Wasatch peaks.

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Wasatch peaks.

Post by Jbrow327 »

Anybody here with knowledge of the Wasatch? What peaks do you recommend for a beginner? Also, can you rank the eleveners from easiest to hardest? Which elevener would you recommend for a beginner?
It's a very bad snow year here in slc. Of course there's snow on the higher peaks but it doesn't look like much. Makes for a great peakbagging opportunity for a beginner it seems.
akonks
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wasatch peaks.

Post by akonks »

I don’t have extensive knowledge as far as rankings go, but I do live in SLC and moved here from PA (flat land). My first peak here was actually Timpanogos. But it was August. I took my dog and had a blast. I recently did Grandeur west face and did the loop route down the opposite side to the pipeline, up the canyon, and back to the west face trailhead. 11 mile day and super doable right now and the west face is a good super steep short training trail. I’d maybe take advantage since it’s normally a high avy route when we actually have snow. Grandeur from church fork was also one of my firsts. It’s easy going in winter. Another good super steep and short one I like is mount wire from pioneer park. Mahogany peak is right in front of timp, but it’s another super steep jaunt. I’d think a beginner could do any of these I’ve mentioned. Especially right now because we don’t have snow on the wasatch front. Id like to venture into the cottonwoods but they’re just so busy. There is a lot more avy risk right now too. And the need for an ice ax for peaks like pfeifferhorn. But I have done a few up there. I’d like to try mount Raymond in the winter from the millcreek side. Frary peak on antelope island in winter is also nice since any other season there are way too many gnats. I’ve done a lot around here though, but honestly don’t know the exact height of most of them. Sorry this is probably all over the place. Feel free to reach out. There are a lot more options once late spring hits, but I’m sure you don’t wanna wait that long. If you stick to the wasatch front peaks you’re likely safe since winter is nonexistent right now here and plenty of people are still running up those peaks. Spikes still necessary though.
Last edited by akonks on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

Scott P. is going to have the best advice on this. He's the resident Utah expert on 14ers.com.

Are you skinning up and skiing down or snowshoeing?

Assuming you are hiking/snowshoeing: as long as you watch avvy conditions most of the peaks in Big and Little Cottonwood aren't too bad because the lengths are so short (Wasatch climbing=short but steep). Not too many of the peaks are that technical, even in winter, but you really need to watch avalanche conditions and avoid avalanche-prone slopes. And know how to properly use an ice axe when it is called for.

I'd probably start with something like Grandeur Peak via Mill Creek and work up from there. Jared Hargrave's "Backcountry Ski and Snowboard Routes" is worth checking out from a library even if you aren't planning on skiing/boarding. It gives some good route advice and avalanche areas to avoid on many of the major peaks.

Timp and Nebo are the real prizes of the Wasatch, but they're both pretty serious undertakings in the winter. Those would be goals to work up to if you want to concentrate on the Wasatch.

If you want to up your game and trade the short but steep Wasatch for the long but gentle Uintas, Kings and Gilbert (two highest peaks in Utah) are both quite doable in late winter once the drilling companies plow the roads (usually right at the end of calendar winter).

And, again, watch avvy conditions. If you aren't comfortable travelling in avalanche terrain, wait until the summer.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Paging Scott P ;)
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Andrew Russell
14ers: 54 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andrew Russell »

Lol, Jbrow is at it again
@andysoutdooradventures
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

Scott P gonna flip his table when he sees this :lol:
The only time I lower the bar is après
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Exiled Michigander wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:38 pm Scott P. is going to have the best advice on this.
No because he already asked these exact questions many times. He's a troll.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Is this guy using us (and by "us", I mean Scott P) to do research for his local newspaper articles or something?

Kinda feels like he's got writing assignments or something.