Poll: Is this forum welcoming to new members?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Is this forum welcoming to new members?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:44 am

Yes
58%
No
20%
Depends (explain below)
21%
Other (explain below)
1%

Total votes: 95
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Poll: Is this forum welcoming to new members?

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

mtnkub wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:18 am
ker0uac wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:04 am Humm interesting, I never met anyone working as a guide in CO and never saw anyone inconspicuously offering guide services here either.
Offering guide services here would be against the forum rules (and would thus likely backfire).
I have seen one guided party on North Maroon and two on Pyramid.
I saw a guide taking a party up Pyramid on rope.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

The ones I know of are more bigger commercial companies and have a variety of offerings including various guided options or classes like AAIRE avy trainings. I haven't used any of them, my AAIRE 1 was through the community college, but they advertise a lot locally. Seems the jeep and snowmobile tours are the most popular with tourists, not sure how many guided hikes they really do?
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Unofficial guiding actually does happen often on this forum. I know a few respected members who accompany people up 14ers for money, if not roping up with them. So long as they don't misrepresent themselves or their capabilities (medical, ropework, etc.), it's not a big deal.

I rarely see commercial guides on 14ers though - sometimes Elks, SJs, and Longs.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

I've encountered guides a few times on 14ers - typically it's a case where someone is uncomfortable on exposed terrain and wants an experienced person to help them rope up for safety.

Don't think I've ever knowingly spotted a guide on a peak like Bierstadt but you wouldn't necessarily know it by looking since the guides I've encountered just appeared to be some other person hiking with a buddy. Only found out one was a guide by striking up a conversation.

I think this kind of thing is where the forum sometimes goes astray - many folks on here are so experienced and comfortable on anything that the 14ers have to offer that there's a tendency at times to basically mock anyone who would feel the need for a guide (not saying that's happened here, just see that attitude pop up now and then). That kind of thing makes the forum less welcoming at times.

Everyone has different backgrounds, experience, comfort levels, etc. I think it's great that someone intimated enough by the mountains some of us see as trivial would take the initiative to hook up with a guide to tackle what they're not comfortable doing alone.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 am The ones I know of are more bigger commercial companies and have a variety of offerings including various guided options or classes like AAIRE avy trainings. I haven't used any of them, my AAIRE 1 was through the community college, but they advertise a lot locally. Seems the jeep and snowmobile tours are the most popular with tourists, not sure how many guided hikes they really do?
I know of a lot of outfitters in WA, like the AAI and RMI, but not in CO, which is surprising to me as the mountaineering culture in CO is much greater than the one in WA. Even in NE, I know of EMS running lots of trips in the White Mountains such as winter ascents of Mt Washington. It seems like a missed business opportunity. Or maybe I am just clueless.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

daway8 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:53 am There's a tendency at times to basically mock anyone who would feel the need for a guide (not saying that's happened here, just see that attitude pop up now and then).
There sure is, but it's hypocritical, coz I know a lot of people here had more experienced friends take them up the class 3+ peaks to finish the list. If there was a rule that to claim credit you had to climb solo, most finishers would lose their plaque. I have never hired a guide in the US, but I had a guide on all of my international climbs.

Also, this tendency hurts the business of guiding, so if you have a guide friend, maybe you should encourage others to hire a guide?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Considering I just joined, I really hope it is welcoming to new members.
Be the best you that you can be.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Salient wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:07 am Considering I just joined, I really hope it is welcoming to new members.
Welcome to the forum Salient!
Proceed to the thread looking for summer partners to get a taste of things! Hahaha
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

d_baker wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:09 am
Salient wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:07 am Considering I just joined, I really hope it is welcoming to new members.
Welcome to the forum Salient!
Proceed to the thread looking for summer partners to get a taste of things! Hahaha
I've been lurking on the website for about a week and have seen a lot of how people act in various threads. So, yeah I get what you mean there.
Be the best you that you can be.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

If you know phish message boards - you will get his comparison......

I wish 14ers was the phish.net of mountaineering but seems to be the phantasytour instead.

which means much higher levels of unrestrained sarcasm and subtle hostility. which once you know a life with those at a minimum - it is tough to accept anything else.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

jibler wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:36 pm If you know phish message boards - you will get his comparison......

I wish 14ers was the phish.net of mountaineering but seems to be the phantasytour instead.

which means much higher levels of unrestrained sarcasm and subtle hostility. which once you know a life with those at a minimum - it is tough to accept anything else.
Sometimes after I climb a 14er I'm as smelly as a phish tour. Does that count?
LeeWimberly
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LeeWimberly »

Okay. I am a newcomer. Since the poll seems indicate that I will not get too rough a treatment as long I don't do anything too stupid!

I'll do my best.

I want to climb a 14er in a safe, intelligent way. I have scoped the Class 1 and Class 2 peaks in the front range: Grays, Torres, Bierstadt, Pikes Peak.

I will be conditioning with lower hikes as the snow melts. I hope to do my ascent in July or August. My fantasy (and it might be just that) is July 27 which is my 70th birthday.

I would like to maximize my safety by hiking with one ore more hikers.

Now's the time for you to tell me I'm crazy. My wife and a couple of friends have already let me know.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to give provide a little security for this ol' guy!

Lee Wimberly