Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by I Man »

kushrocks wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:43 pm K2 winter attempts are not over. This needs a bump right now as climbers Ali Sadparra a Pakistan legend along with John Sonorri attempted K2 over the last few days trying to be the second group ever to summit in winter. There was lots of misinformation and preemptive congratulations due to Sonorri's spot going all over the place and his wife thinking it looked like they the summit but so far nothing is confirmed. All their radios and ways of communication have failed due to the cold. They have not been heard from for close to 16 hours and sun is just about to rise with really high deadly winds increasing every hour. Ali Sadparra's son who turned around is in Camp 3 waiting to hear the fate of his father. It is currently around -50f with -76f wind chills and winds increasing to near -90 to -100 wind chills. They need to get down fast.

Also Athanas Scotov with 11 8000 meter peaks summit died in a fall near camp 3 sometime in the last 24 hours. His body was recovered at 5500 meteres meaning he fell around 5 or 6000 feet. RIP
No news going into the 2nd night for Ali Sadpara and team. Not looking good, very sad. Ali is an amazing climber and all around guy. Below is a photo of him on his way to Camp 3 on Broad peak, around 7,100m on one of our acclimitization rounds in July 2017.
Ali is a professional climber, having climbed all 5 of Pakistan's 8000m peak, including making the first winter ascent of Nanga Parbat in 2016. He has also climbed Manaslu and Everest. If anyone can make it down from K2 in winter, it's Ali...hoping for the best
Attachments
Ali Sadpara Broad peak.jpg
Ali Sadpara Broad peak.jpg (110.17 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
Last edited by I Man on Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by kushrocks »

I shared this insane camp at 23,760ft on Dhaulagiri with Juan Pablo in 2018. We were in base camp together for weeks and we didn't talk much nor did I get to know him well because of our language barriers. I do remember he liked to chat with me about our weather forecasts I receieved from Chris Tomer in our limited conversations trying to understand each other. He was a nice guy with a big laugh and was just so insanely strong.

Rest in Peace Juan
Attachments
20210208_120951.jpg
20210208_120951.jpg (110.39 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."