Poll: Is this forum welcoming to new members?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Is this forum welcoming to new members?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:44 am

Yes
58%
No
20%
Depends (explain below)
21%
Other (explain below)
1%

Total votes: 95
askwjs
13ers: 65 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Poll: Is this forum welcoming to new members?

Post by askwjs »

I have only been part of the community a few years and must say that it has gotten better. When I was new I would catch some flak for asking certain questions. I have a thick skin and just let it roll off my back but could see where that would have been a turn-off for some. But as I said, it has improved some from what I have seen even over the past 4 years.
LifeIsGood
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LifeIsGood »

CaptCO wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:08 pm...unintentionally seek attention...
Alec, your behavior on this forum has been seeking attention, most certainly intentionally. But I’m not going to psychoanalyze as to why.

And this forum is def more than just ‘old’ people, as you have repeatedly stated. In fact, I’ve noticed that many of your most fervent critics are in your age group.

You were welcomed at the beginning.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I think the forum is great, and as someone else stated the website is pure gold.

Being somewhat easily amused at times, I have found a lot of the captains comments and the responses said comments inspired to be quite hilarious and entertaining.
Maybe I need more of a life.
Regardless, I love the site.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

it wouldn't hurt to ban the trolls, overall i think most people are well intentioned
LifeIsGood
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LifeIsGood »

Oftentimes it isn’t what is said but the way it’s said.

Such as, telling someone too bluntly that their trip report is not a trip report, but rather a conditions report.

Or, mocking someone who uses the term ‘winter’ just because there is snow on the ground, but is actually well outside of our two most common definitions of winter.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

LifeIsGood wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:06 am Oftentimes it isn’t what is said but the way it’s said.

Such as, telling someone too bluntly that their trip report is not a trip report, but rather a conditions report.

Or, mocking someone who uses the term ‘winter’ just because there is snow on the ground, but is actually well outside of our two most common definitions of winter.
Or the poor soul would who innocently asks about using a guide or rope on a 14er.... the responses of which I always find amusing - since most people who climb with a "more experienced" partner or only want to climb with someone who has done the route before, are effectively using a Guide, just without a written contract.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Given the increased interest over the years, I'd assume there's a lucrative 14ers guiding business?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

ker0uac wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:44 pm Given the increased interest over the years, I'd assume there's a lucrative 14ers guiding business?
there is. There's actually people you can pay to take you up bierstadt or grays in the summer.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Trotter wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:47 pm
ker0uac wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:44 pm Given the increased interest over the years, I'd assume there's a lucrative 14ers guiding business?
there is. There's actually people you can pay to take you up bierstadt or grays in the summer.
A quick google search found prices in the low to mid 200's for walk ups (Elbert, Handies) to almost $900 for technical climbs like Ellingwood Arete, or $1200 for a 3-day in Chicago Basin (train tix included!). Some rates vary depending on group size too. That was just a small sample of companies I had heard of, I'm sure there are more.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

I chose "Other" because I have not posted enough to gauge acceptance of myself as a newer member. I also have yet to post any conditions or trip reports because all of my 14ers and 13ers have been walk-ups. I started to do a conditions report and trip report last Autumn when I hiked five 14ers in moderate snow, but after reviewing past reports I decided that my report probably would be of little value since most people on here are not new to snow, especially the milder snows of September. I did answer a couple of posts from newbies regarding the conditions that week.

On another note about creating a welcoming forum, I am an avid bass fisherman and have participated in a bass fishing forum with approximately 70,000 members since 2005. On that forum, there is a specified thread created for new members to introduce themselves. Sometimes a thread like that can help to break the ice as forum members respond in a positive way to new member introductions. That forum also has moderators chosen from among the membership by the administrator and the additional assistance helps to keep the trolling and vicious posts to a minimum. Those moderators are unpaid and provide their services to benefit the forum. This forum also has a strict rule prohibiting political or religious posts which helps to cool the boil also. Still, in a forum of that many members there is the occasional dust up. There is a percentage of bad apples in every group. If one thinks about it, in a town of 70,000 there will be a murderer or a rapist or two. What does that tell you about our forums? :shock:
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:04 pm
Trotter wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:47 pm
A quick google search found prices in the low to mid 200's for walk ups (Elbert, Handies) to almost $900 for technical climbs like Ellingwood Arete, or $1200 for a 3-day in Chicago Basin (train tix included!). Some rates vary depending on group size too. That was just a small sample of companies I had heard of, I'm sure there are more.
Humm interesting, I never met anyone working as a guide in CO and never saw anyone inconspicuously offering guide services here either.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:04 am Humm interesting, I never met anyone working as a guide in CO and never saw anyone inconspicuously offering guide services here either.
Offering guide services here would be against the forum rules (and would thus likely backfire).
I have seen one guided party on North Maroon and two on Pyramid.