What's everyone's hobbies outside mountaineering?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Re: What's everyone's hobbies outside mountaineering?

Post by dr_j »

Snowboarding in the winter, piano, opera, spontaneous travel (not now unfortunately). Architecture and preservation, collecting old recordings.
IG: jc_solitude
Fletch Lives
14ers: 47  17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fletch Lives »

I enjoy skinny-skiing and going to bullfights on acid.
Uh. Well, I've sinned. I didn't take any Polaroids or anything. But, yeah, I've sinned.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:58 pm PMW
Possibly accurate post on the W, and even using some small amounts of M to get the W. But P? :roll: :lol: My eyes rolled so hard I had to go be seen for globe luxation.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I have too many outside interests which no doubt hurts my mountain climbing. I cycled (road and mountain) 184 days last year, took up tennis again and played one day a week starting in August after not playing for 30 years (damn tennis is a young person’s sport), and go to 24 Hr Fitness twice a week in a futile effort to replace muscle lost from aging. Also in 2020 I finally made my basement into a real rec room with arcade games, foosball, air hockey, two pinballs, and table tennis. Can’t tell you how many hours I’ve blown playing Ms. Pac Man, Donkey Kong, and Galaga which contributes zero to high altitude fitness. My favorite is table tennis and I spend a lot of time practicing serves and hitting against the half table, but it’s hard to find someone to play with that is even average. I’m a decent player but in reality I probably couldn’t take a point off an average 8 year old in China. Lastly, and worst of all, I spent months remodeling my bar and learning to mix cocktails. With close to a hundred bottles of whisky I figured I might as well sample some and ended up drinking way more than I had since college 40 years ago. So now I am participating in Dry January.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Biking - I broke 2000 miles for the first time last year, mostly riding boring flat city roads on my mountain bike.
Chess - was once a good player, now I'm a spectator.
Skiing - lift-served alpine at Loveland, Monarch, Cooper. Haven't been to A-Basin for a few years, they may have jumped the shark.
Also like reading, walking around, watching sports, listening to recorded music.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
JulianSmith
14ers: 57  41  13 
13ers: 52 8 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JulianSmith »

Aikido, Jodo, & Iaido
Mountain Biking
Skiing
Rock Climbing
Ice Climbing
AutoCAD
Studying Italian and Spanish
Travel
Watching bicycle racing
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

NYT crossword puzzle - do it every day.
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

Storm Chasing - Over 150 tornadoes seen
4.jpg
4.jpg (71.24 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
Photography
2.jpg
2.jpg (81.36 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
Bass fishing
bass.jpg
bass.jpg (159.84 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Nice shot of Monument Rocks!
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

Barnold41 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:08 am Nice shot of Monument Rocks!
Thank you ... that is on my wall behind my couch in 6'x18"
Last edited by nmjameswilson on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
glenmiz
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Tennis, skiing, playing golf and guitar (badly), Travel, being with other people (in person).
Aim high to end high
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

nmjameswilson wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:14 am Thank you ... that is on my wall behind my couch in 6'x18"
I lived in eastern KS for 25 years and never visited a lot of the western part of the state, although I would love to see that in person.

Do you live out that way?