What's everyone's hobbies outside mountaineering?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: What's everyone's hobbies outside mountaineering?

Post by nyker »

This thread sounds like a collection of online personal ads.
'if you like pina coladas and gettin' caught in the rain...

"I like long walks on the beach" ha ha

ok...so, aside from mountaineering, I'll say fitness, landscape and wildlife photography, martial arts, surf fishing, marksmanship, golf and thanks to COVID seem to have become a part time lumberjack...
and lastly, travelling to remote wild places when we can travel normally and safely again.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

d_baker wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:00 pm Pilgrim, it appears you collect rocks too!
Pilgrim collects cactus also. Digs them up on his desert adventures (allegedly) and takes them home.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

rijaca wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:04 pm
d_baker wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:00 pm Pilgrim, it appears you collect rocks too!
Pilgrim collects cactus also. Digs them up on his desert adventures (allegedly) and takes them home.
Hmmm, somewhat of a prick, is he?
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

d_baker wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:05 pm
rijaca wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:04 pm
Hmmm, somewhat of a prick, is he?
Nah, He's a Dick.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

shays_days wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:54 am
angry wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:09 am Pie - baking and eating. Rugby - not much playing these days but still love to watch, excited for the first round of Six Nations. Football - I came in 3rd in my Fantasy league which is equivalent to coming in last cause only 1 & 2 get a cash prize and since the Cowboys suck this year I won't be watching anymore until next season. Whiskey - love trying new samples and received a dram tasting set for xmas, woohoo! Deadlifts - cause I like to lift things up and put them down. Rock climbing as much as possible and stoked on ice climbing season.

Also, according to CC I need to get laid so there's that.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I miss deadlifting so much, it's absolutely my favorite feeling in the world but I don't have a home gym and gyms have so inconsistent this year :( Nothing beats the feeling of a new DL PR
Yes, it is my favorite too! I haven't tested a 1RM in forever but that last time I did (a couple years ago) I was at 205lbs at 115lbs bodyweight. I'd like to see 2.5x bodyweight one of these days, just got to get back on a consistent strength cycle.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Edit: and is that a rock mini-monolith at the bottom of your stairs??

I need a life.
That is what this informative and interesting thread has taught me.
Darin you need a house. Not a condo where someone else takes care of almost everything. Get a house. Buy or rent some machinery. Have fun resculpting the yards and making stuff.

I had 10 days off over the holidays and hiked only a few days. The other days were working on our house. Instant other hobby! Gotta keep the cats happy.

Looking good Pilgrim!
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by habaceeba »

angry wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:11 pm
shays_days wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:54 am
angry wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:09 am Pie - baking and eating. Rugby - not much playing these days but still love to watch, excited for the first round of Six Nations. Football - I came in 3rd in my Fantasy league which is equivalent to coming in last cause only 1 & 2 get a cash prize and since the Cowboys suck this year I won't be watching anymore until next season. Whiskey - love trying new samples and received a dram tasting set for xmas, woohoo! Deadlifts - cause I like to lift things up and put them down. Rock climbing as much as possible and stoked on ice climbing season.

Also, according to CC I need to get laid so there's that.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I miss deadlifting so much, it's absolutely my favorite feeling in the world but I don't have a home gym and gyms have so inconsistent this year :( Nothing beats the feeling of a new DL PR
Yes, it is my favorite too! I haven't tested a 1RM in forever but that last time I did (a couple years ago) I was at 205lbs at 115lbs bodyweight. I'd like to see 2.5x bodyweight one of these days, just got to get back on a consistent strength cycle.
Deadlifts are my favorite exercise. In fact, I got some in at Evo Lou just an hour ago along with my squats. Pre-Covid I was pulling up over 300lbs. at 170lbs, but today 175lbs. was enough.

I enjoy gardening, skiing (inbounds, backcountry occasionally), fly fishing, kayak fishing for lake trout, raising two daughters, and woodworking. There's never enough time for it all.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

My other hobby is coin collecting, mostly pennies. I’m back to 1843 now in consecutive years (1843-present). This hobby doesn’t really have much in common with hiking / climbing / 14ers, although there is one glaring similarity. It offers an opportunity to complete checklists.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Edit: and is that a rock mini-monolith at the bottom of your stairs??

I need a life.
That is what this informative and interesting thread has taught me.

Yes, it is indeed a big rock from the vicinity of Blanca. 250 pounds worth. I see it as a reinterpreted newel post. The medium rock balanced on it is from TexASS and the little one is from the Arctic Ocean, near Barrow. I track their lineage. :lol: Yes, you probably could stand a few diversions, other than Steph, climbing and golf courses.
kimo wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:23 pm Looking good Pilgrim!
I often hear that as I age like a fine wine. Thanks, Kimo! I'd like to see some of your home tending if you're inclined. And you're right about machinery; I bought my own cement mixer and I'm going to town. Lots of aggression can be burned off with that thing and 500 hundred or so bags of concrete.

Btw, I'm working on my online epidemiology degree right now in my free time, such as it is.
d_baker wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:05 pm Hmmm, somewhat of a prick, is he?
If I were a prick, instead of a Dick, there is NO WAY I would be a halfprick, as Ricky knows firsthand.
rijaca wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:04 pm Pilgrim collects cactus also. Digs them up on his desert adventures (allegedly) and takes them home.
I have plastic containers that befuddle the TSA folks every time, because they're full of pricks that prick them because they don't respond well to warnings about what not to mess with. I guess it's a payback of sorts. :mrgreen:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

highpilgrim wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:12 pm and the little one is from the Arctic Ocean, near Barrow. I track their lineage. :lol: Yes, you probably could stand a few diversions, other than Steph, climbing and golf courses.
Dude, you are a true Renaissance Man.

However, Barrow is an Imperialist's name. It's Utqiagvik.
Last edited by 12ersRule on Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

12ersRule wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:25 pm However, Barrow is an warlord's name. It's Utqiagvik.
Yes, indeed it is, antisocial one. :lol: Thank you for correcting me on the matter. It's time we treat the Indians, all of them, with the respect they are due. I'm reading a great book right now; Lakota America. Hoka Hey!!!! https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/22/book ... ainen.html

Oh wait!; that's another thread...

Dude, you have to start camping some and you can pilgrimage with me and Ricky in the spring!!!

Btw: I liked Kaktovik far more than Utqiagvik. The Brooks Range is right there on a clear day!
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

highpilgrim wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:31 pm Dude, you have to start camping some and you can pilgrimage with me and Ricky in the spring!!!
For sure. This spring is going to be a crazy one, though. I'll fill you in later!