Poll: Is this forum welcoming to new members?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Is this forum welcoming to new members?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:44 am

Yes
58%
No
20%
Depends (explain below)
21%
Other (explain below)
1%

Total votes: 95
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: Poll: Is this forum welcoming to new members?

Post by Mtnman200 »

LeeWimberly wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:23 pm Okay. I am a newcomer. Since the poll seems indicate that I will not get too rough a treatment as long I don't do anything too stupid!

I'll do my best.

I want to climb a 14er in a safe, intelligent way. I have scoped the Class 1 and Class 2 peaks in the front range: Grays, Torres, Bierstadt, Pikes Peak.

I will be conditioning with lower hikes as the snow melts. I hope to do my ascent in July or August. My fantasy (and it might be just that) is July 27 which is my 70th birthday.

I would like to maximize my safety by hiking with one ore more hikers.

Now's the time for you to tell me I'm crazy. My wife and a couple of friends have already let me know.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to give provide a little security for this ol' guy!

Lee Wimberly
Tell your wife and friends I said you’re not crazy. Plenty of us seasoned climbers are still climbing. Good luck!
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

No, you're not crazy at all. I have friends in their 80's who are still hiking and climbing.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

LeeWimberly wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:23 pm Okay. I am a newcomer. Since the poll seems indicate that I will not get too rough a treatment as long I don't do anything too stupid!

I'll do my best.

I want to climb a 14er in a safe, intelligent way. I have scoped the Class 1 and Class 2 peaks in the front range: Grays, Torres, Bierstadt, Pikes Peak.

I will be conditioning with lower hikes as the snow melts. I hope to do my ascent in July or August. My fantasy (and it might be just that) is July 27 which is my 70th birthday.

I would like to maximize my safety by hiking with one ore more hikers.

Now's the time for you to tell me I'm crazy. My wife and a couple of friends have already let me know.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to give provide a little security for this ol' guy!

Lee Wimberly
Great to hear! Welcome Lee.

One piece of advice, start early - pre sunrise on whatever peak you choose to reduce (not eliminate) the chance of being up high in Thunderstorms while on the mountain.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

LeeWimberly wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:23 pm I want to climb a 14er in a safe, intelligent way. I have scoped the Class 1 and Class 2 peaks in the front range: Grays, Torres, Bierstadt, Pikes Peak.

That's awesome - as long as you're in halfway decent shape for your age and do a couple conditioning hikes to make sure your body handles the altitude ok you should be just fine if you take it at your own pace (Rocky Mountain National Park is a great place for conditioning hikes if you're not too far away...)

Of the peaks you mentioned I'd recommend Bierstadt as the best starter. Pikes is rather long even from the backside. Grays and Torreys would also be a little long if you weren't able to get up the 4WD road which is often in poor condition.

But once Guanella Pass opens (should easily be open before July 27) it's as easy to get to as they get and there's abundant parking. Very easy and easy to follow trail with plenty of people around to help if anything should happen to go wrong.

I'm not typically open on weekdays but that would be a fun goal to help someone achieve so if you can't find anyone else before then let me know and maybe I could take the day off to come help.

You might indeed be crazy but life's more fun when you're a little crazy! :lol: