Your Final 14er

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Your Final 14er

Post by jmanner »

The first 14er thread got me thinking.

What’s your finisher photo and what mountain was it on, how long did it take you? How did you feel?

Mt Wilson was my finisher after the traverse from the Tooth. Took me 10 years and ~2 weeks. I felt somewhat empty. It was an exciting climb and I was happy to finish, but by the time I’d finished hiking the 14ers I’d moved onto skiing more and it had lost its excitement. Edit: Finished Sept 2018
Attachments
B1357B6B-DFC2-44CC-8CD6-604D26FA8B13.jpeg
B1357B6B-DFC2-44CC-8CD6-604D26FA8B13.jpeg (255.2 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Your Final 14er

Post by Matt Lemke »

Would be Kit Carson this past summer. Such a memorable climb with an awesome friend and despite the smoke had pretty good views. Had to wait out a thunderstorm just below the summit too. I had been putting this peak off for many years until the chance to climb the prow came along, and finally it did. One I'll surely never forget!
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Antero. Best for last, baby!
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Snowmass ............... but haven't done it yet, it's next. Have been saving it. Hopefully it'll live up to my hype.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

It is still in the future for me as I have 18 left. This years plan is to hike 12.
That would leave me with blanca, ellingwood, both crestones, pyramid, and north maroon.
I am not sure which one will be my finisher, as it is still a work in progress.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Wilson Peak.
It wound up that way largely because of the distance from Denver. I had originally wanted it to be the bells, but I had the opportunity to do them with my trusted partner the year before and couldn't pass it up.
I lived in Telluride for a winter several years ago, when I had only done a handful and finishing them all felt like a far off dream. I worked for the resort and stared at Wilson Peak every single day thinking how incredible it would be the climb it. My buddy and I went down to do the trio and wound up with pretty trash weather all weekend. We did the traverse one day and nearly got stormed off. Next I went back for Wilson and we're pretty close to getting stormed off again but it was our last chance probably for the year and it was my finisher. I assessed that I could get there and back before the storm came in, my buddy waited for me lower down and I don't think I've ever busted my ass so hard in my life as I did to get up to that peak and back down before the weather came in. It was meaningful and I think added to it a little bit that I summited the final one alone, because of reasons. And it's such a photogenic peak! I'm really happy that was my last one.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Wish I lived in CO wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:52 pm Snowmass ............... but haven't done it yet, it's next. Have been saving it. Hopefully it'll live up to my hype.
S ridge for sure! It was a blast, and One of the best places to be in wildflower season. The west slopes route down did suck but I didn't think it sucked as much as everyone prepared me for. The first two hundred feet off the summit for uncomfortable, beyond that it was just tedious.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

jmanner wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:57 pm The first 14er thread got me thinking.

What’s your finisher photo and what mountain was it on, how long did it take you? How did you feel?
Mine was on an unnamed peak that I didn't expect to climb, in late 2014. I was halfway through a 12-hour day of snow and talus, and it was a bit anticlimactic.
Done!
Done!
ods07.jpg (211.52 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

My last was Snowmass. I was planning my finisher was either going to be Capitol, Little Bear or Snowmass each of which has a better season to climb vs others and as circumstances dictated it would be Snowmass.
Whereas many of my peaks I did alone, I was fortunate to have a great team with me to climb Snowmass and to celebrate with.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Last was Evans via the Sawtooth. Took 9 years and about 2 months. I wanted something where people that didn't hike could come up and celebrate too. It was the Monday of Labor Day weekend and the last day the road was open to the summit for the year. Unfortunately that meant we had to do it on a day where the wind was gusting over 50mph. It was ...interesting. Memorable way to finish for sure.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9193

(some of the pictures are broken but it's been 11 years since I posted that)
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

My last of the 58 list was Pikes Peak 1/11/20. It was a long cold day, but a great way to finish it up. I had two friends crazy enough to do it with me, 40 mph winds.

As of now I have 19 left to complete my second lap of the 58. Might be able to get most of them done this year.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I went with Pikes so that my family could come up and join, this was August 2008. First one was on Grays on a trip from Chicago in June 2003, so a little over 5 years total. I moved here in May 2004. It was a great milestone on a greater journey, as I was already committed to the Highest 100 and seriously considering all of the 13ers. I was glad to have the family along, I hiked from Crags and they drove.

My parents, sister and her then 10 year old son all were up there. In 1976 before my sister was even born, my parents and I were up there on the cog, I was 16 months old. Here is the 1976 and 2008 summit photos:
Pikes
Pikes
Pikes-Then-And-Now.jpg (84.86 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day