What's the best type of training?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TomPierce
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (2)

Re: What's the best type of training?

Post by TomPierce » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:28 pm

nyker wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:11 pm
Yea, the city was getting stressful. By mid-summer more than a dozen people died in our apartment building due to COVID and our building was under
strict controls which was bad enough. Then in August, a man outside on our sidewalk was shot and two others stabbed the same week not to mention the crime pickup elsewhere in the city.
My colleague was having dinner outside a block away and was randomly punched in the face and threatened with a syringe, same day a guy was running after people with an axe and another raped someone midday in the subway next day,
The week when a bunch of NYPD cars were blown up following all the store break-ins and bicycle gangs attacking vehicles, I said that was it. Since we are not allowed to return to work,
we waited until I could negotiate the lease and we moved upstate to a small cabin in the woods.
Wow, how incredibly sad & scary. I hope you enjoy your new home. I know you like the Adirondacks, should be closer to those, right? Be safe & enjoy!

-Tom
nyker
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits22 
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:23 am

Thanks Tom, yep I'll be a lot closer to a few trailheads. I suspect after this week's storms I can get out on weekends with the snowshoes and hit a few peaks soon
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter12 
13ers:summits43 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:36 am

nyker wrote:
Yea, the city was getting stressful. By mid-summer more than a dozen people died in our apartment building due to COVID and our building was under
strict controls which was bad enough. Then in August, a man outside on our sidewalk was shot and two others stabbed the same week not to mention the crime pickup elsewhere in the city.
My colleague was having dinner outside a block away and was randomly punched in the face and threatened with a syringe, same day a guy was running after people with an axe and another raped someone midday in the subway next day,
The week when a bunch of NYPD cars were blown up following all the store break-ins and bicycle gangs attacking vehicles, I said that was it. Since we are not allowed to return to work,
we waited until I could negotiate the lease and we moved upstate to a small cabin in the woods.
No sleep til Brooklyn!
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool
greenonion
14ers:summits32 winter1 
13ers:summits1 

Post by greenonion » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:17 am

TomPierce wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:28 pm
nyker wrote:
Wow, how incredibly sad & scary. I hope you enjoy your new home. I know you like the Adirondacks, should be closer to those, right? Be safe & enjoy!

-Tom
Agreed. Glad you got out of there Rob. Enjoy the peace!
A painter’s got a canvas. The writer’s got reams of empty paper. A musician has silence.

I’m all for a quiet life. I just didn’t get one.

...Keith Richards
timisimaginary
14ers:summits2 
13ers:summits1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:34 pm

nyker wrote:
sounds like a missed opportunity. running away from an axe-wielding maniac makes for great cardio training.
social distancing since the day i was born...
highpilgrim
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits82 winter1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:39 pm

timisimaginary wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:34 pm
sounds like a missed opportunity. running away from an axe-wielding maniac makes for great cardio training.
Except an old guy (not necessarily nyker) who tries to run from a bunch of young hoodlums, is gonna be caught shortly and then have to fight while already gassed out. Probably better to stand his ground and just shoot the assholes.

Although the cardio would not work as well.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
climbingcue
14ers:summits58 ski6 winter16 
13ers:summits128 ski7 winter8 

Post by climbingcue » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:31 pm

highpilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:39 pm
timisimaginary wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:34 pm
Except an old guy (not necessarily nyker) who tries to run from a bunch of young hoodlums, is gonna be caught shortly and then have to fight while already gassed out. Probably better to stand his ground and just shoot the assholes.

Although the cardio would not work as well.
Guns are outlawed in NYC, only the criminals have them. Only the super rich can get a carry permit, and even then it is almost impossible.
Consecutive months with at least one 14er, 35 months.