Each of the other 13 8000ers were summitted by small teams in good style. K2 has repelled every attempt and now it seems the global community is saying "enough is enough, let's just throw every resource we have and get it done - and hey let's sell commercial spots to make some money while we are at it." Nothing is sacred anymore. I would say that I hope no one gets it, but the same circus will just happen next year in that case.

When I was at K2 basecamp in 2017, it was pretty crazy how many people were there and many with much less experience than you would expect for a mountain like K2

Kushrocks knows what I'm talking about :lol: :lol:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
timisimaginary
Posts: 409
Joined: 11/19/2017
14ers:summits2 
13ers:summits1 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by timisimaginary » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:05 pm

HikerGuy wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:48 pm
But of course, Dr. Jon is there. Can't wait to hear all about his "summit" of K2. He's partnered with Colin O'Brady, I can't think of a more two more perfectly paired self-promoting douchebags.
he'll "climb" it the same way he "climbed" Everest without oxygen... he'll go partway up, fail to summit, then spend the next two years giving countless interviews and paid speeches about how he "climbed" K2 in winter, while carefully avoiding the word "summitted" and never making any mention of the fact he never got near the top.
social distancing since the day i was born...
User avatar
ker0uac
Posts: 425
Joined: 8/30/2016
14ers: List not added

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by ker0uac » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:54 pm

If I were a billionaire, I would pay the Pakistani government to book the mountain for the whole winter, hire the best sherpa/guides, and get it done drama-free.

Billionaires are so boring... I'd do so many cool stuff with ma money
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
User avatar
JChitwood
Posts: 401
Joined: 8/29/2011
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits36 

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by JChitwood » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:07 pm

timisimaginary wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:05 pm
HikerGuy wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:48 pm
But of course, Dr. Jon is there. Can't wait to hear all about his "summit" of K2. He's partnered with Colin O'Brady, I can't think of a more two more perfectly paired self-promoting douchebags.
he'll "climb" it the same way he "climbed" Everest without oxygen... he'll go partway up, fail to summit, then spend the next two years giving countless interviews and paid speeches about how he "climbed" K2 in winter, while carefully avoiding the word "summitted" and never making any mention of the fact he never got near the top.
I heard he’s going to spend the night on the summit.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Post Reply