Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by Candace66 »

K2 is the only 8000-meter peak that still hasn't been climbed in winter.

Reportedly, there are around 70 climbers on at least four different teams currently at K2! All hoping to score a winter ascent. :shock:

Follow along here: http://k2climb.net/

A December 16 opinion piece regarding the situation: https://explorersweb.com/2020/12/16/are ... winter-k2/
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Anyone following the winter action on K2?

Post by HikerGuy »

But of course, Dr. Jon is there. Can't wait to hear all about his "summit" of K2. He's partnered with Colin O'Brady, I can't think of a more two more perfectly paired self-promoting douchebags.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I haven't been following but if I were to place bets it would be on any team from Poland.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Pretty amazing. Putting politics aside, it's hard to imagine a lifestyle enabling one to dedicate the time to climb like that.
They should make a new and improved version of the original K2 movie from 30yrs ago.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

seven summit treks is notorious for accidents, hopefully things work out for the polish team
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I feel like I'd have one tank Os and one tank propane for some in suit heating.

Of course, I can't see anything going wrong with that setup.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:04 am
nyker wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:58 am Pretty amazing. Putting politics aside, it's hard to imagine a lifestyle enabling one to dedicate the time to climb like that.
They should make a new and improved version of the original K2 movie from 30yrs ago.
I still have this on VHS, would be cool to see. Team Nims over here
I do too, its a fun watch once in a while
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

This is pretty upsetting overall. Each of the other 13 8000ers were summitted by small teams in good style. K2 has repelled every attempt and now it seems the global community is saying "enough is enough, let's just throw every resource we have and get it done - and hey let's sell commercial spots to make some money while we are at it." Nothing is sacred anymore. I would say that I hope no one gets it, but the same circus will just happen next year in that case.

When I was at K2 basecamp in 2017, it was pretty crazy how many people were there and many with much less experience than you would expect for a mountain like K2

Kushrocks knows what I'm talking about :lol: :lol:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

HikerGuy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:48 pm But of course, Dr. Jon is there. Can't wait to hear all about his "summit" of K2. He's partnered with Colin O'Brady, I can't think of a more two more perfectly paired self-promoting douchebags.
he'll "climb" it the same way he "climbed" Everest without oxygen... he'll go partway up, fail to summit, then spend the next two years giving countless interviews and paid speeches about how he "climbed" K2 in winter, while carefully avoiding the word "summitted" and never making any mention of the fact he never got near the top.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

If I were a billionaire, I would pay the Pakistani government to book the mountain for the whole winter, hire the best sherpa/guides, and get it done drama-free.

Billionaires are so boring... I'd do so many cool stuff with ma money
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:05 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:48 pm But of course, Dr. Jon is there. Can't wait to hear all about his "summit" of K2. He's partnered with Colin O'Brady, I can't think of a more two more perfectly paired self-promoting douchebags.
he'll "climb" it the same way he "climbed" Everest without oxygen... he'll go partway up, fail to summit, then spend the next two years giving countless interviews and paid speeches about how he "climbed" K2 in winter, while carefully avoiding the word "summitted" and never making any mention of the fact he never got near the top.
I heard he’s going to spend the night on the summit.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:05 pm
I thought you guys were joking about him being there. F, he really is!

We're truly blessed to live in times such as these when gods walk amongst us.