From a mountaineering/access to peaks perspective, what is the best place to live in Colorado?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

From a mountaineering/access to peaks perspective, what is the best place to live in Colorado?

Post by Jbrow327 »

I noticed that homes in western Colorado or anywhere near a ski area are extremely expensive. Does everyone literally come out from the front range whenever they want to get to the western portions of Colorado? How can someone afford to live in these towns? What career field do you have to be in?
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Re: From a mountaineering/access to peaks perspective, what is the best place to live in Colorado?

Post by Monte Meals »

^ "What career field do you have to be in?"

philanthropists
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: From a mountaineering/access to peaks perspective, what is the best place to live in Colorado?

Post by nyker »

Prices out in CO as in many other once quieter western areas have been rising steadily for years, the covid-induced flight from cities only exacerbated and accelerated those price movements.
Good question though, a quick glance at recent listings, or more accurately sales and time on market for listings from mid-late 2020 tells the story of increasing unaffordability for many/most.
Me speculating, but I'd assume for many those now high 6 figure and 7 figure "cabins" are second (or third?) homes. Maybe when the city slickers become bored of mountains, they'll sell and prices will come down, but don't hold your breath.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

I'm moving into a van.

Seriously, hate to be a millennial cliche but I got a remote job for the sole purpose of being able to live closer to the mountains. I am not "high income" so I accepted a while ago that if I want to live close to the mountains I want to climb, I'd have to bring my home with me.
Now I won't have to decide between Salida, Ridgway, Lake City, Durango, Leadville, Minturn...Pinedale, St George, Bishop... Zero of these places have an abundance of studio apartments for a person on a $1K/month rent budget. I am fortunate in that this hobby is all I care about and therefore don't need to worry about accomodating a partner or pets or a specific career.

The way I've been doing it for the last 6 years though...invest in a good car, a lot of coffee and some good audiobooks and buckle up for a lot of driving.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jbrow327 »

CoHi591 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:59 pm I'm moving into a van.

Seriously, hate to be a millennial cliche but I got a remote job for the sole purpose of being able to live closer to the mountains. I am not "high income" so I accepted a while ago that if I want to live close to the mountains I want to climb, I'd have to bring my home with me.
Now I won't have to decide between Salida, Ridgway, Lake City, Durango, Leadville, Minturn...Pinedale, St George, Bishop... Zero of these places have an abundance of studio apartments for a person on a $1K/month rent budget. I am fortunate in that this hobby is all I care about and therefore don't need to worry about accomodating a partner or pets or a specific career.

The way I've been doing it for the last 6 years though...invest in a good car, a lot of coffee and some good audiobooks and buckle up for a lot of driving.
Sounds interesting.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Jbrow327 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:56 pm Does everyone literally come out from the front range whenever they want to get to the western portions of Colorado?
Except for the ski resorts and a few other tourist towns, Western Colorado is generally cheaper (sometimes much cheaper) than the Front Range cities.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jbrow327 »

Scott P wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:55 pm
Jbrow327 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:56 pm Does everyone literally come out from the front range whenever they want to get to the western portions of Colorado?
Except for the ski resorts and a few other tourist towns, Western Colorado is generally cheaper (sometimes much cheaper) than the Front Range cities.
Don't the jobs pay a lot less though?
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Jbrow327 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:52 pm Don't the jobs pay a lot less though?
Maybe some, but not mine. Like many people on the West Slope, I work for Denver based company.
specmiata37
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 47 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by specmiata37 »

I looked into this for several years. If you don't need city living (front range crowding) I picked the middle of the state in Chaffee county.
Reasonable prices but getting more expensive. Good hospital in Salida, BV pretty cool scene. Plenty of good 13ers. Leadville. And not too far from San Juan or Sangre de Cristo ranges.
Good boondoggle camping in the Nat. forests.

Wound up with property in Nathrop, will build in a couple of years and leave the front range.
"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings."
John Muir

grenouille verte
Colorado Cajun
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jbrow327 »

Scott P wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:56 pm
Maybe some, but not mine. Like many people on the West Slope, I work for Denver based company.
What do you do? If you don't mind me asking.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Jbrow327 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:24 pm
Engineering/construction management
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jbrow327 »

Scott P wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:27 pm
Jbrow327 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:24 pm

Engineering/construction management
I didn't know you can do that remotely. What type of engineer are you?