Supplements for Musculoskeletal Health?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Supplements for Musculoskeletal Health?

Post by ker0uac »

susanjoypaul wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:17 am
2 - (Don't laugh) 10 minutes of squats a day on a DB Method machine (yes, the butt machine), which is an angled squat machine with a seat that shifts your weight back onto your glutes. This takes the weight off your knees and lets your hips and glutes do the work, and the high volume that's possible strengthens your hips. If I tried to do ten straight minutes of traditional squats, my knees would throw a fit, but using the machine takes away that limitation. You can add a weight belt for more resistance. I also do traditional squats with dumbbells as part of my weightlifting routine, but in lower volume - just three sets of 12 reps. I used to do super-heavy squats on a rack back in the day when I was a gym rat (over 400 pounds when I trained with Mr. Southern California, Paul Harris, back in the 1980s), but no time for that these days.
I wouldn't laugh, having a strong butt is important, but a lot of people work on it for the "wrong" reasons, and so it has become a joke
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

My Aconcagua don't want none unless you got buns hun
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

nunns wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:36 am +1. Strong glutes are associated with less knee pain. It has something to do with the IT band.
Thank you.
ker0uac wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:52 am I wouldn't laugh, having a strong butt is important, but a lot of people work on it for the "wrong" reasons, and so it has become a joke
Thank you!
justiner wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:56 am My Aconcagua don't want none unless you got buns hun
Hahahahaha. THANK YOU. Sir Mix-a-Lot knew what he was talking about. And I don't even think he was a hiker.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

You'll see more glute development with weighted hip bridge variations than squats (less quad activity).
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

well, that settles it. i'll be working out to this video every day now:

"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

justiner wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:56 am My Aconcagua don't want none unless you got buns hun
:lol:

That was funny
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

What ya wanna do is not so much build up your butt muscles to incredible proportions, but to just make sure you're actually utilizing them in the right proportion to your other muscles. They get, in a sense: lazy, and don't fire when they should and that causes muscle imbalances, tightness, pain - lots of stuff to fix. So if you get a 'script' for a PT to work on that, they're not going to have you do hyper weighted glute bridges, but may get you on a physio ball or do bodyweight glute bridges for you to learn how to use your butt. You just may need to work on your pelvic tilt.

They may be weaker than they should, but once they learn how to work correctly, just doing the activity - like hiking, should be enough to strengthen them. Kinda similar on how bad form when lifting heavy stuff can lead to pain and injury. It's easy to lift a light box with just using your back, and you get used to be able to to do it, until you try to lift something heavy and you just don't actually have the functional movement pattern to do it safely. And that's true even if you have the concept of what a deadlift is - knowing and doing is still two different things. It sounds crazy, but the same thing can be said for simply walking, especially if you're used to sitting 8 hours+/day.

Lots of tightness and pain can come from muscle imbalances, like between your lower back and your front core muscles, or your hamstrings to quads. I think of mobility work as just fixing these muscle imbalances, rather than thinking of it as stretching, which is trying to physiologically change how deep you can pull a muscle in extension. Like my shoulders slouch forward, but stretching ain't going to do much - it's just my back muscles are strong, and my chest is really weak (cause I climb, and don't do much um: dipping or benchpress or whatever). I'm lined up for a shoulder injury for sure. My lower back hurts more than I'd like to admit, but it's probably from my hip's being "tight" (or really: weak), since riding a bike and running aren't really working my legs on my planes of motion. The job of my hips is taken on by my back - which is bad at it, and it's cranky.

Or take my terrible ankle dorsiflexion. I've stretched it all it's going to go, but what may help me more is just working on my tibialus stretch, which is what actually pulls my foot towards my shin. It's not weak per say, but compared to my monster calves from cycling and hiking up things, it's just can't keep up. Strong tibialus muscles also help with keeping shin splints away, and feeling fresh after that long slog downhill so worth a look into working on. Easy and quick to do,

(sorry for the internet black hole of Kneesovertoesguy you'll fall into)
TomDawnton
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TomDawnton »

I have taken various supplements of glutathione, magnesium, potassium + vitamin D, vitamin C, omega, collagen, amino acids ... I don’t know what worked, the placebo effect or the "active ingredients" but I have no problems. Sometimes there are pains in the place of an old injury (I very badly jumped from a tree as a child and got a broken leg in 2 places), then I take Boswellia extract to relieve inflammation
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

The real problem with supplements is that the industry is largely unregulated. Meaning how and what version of that supplement they put in that pill/powder can be wildly variable. Maybe it's readily bioavailable, maybe its indigestible. Maybe it's high concentration maybe it's bound to a carrier salt molecule so you're not getting as much as you think.
They don't have to standardize much of anything or prove it does anything. In general yes their safe, it's not gonna make you sick (just don't eat a dozen a day), but just don't expect results or that one bottle equates to the next. The stuff used in a laboratory or experiment is often a much higher grade and tested because it's bioavailable and digestible, so even if you find a study saying that a certain supplement helps with this or that, you're probably not buying the same thing at a store.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
random-dude
Trip Reports (0)

Post by random-dude »

Placebo effect is real but generally supplements are a rip-off at best and can be actively harmful at worst.

Im an orthopedically decrepit 50 year old with a laughably long injury list and what tangibly works is hiking/running, strength training and eating real food where the ingredients are mainly themselves.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Yoga and ice baths have helped me more than anything else, but with that said i've also had excellent experiences with Magnesium and with Tissue Rejuvenator from Hammer Nutrition
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
TomDawnton
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TomDawnton »

to deny the benefits of collagen for the body as a whole is definitely stupid. There is a lot of evidence for the benefits of taking collagen by mouth. and it seems to me that the most weighty argument is that we ourselves are composed of collagen, water and hyaluronic acid.
I've had on and off leg issues from working out and sports for the last few decades. At 44, it was time to do something so a bit of googling brought me to collagen 1-2-3-5-10, which worked.