Dyatlov Pass incident

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Dyatlov Pass incident

Post by Voshkm »

I know some of you find this interesting
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ha ... tp#image=2
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Dyatlov Pass incident

Post by Scott P »

Voshkm wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:08 pm I know some of you find this interesting
Interesting and maybe. The article does seem to skip mentioning the evidence that it wasn't an avalanche though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiFree »

So it was an avalanche caused by a radioactive yeti?
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

The MSN article is rather sensationalized and incorrectly portrays the film's coders as the origin of their models. This is not the case if you read the papers.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43247-020-00081-8/
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com ... 14GL062780

Most people familiar with slope stability modeling know one can bias the models to conclude nearly whatever one wishes to conclude based on a healthy set of assumptions, and it is rare to find consensus between the people conducting and/or assessing the models. I don't mean that as a bad thing. They are transparent with their assumptions. This is a fairly admirable exercise when applied to this decades-old incident.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Scott P wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:55 pm
Interesting and maybe. The article does seem to skip mentioning the evidence that it wasn't an avalanche though.
Which evidence?
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Jorts wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:28 pm
Which evidence?
Look a little closer at the picture and tell me that's an avalanche...
Attachments
spooky.jpg
spooky.jpg (52.93 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Jorts wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:28 pm
Scott P wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:55 pm
Which evidence?
There is both evidence for and against often quoted in the avalanche theory. The only evidence mentioned in the article is for the avalanche theory, but fails to mention all the evidence against it. In most books I have read at least, there seems to be more evidence against the avalanche theory than for it. The new article above does seem conclude that there might have been some incredibly localized conditions though.

There are many books on the topic, but wiki has a pretty good summary since I don't have time to go through all the books and write the paragraphs.

Evidence contradicting the avalanche theory includes:

1. The location of the incident did not have any obvious signs of an avalanche having taken place. An avalanche would have left certain patterns and debris distributed over a wide area. The bodies found within a month of the event were covered with a very shallow layer of snow and, had there been an avalanche of sufficient strength to sweep away the second party, these bodies would have been swept away as well; this would have caused more serious and different injuries in the process and would have damaged the tree line.

2. Over 100 expeditions to the region had been held since the incident, and none of them ever reported conditions that might create an avalanche. A study of the area using up-to-date terrain-related physics revealed that the location was entirely unlikely for such an avalanche to have occurred. The "dangerous conditions" found in another nearby area (which had significantly steeper slopes and cornices) were observed in April and May when the snowfalls of winter were melting. During February, when the incident occurred, there were no such conditions.

3. An analysis of the terrain and the slope showed that even if there could have been a very specific avalanche that found its way into the area, its path would have gone past the tent. The tent had collapsed from the side but not in a horizontal direction.

4. Dyatlov was an experienced skier and the much older Zolotaryov was studying for his Masters Certificate in ski instruction and mountain hiking. Neither of these two men would have been likely to camp anywhere in the path of a potential avalanche.

5. Footprint patterns leading away from the tent were inconsistent with someone, let alone a group of nine people, running in panic from either real or imagined danger. All the footprints leading away from the tent and towards the woods were consistent with individuals who were walking at a normal pace.

2, 3, and 5 at least seem to go against the article's conclusion, but as someone else pointed out, different conclusions can be made with different evidences (or models) and assumtion always comes into play in all theories. It does seem however that there is more evidence against the avalanche theory than for it, especially 2, 3, and 5. Even if someone got #5 wrong, 2 and 3 does seem like very strong evidence against the avalanche theory.

It must be mentioned that all other theories concerning the incident are all full of holes as well.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

There's a good book on it that I read a couple years ago. Pretty wild situation
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Reg0928 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:22 am There's a good book on it that I read a couple years ago. Pretty wild situation
"Dead Mountain" I believe. I haven't read it myself but my S.O. has and she made it seem like the writer did some pretty intense extrapolation and it delved into pseudoscience a bit too much. The mystery is still very intriguing though.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
13erRetriever
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 164 1 6
Trip Reports (15)

Post by 13erRetriever »

Not entirely off topic but the horror movie Devil's Pass regarding this incident was pretty good despite being low budget...if you can get past the cheesy special effects.
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:44 am
Reg0928 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:22 am There's a good book on it that I read a couple years ago. Pretty wild situation
"Dead Mountain" I believe. I haven't read it myself but my S.O. has and she made it seem like the writer did some pretty intense extrapolation and it delved into pseudoscience a bit too much. The mystery is still very intriguing though.
The book definitely dives into the weird sound frequency theory or whatever it's called. The "why" the event happened (according to the writer) is farfetched, but the presentation of the actual unfolding of the event was pretty cool