Most climbed mountains

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Most climbed mountains

Post by ltlFish99 »

Scott P wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:30 am I would imagine that the most popular peak in the entire world is Victoria Peak in Hong Kong. It gets 7-9 million visits per year. It must be said though that most people don't hike or climb up. There are trails to the summit though and they are popular (we hiked there as well). I don't know what percentage of people walk up.

In the US, Mount Monadnock might be the most climbed mountain (drive up summits really wouldn't qualify unless enough people hiked them).

In the Western US, it might be Camelback Mountain near Phoenix. Green Mountain near Denver might be up there too. Twin Peaks in San Francisco has far more visitors than either, but it's only 922 feet high so it wouldn't qualify as a mountain by most standards. Same with the other peaks around San Francisco. Diamond Head near Honolulu would be the same. Maybe some of the summits around Los Angeles, San Francisco, or San Diego might give Camelback a run for its money though?

Maybe Bierstand or Quandary could be the most popular 14ers in the world?

For a 15er, it might be Mont Blanc (about as popular as the most popular 14ers), but since a lot of people live close to that high or even that high in places like Nepal and South America, they might have peaks that are more popular.

What would be the most popular 16er? Maybe Lenana Point? I'm not sure.

For a 17er it is almost surely Chacaltaya in Bolivia. It probably used to be even more popular as it was a ski resort.

For an 18er it might be Kala Pattar? Just a guess, but it does see more people than any 18er I can think of.

For a 19er it is surely Kilimanjaro which has far more annual ascents/attempts than any of the Colorado 14ers.

Of course most of the rest of the world uses the metric system so they might be more interested in 5000, 6000, 7000, and 8000ers.
For a 9000er, the Schilthorn is very popular. There were 100's of people on top when we were there.
Of course, one can get there via the tram, but we saw a steady stream of hikers all day on our way up.
For a 16er, Tungurahua might be up there. When we were on it, there was at least 50 people at or near the summit. The hut was literally overflowing as some people were sleeping outside.

The 1st time I hiked longs, I had to park a very long way down the road. The ranger estimated over 400 people had passed through the start by 8am when I was starting.
I counted almost 200 people just in the trough section. A lot of them were turning back as it was starting to sleet.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Salient wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:06 pm
cougar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:56 pm Those summit registers must be impressive, they would also give a good count.

I've also heard the claims of Mt Hood, Monadnock, and Fuji being most climbed. Think Mt Davidson in SF or other urban mountains or drive ups would be up there, Clingmans Dome?
Yeah, Clingmans Dome is definitely up there (I’ve been on a relatively busy weekend) but there are far more busy mountains.
Calling Clingman's Dome a mountain is a stretch.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Re Clingman's Dome, it's true that 99.999% walk from the parking lot to the observation tower, and that's no mountain. But on my first backpacking trip ever (1979) we went straight down Forney Creek to Fontana Lake and back up Forney Ridge - that is a mountain! Especially when young, dumb and carrying a ton.
Roll No Rocks
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

nunns wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:17 am
Salient wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:06 pm
cougar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:56 pm Those summit registers must be impressive, they would also give a good count.

I've also heard the claims of Mt Hood, Monadnock, and Fuji being most climbed. Think Mt Davidson in SF or other urban mountains or drive ups would be up there, Clingmans Dome?
Yeah, Clingmans Dome is definitely up there (I’ve been on a relatively busy weekend) but there are far more busy mountains.
Calling Clingman's Dome a mountain is a stretch.

Sean Nunn
Over 2000m high with over 1300m prominence is definitely worthy of a mountain in my opinion. But, it’s not really a hike unless you do it from Newfound Gap (which I did not do cause my dad would absolutely not hike that and most people don’t do that) so I can kind of see an argument there.
Be the best you that you can be.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Alpine Guy wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:18 pm Re Clingman's Dome, it's true that 99.999% walk from the parking lot to the observation tower, and that's no mountain.
If your standard to disqualify a mountain is simply the ability to drive near to the top then I suppose Pikes & Evans aren’t mountains either :P
Be the best you that you can be.
+Gravy
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by +Gravy »

Last edited by +Gravy on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

greenonion wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:31 am Your list of most climbed mountains could also double for the list of mountains to most avoid :mrgreen:
Mostly true for me, but I'd still like to do Kilimanjaro and Adams Peak one day.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Scott P wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:39 am
greenonion wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:31 am Your list of most climbed mountains could also double for the list of mountains to most avoid :mrgreen:
Mostly true for me, but I'd still like to do Kilimanjaro and Adams Peak one day.
You haven’t already? I thought you’d climbed everything.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

jmanner wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:24 amYou haven’t already? I thought you’d climbed everything.
Watch out, this snide remark may result in a 300 word response written....

One.

Sentence.

At.

A.

Time.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?