Supplements for Musculoskeletal Health?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
specmiata37
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 47 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Supplements for Musculoskeletal Health?

Post by specmiata37 »

Magnesium and Creatine. Squats and more heavy squats.
Good diet, no processed food.
"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings."
John Muir

grenouille verte
Colorado Cajun
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Just would like to share dosage info I found for magnesium supplements. Seems I’ve seen 400mg mentioned here but WebMD recommends no more than 350mg for adults. And too much can build up over time and be toxic to some. Mag is in lots of foods too. I found a 250mg bottle and will stick with that, per day.
WebMD (for what it’s worth: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingre ... /magnesium
James2015
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by James2015 »

Yes, another vote for glucosamine (I take the combined supplement with chondroitin and MSM (GCM)). I once was a stair-climbing machine, but wore a hotspot in my right hip. I don't think GCM does anything for my knees, but it sure helps with my hip. If I don't take it for a week my hip starts aching. The mechanism of action of GCM is pretty unclear, but it works for me...
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

a second to amyst's comment re: chondroitin. vets are the experts on msm/glucosamine/chondroitin (mds tend to scoff at all three because we didn't learn about them in med school) and i don't know a vet who recommends chondroitin. my dogs and i all take msm (basically oral dmso) and glucosamine after getting amazing results with our late shepherd/lab mix. msm/glucosamine cost roughly 1/3 the price of msm/glucosamine/chondroitin last time i checked. costco has the best bang for the buck. :)
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I'll add in, from personal experience reducing foods with added sugar in your diet could potentially reduce inflammation which in turn could ease joint pain.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

nyker wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:39 am I'll add in, from personal experience reducing foods with added sugar in your diet could potentially reduce inflammation which in turn could ease joint pain.
Wheat too, at least for me. Not gluten, wheat. The selected and bred within an inch of it's life to improve yield and shelf life wheat. So luckily I can still drink beer and blame my aches and pains on anything else. Magnesium, regardless of formulation, makes me feel like a zombie, even at low doses.

Seriously though, after a 4 month break from heavy squats, I am amazed at how much less I hurt and how much quicker I recover now that I've started lifting again. It's not just improved glute and quad strength, it's the rock solid core you develop in learning to properly brace your spine against heavy loads.
Make wilderness less accessible.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I've been taking magnesium supplements (in the form you find in something like Calm) fairly consistently, and it absolutely knocks me the f- out at night. It honestly has helped me get a grip on my caffeine addiction (the best supplement of course!) as well as my anxiety issues. Getting a good night sleep, as they say, is the best thing you can do for your well being.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

justiner wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:05 pm I've been taking magnesium supplements (in the form you find in something like Calm) fairly consistently, and it absolutely knocks me the f- out at night. It honestly has helped me get a grip on my caffeine addiction (the best supplement of course!) as well as my anxiety issues. Getting a good night sleep, as they say, is the best thing you can do for your well being.
Caffeine and Alcohol both cause anxiety, not saying you aren't aware of that but I find a lot of people aren't.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
vertical_volume
14ers: 55  1  1 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vertical_volume »

justiner wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:16 am I supplement with ankle, hip, and back mobility work. Motion is Lotion!
I also do this. And I make sure to eat real food, because real food is great for you, naturally.

Mobility work has made a huge difference for me! Fixed many problems that regular stretching or resting wouldn’t have.
Runnin around - Rob_e179
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

HIIT is a good supplement. Don't overdo it like many do. Recovery matters for growth.

https://www.mdpi.com/2411-5142/6/3/62/pdf
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring