Colorado bound

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
EyeMissColorado
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Colorado bound

Post by EyeMissColorado »

OK, as we inch closer to our trip, things have changed some. We will be traveling with friends who've never been to CO. We rented an AirBnB near Redvale and will be venturing out on day trips from there for several days in the middle.

I have a commitment in Palisade on 6/11. That's my only commitment. We'll probably visit some friends we know from our time living in the state at the back end of the trip near Golden. So as it stands now, I'm looking for must-see stuff within a few/couple hours of Redvale.

Thinking at least one day we'd hit Ouray and Silverton area, then drive up to Molas Pass for the views. Any spot on that route worth stopping for? I did that circle in 2005 with my folks shortly after moving to CO but don't remember much and I've only been to CO in January(?) for the Ice Fest. My friends want to tour a mine. I remember doing a mine tour from Silverton back then but don't recall the exact place.

We'll have three full days to find stuff to do while staying in Redvale. Then we plan on swinging by the Sand Dunes on our trek back towards Golden.

Thanks again for all the help!!
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Redvale seems kind of an... odd choice of location for a Colorado mountain holiday.
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:06 am Columbine Lake is scenic, less crowded and probably doable for your kids. Couple 13ers nearby too.
columbine lake is basically ice lakes at this point, lots and lots of people
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

tmud wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:42 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:06 am Columbine Lake is scenic, less crowded and probably doable for your kids. Couple 13ers nearby too.
columbine lake is basically ice lakes at this point, lots and lots of people
I must have been lucky! I was there on a Sunday in July and had the peaks to myself and only saw a couple groups camping on the lake.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Looking south from Redvale you will be looking at Lone Cone every day. I haven't hiked it yet, but maybe a nice day for you guys:

https://norwoodcolorado.com/hiking-norw ... cone-peak/
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
EyeMissColorado
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EyeMissColorado »

Three days out now! Is there any reason to visit Telluride for the day? Also, is there a decent trailhead near Telluride to see Mt. Emma? My daughter's name is Emma, she's 8, and would get a kick out of seeing it. Not that we're going to be able to hike up to any significant altitude with her most likely, but is there a sign with the name and a spot down low to see it?

*Replying to SkaredShitles....yeah, Redvale was all we could find to house 8 of us at a reasonable cost and be centrally located between the San Juans and Moab area.

Saturday we plan to make our way from GJ towards Redvale, passing through Uncompaghre canyon, Gateway and swinging through Paradox Valley along the Dolores River.

Sunday I'm thinking of taking them to Ouray, Camp Bird Rd, Silverton over Molas Pass to Durango. Swing back up 145 to maybe(?) catch sight of the Wilson Group.

Monday.....? (open to suggestions)

Tuesday they split from us and head to Utah. We make our way back towards the F'range to visit old friends in Golden. Maybe stop by the Dunes or.....? I never spent much time that far south when I lived out there.

Wednesday, show the kids where we used to live (Gilpin County), maybe check out Brainard Lake again?

Thursday fly back east.
marksilas
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 426 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marksilas »

If you are going up to Camp Bird, you should probably be able to get a look at Mount Emma.