What's your favorite mountaineering books?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What's your favorite mountaineering books?

Post by markf »

johnt wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:44 am
docjohn wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:56 am Scrambles Amongst the Alps, Edward Whymper
Travels Amongst the Great Andes of the Equator, Edward Whymper
Everest: the West Ridge, Hornbein
The Hall of the Mountain King, Snyder,
and of course:
The Ascent of Rum Doodle, W. E. Bowman,
Hands down - The Ascent of Rum Doodle! All other books pale in comparison. I've never known anyone else who has read it.
The Ascent of Rum Doodle is excellent! I wish I knew where my copy was. Not long after Earth Treks opened their gym in Golden, one of the route setters based a bunch of route names on references to Rum Doodle. So no, you're not the only person whose read the book.
mark
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Touching the Void comes into the discussion far later than I guessed it would. Maybe y'all saw the movie and moved on. It is an entertaining read. And by the by, If you only watched "127 Hours" then go back and read that one. Not a "great" climbing book, but a good book worth reading; the movie just could not capture the essence of the suffering.

And to the OP. Please. "What is your favorite mountaineering book". Or, "What are your favorite mountaineering books" Or if you insist, "What's your favorite mountaineering book".

But please, fix the caption
Last edited by Wentzl on Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Wentzl wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 pm Touching the Void comes into the discussion far later than I guessed it would. Maybe you all saw the movie and moved on. It is an entertaining read. And by the by, If you only watched "127 Hours" then go back and read that one. Not a "great" climbing book, but a good book worth reading that the movie just could not capture.

And to the OP. Please. "What is your favorite mountaineering book". Or, "What are your favorite mountaineering books" Or if you insist, "What's your favorite mountaineering book".

Ahem!... I think we need another English major to chime in here. Calling a friend... :mrgreen: “Whats y’all’s favrit mountain earring book?” ...for Gutnis sake...
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

greenonion wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:26 pm
Wentzl wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 pm

Ahem!... I think we need another English major to chime in here. Calling a friend... :mrgreen: “Whats y’all’s favrit mountain earring book?” ...for Gutnis sake...
just toss in a modifying clause..... that'll fix it. lol
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

shelly+ wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:08 pm
greenonion wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:26 pm
Wentzl wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 pm

just toss in a modifying clause..... that'll fix it. lol
...that which doesn't doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger!
RobbS
14ers: 36 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobbS »

markf wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:06 am
docjohn wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:56 am Scrambles Amongst the Alps, Edward Whymper
Travels Amongst the Great Andes of the Equator, Edward Whymper
Everest: the West Ridge, Hornbein
The Hall of the Mountain King, Snyder,
and of course:
The Ascent of Rum Doodle, W. E. Bowman,
Hands down - The Ascent of Rum Doodle! All other books pale in comparison. I've never known anyone else who has read it.
The Ascent of Rum Doodle is excellent! I wish I knew where my copy was. Not long after Earth Treks opened their gym in Golden, one of the route setters based a bunch of route names on references to Rum Doodle. So no, you're not the only person whose read the book.
I know where my copy is! This was a really nice surprise gift from my wife. It's the original U.S. edition too! A fast and fun book, I think it's about time to re-read this one.

Image Image
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

RobbS wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:48 am
markf wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:06 am

I know where my copy is! This was a really nice surprise gift from my wife. It's the original U.S. edition too! A fast and fun book, I think it's about time to re-read this one.

Image Image
Very cool. I gotta get this one.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Anyone mention, No Picnic on Mount Kenya? Quite a good read.
9780857053770-us.jpg
9780857053770-us.jpg (76.46 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

"The Last Step" by Rick Ridgeway. About an American expedition to K2. Good look at group dynamics, when you put a bunch of driven type A personalities together, leads to some conflict.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Step-Legend ... ref=sr_1_1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markf »

justiner wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:57 am Anyone mention, No Picnic on Mount Kenya? Quite a good read.
Thanks for reminding me, I just made sure that my copy is sitting on my shelf. An excellent story.
mark
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I just finished Left for Dead (Beck Weathers) again. I don't know why. I read it several years ago and hated it. I thought I'd read again and see if older age would change my perspective. It did. I hated the book even more.

Am I alone on this? Does anyone else dislike the book as much as I do?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Old Hickory
14ers: 18 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Old Hickory »

Scott P wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:55 pm I just finished Left for Dead (Beck Weathers) again. I don't know why. I read it several years ago and hated it. I thought I'd read again and see if older age would change my perspective. It did. I hated the book even more.

Am I alone on this? Does anyone else dislike the book as much as I do?
I bought it in a used book shop several years ago but haven't read it. What about it did you find so distasteful?