What's everyone's hobbies outside mountaineering?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Re: What's everyone's hobbies outside mountaineering?

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Outside of hiking, I spend my time working out, rock climbing (or training for climbing),playing video games (deep on the rocket league grind), watching twitch, cooking, and I'm a huuuuuge Trail Blazers fan. I also love annoying my dog as much as possible.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Outside of hiking/scrambling up mountains, resort alpine skiing is my top outdoor activity with some backcountry mixed in. I get out on my mountain bike a little (dirt roads, not much for singletrack), rock climbing and some canyoneering (some rappels/scrambling but generally non-tech).

Indoors I enjoy cooking, movies/TV, trivia and logic puzzles, music (mainly when driving) and reading (mainly when camping). Having Disney+ I have enjoyed exploring their Nat Geo documentary library.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

12ersRule wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:24 am Whenever I'm on a hiking outing with other people or a climbing gathering, I'm the most boring person there.
Not from my experience....
Dave Shafer Canyon overlook.small.jpg
Dave Shafer Canyon overlook.small.jpg (170.25 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
12ersRule wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:27 am Who is your EPL team?

I just started watching overseas pro soccer because of COVID. Decided for now it is Chelsea because of Pulisic.

How are conditions at Loveland these days?
EPL: Man U (primarily because my son became a ManU suppporter when David Beckham played for them). Although I have also become a Leicester CIty fan after their title run a couple years ago. And I'd like to see Pulisic succeed at Chelsea. Quite an honor to wear #10 at a big Euro Club.

I can't speak to Loveland conditions this year (or last). (Chemo side effects make me cold sensitive)
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

Pie - baking and eating. Rugby - not much playing these days but still love to watch, excited for the first round of Six Nations. Football - I came in 3rd in my Fantasy league which is equivalent to coming in last cause only 1 & 2 get a cash prize and since the Cowboys suck this year I won't be watching anymore until next season. Whiskey - love trying new samples and received a dram tasting set for xmas, woohoo! Deadlifts - cause I like to lift things up and put them down. Rock climbing as much as possible and stoked on ice climbing season.

Also, according to CC I need to get laid so there's that.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Aside from other outdoor activities, I play a lot of poker, watch and play hockey (Go Avs!), play board games, and go to trivia nights at breweries. I used to golf a lot, but there are too many other things to do in Colorado on a nice weather day.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

rijaca wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:23 am
Who is your EPL team?

I just started watching overseas pro soccer because of COVID. Decided for now it is Chelsea because of Pulisic.

My wife and I took our honeymoon to Kilimanjaro where I discovered EPL and LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB. COVID has only intensified my obsession, as has the NBC broadcasting and how popular it has become in the USA. Mo Salah is amazing to watch.

Pre-COVID my biggest interest outside of climbing was live music, which I always struggled to find a balance between mountains and music. I've seen Phish and The Disco Biscuits about 80x each ("I Man" is a Biscuits song).

I have moved a bit away from climbing in the past couple of years and gotten very into running/trail running and expect that to be my main motivator in the coming years. Signed up for a 50 miler this fall
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Mountain biking, resort skiing (with the family - so much fun to watch my kids get better than me (almost, but not quite yet)). Legos, jigsaw puzzles, reading (fiction and non - I love audiobooks).
shays_days
14ers: 13  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shays_days »

Cool to hear about everyone's other lives, it's fun reading through this thread! The duplicate bridge player probably has the most unique hobby I've seen so far...

I've got a lot of similar hobbies to the rest of you, I've been putzing around on an acoustic guitar since college but got very into it last year (practiced ~600 hours...and I still suck) and went from 1 crappy acoustic to a nice acoustic, a tele and a strat over the course of 2020. I finally started learning music theory and why things sound good and have been having a great time understanding the instrument and playing with writing my own stuff.

I've also wanted to get into woodworking forever, so I've been making little things here and there, and I've decided to try and combine the hobbies by building my first electric guitar from scratch this year so I just started planning that process. It's an ambitious project for a complete noob like me but I'm excited about it and you gotta jump on that. I've been doing a ton of research and I'll be ecstatic if it even plays tbh, but just looking for something to pour my time into. It's awesome to see some rad projects like those sheds. Once I own property I'd love to build a tiny hideaway to hang out in, I get sucked into those Youtube build videos lol

I was extremely into parkour and freerunning for basically my entire childhood (14-22 or so) and traveled across the US and world to train with different communities which is what got me into scrambling and climbing in the first place. I still do things every now and then but just for fun. I like slacklining when it's nice out and I've tried highlining but it's absolutely the most terrifying thing ever tried, I absolutely suck but am determined to be good at it one day.

I also am pretty into landscape and wildlife photography and videography. I never go on a hike without my baby (my A7iii). I've seen moose, alpine foxes, pine martens, black bears, even a wild elephant abroad, but still have never seen a grizzly despite weeks in Wyoming...I have the worst luck.
Last edited by shays_days on Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shays_days
14ers: 13  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shays_days »

angry wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:09 am Pie - baking and eating. Rugby - not much playing these days but still love to watch, excited for the first round of Six Nations. Football - I came in 3rd in my Fantasy league which is equivalent to coming in last cause only 1 & 2 get a cash prize and since the Cowboys suck this year I won't be watching anymore until next season. Whiskey - love trying new samples and received a dram tasting set for xmas, woohoo! Deadlifts - cause I like to lift things up and put them down. Rock climbing as much as possible and stoked on ice climbing season.

Also, according to CC I need to get laid so there's that.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I miss deadlifting so much, it's absolutely my favorite feeling in the world but I don't have a home gym and gyms have so inconsistent this year :( Nothing beats the feeling of a new DL PR
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

So many things to do, with so little time to do them! And the clock is running relentlessly...

So: Designing and building things; furniture, artworks, sculpture, fussing with my house in this context, cooking, gardening, cacti growing (cat can't f**k with them, so far), cat supervision (a full time and often fruitless black hole of energy suck), laughing at conspiracy theories latest plotlines which my nutbag brother sends me via youtube content. STAY AWAY from pizza parlor basements!!!! Pouring concrete is a recent go-to for getting exercise during this episode of "It's just the Flu".

One for Ricky:

colorado green chile heuvos.jpg
colorado green chile heuvos.jpg (143.86 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
House work, always in play:
stair.jpg
stair.jpg (136.47 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
house fussing.jpg
house fussing.jpg (144.05 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

And I can't forget the doomsday machine in a quiet moment while contemplating his next target. Which is why I'm putting my fish aquarium outside where he can't access it.

Cholla the destroya.jpg
Cholla the destroya.jpg (217.4 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
.fish tank in progress
fish tank pending.jpg
fish tank pending.jpg (265.22 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Pilgrim, it appears you collect rocks too!
Edit: and is that a rock mini-monolith at the bottom of your stairs??

I need a life.
That is what this informative and interesting thread has taught me.