What's your favorite mountaineering books?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

What's your favorite mountaineering books?

Post by Jbrow327 »

Autobiographies, novels, fiction, non fiction, etc.
What's your favorite?
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What's your favorite mountaineering books?

Post by CoHi591 »

Anatoli's Above the Clouds was the one that made the biggest impression on me. Also maybe No Shortcuts To The Top.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

David Roberts.
"Mountain of my Fear"
And,
"Deborah: A Wilderness Narrative"
crestone14ers
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crestone14ers »

The White Spider... Harrer
Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage... Buhl
Everest, The West Ridge... Hornbein
Annapurna... Herzog
Conquistadors of the Useless... Terry
The Grand Controversy... Bonney
Spirit of the Age... Robbins
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Krakauer: Into Thin Air and Eiger Dreams

I know peeps take issue with his agenda, but from sheer storytelling, he’s great.

Heinrich Harrer: The White Spider, on the ascent of the Eiger and Seven Years in Tibet. The last not exclusively a climbing book but still.

The Duke of Abuzzi: An Explorers Life. He was a pioneer on K2 and noteworthy for the way he documented that effort.

Minus 148 Degrees: The First Winter Ascent of Mt. McKinley by Art Davidson. Read the title! Nuff said.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Txhiker42
14ers: 27 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Txhiker42 »

Currently reading Winter 8000: Climbing the World’s Highest Mountains in the Coldest Season by Bernadette McDonald. Fascinating read. It’s current up until 2019 and I wonder if there will eventually be an updated version with the story of the recent K2 winter ascent.
It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun. -Jeff Lowe
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

1+ Annapurna. It’s a classic. This is a really long book and would be great to take on an expedition.
The edge of the map. The mountain life of Christine Boskoff. Just finished this and it was really good. A look at the transition from old school to the current way big mountains are climbed. She was something!
Karakoram: Climbing through the Kashmir Conflict. Steve Swenson is the boss!
Anything by Ed Viestures
Enduring Patagonia This guy was crazy.
Freedom Climbers. A great look at Polish Mountaineering. It’s a reminder of why the Poles are considered some of the toughest mountain climbers in the world.

Enjoy!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Craig Barlow
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Craig Barlow »

"The Last Season" by Eric Blehm is fantastic. It's about the search for missing backcountry ranger, Randy Morgensen, in the Sierra Nevada.
RobbS
14ers: 36 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobbS »

d_baker wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:46 pm David Roberts.
"Mountain of my Fear"
And,
"Deborah: A Wilderness Narrative"
I'll put in another mention for Roberts. These two are must reads. "Escape from Lucania" is another great one. If you dig further into Roberts work, he'll take you on some amazing adventures and into history as well. Highly recommended!

Also, that Art Davidson "Minus 148 Degrees" book mentioned before really is amazing.

For a fascinating piece of obscure mountaineering history check out "No Picnic on Mount Kenya" by Felice Benuzzi.

Finally, if you haven't read "The Ascent of Rum Doodle" by W.E. Bowman then you have not read the most classic mountaineering book of all time.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Craig Barlow wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:01 am "The Last Season" by Eric Blehm is fantastic. It's about the search for missing backcountry ranger, Randy Morgensen, in the Sierra Nevada.
+1 Very good book.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

highpilgrim wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:04 pm Krakauer: Into Thin Air and Eiger Dreams

I know peeps take issue with his agenda, but from sheer storytelling, he’s great.
I'm reading Eiger Dreams right now. Don't know how I missed it for over a decade. What's his agenda?
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

Mountaineering in the Sierra Nevada by Clarence King.

King's commanding blend of an analytical, geological, and romantic narrative style married with such a pioneer mentality is exemplary. Originally written in 1872, the writing style can be a bit dense and King is not innocent of nineteenth century prejudices against Native Americans, but a thoroughly enjoyable read nonetheless.
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85