Overweight climbers.

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Overweight climbers.

Post by aholle88 »

Harrison1991 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:28 pm It’s super important that you don’t rely on sugar (glucose) for energy. You want your body to run on ketones (fat).
I really didn’t want to argue with anyone on this subject here, but this is just simply not true. You want your body to be very efficient at burning both fat and carbs. With proper endurance exercise and diet manipulation, this is possible. Do some long days on low glycogen to help with fat metabolism. Do some hard intervals/muscle endurance workouts fueled with carbs. Balance is key. But if you neglect the burning carbs, your body actually will not produce the proper enzymes for outputs where carbs are required, and if you are that fat adapted, having carbs can actually cause increased muscle acidosis compared to someone with a balanced diet/metabolism. There’s a very interesting podcast about this on Science of Ultra, i believe it was the “fat adaption” with Louise bourke.

I will agree that fasting does pose some benefits depending on training level and the like. When I’m working full time and not training >3hrs/day, I’ve always liked the fasting. Or at least carb backloading. There is some research out there that shows that people on equal calories, but heavily loaded carbs in the evening vs having carbs in the morning showed less overall weight loss but more overall fat % loss. So we really need to define our goals with regard to weight loss and such. Do we want body composition change, or do we just want to lose weight? A more positive body composition change goal could benefit more from an intermittent fasting, carb backloading type diet. Someone who just wants to lose weight, then it’s just a simple matter of calories in/calories out. There’s no secret diet for pure weight loss, it’s really is just kcal in/kcal out. Doesn’t matter if it’s Reese cups, keto, vegan, Mediterranean, fasting, whatever. Consume less than you burn and you lose weight. End of story.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Bean wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:56 am
LetsGoMets wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:27 am Do you also still think you need to drink dairy milk to be big and strong?
Non-sequiteur suggestive of cognitive impairment caused by long-term vegan diet.

Recommendation: steak and eggs with a side of wild salmon for breakfast.
So yes?
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I eat smaller portions, exercise more and take the dog on longer walks.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:36 pm I eat smaller portions, exercise more and take the dog on longer walks.
You MUST mean Leo! Not just “the dog” :wink: :-D
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I never go out to eat, as it is a complete waste of time and money.
Consuming more than 300 to 400 calories during any given meal is almost impossible for me.
I eat 2 350 calorie meals a day, plus a few snacks that total about 200 to 300 calories.
I do not drink alcohol at all, and have not had a soda in over 20 years.
I do drink Gatorade, but one quart of that is half the calories of a 12oz. Soda.
My main reasons for not drinking soda are, it is pure sugar, and I do not drink caffeine.
My weakness is that I love chocolate shakes, which are of course almost pure sugar, but taste great.
I have started to consume 1 half of the shake and toss the rest. I little wasteful but better than consuming bad stuff when I just don't want any more.
Kinda like food, I can only eat a small amount at a time.
I am consistently around 156, and feel good at that weight.
Not to preach, but the no alcohol thing for me personally is very helpful for numerous reasons, most of them quite boring.
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

4 hours of tantric sex a day...
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:36 pm I eat smaller portions, exercise more and take the dog on longer walks.
Truth in simplicity.

It's an equation. Calories consumed vs burned.
I weight 230 in the offseason and get to around 200 in the summer. This is my pattern every year. Duality defines my physical regimen. Solely weightlifting with emphasis on powerlifting during the fall and winter then turn to running and climbing related exercise in the spring and summer.

What I've found is the first ingredient is patience. When you first eat less and burn calories more the body sees it as a crisis and tries to withhold its bulk. After some time it relents and starts to function 'trusting' the new regime.
So yes, burn more and eat less (and better). Chicken or Turkey instead of beef. Try to enjoy more salad. Stay away from heavy carbs. Soon you will lose those cravings.
And pickles. Makes for a good tasty snack. High in sodium but ridiculously low in calories.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Jorts wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:05 pm
bergsteigen wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:02 pm Ones diet in Colorado is like religion or politics - everyone has strong opinions. Everyone.
Didn't think my opinion on diet was particularly strong. But okay.
Exceptions to every rule? I do think vegan athletes will have health problems when they get older (unless they won the golden genetic ticket). I’ve witnessed a few vegans change their tune as their bodies reject that extreme diet.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

bergsteigen wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:25 am
bergsteigen wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:02 pm Ones diet in Colorado is like religion or politics - everyone has strong opinions. Everyone.
Exceptions to every rule? I do think vegan athletes will have health problems when they get older (unless they won the golden genetic ticket). I’ve witnessed a few vegans change their tune as their bodies reject that extreme diet.
Why?
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Like Justiner said - there are many ways to do this. I'll add that what works for one person will not work for another. Everyone has different body chemistry, some have faster metabolisms, some slower, some have more active thyroids, some less active, not to mention age, gender, underlying conditions, required medications, etc. which change the equation of fitness.

If you feel you need to lose more than 10-15% of your body weight, then best first to get a check up with your Doctor to make sure any immediate changes aren't going to do anything wrong and that you have no underlying conditions which would warrant a more tailored approach.

With all that said, I've found a couple generalities should be followed.

Diet wise:

1. Reduce as much as you can sugars in your diet, particularly "added" sugars, synthetic sweeteners, sugar alcohols, etc. all of which puts your insulin level out of whack, influences hunger, will cause fat deposition (i.e. weight) issues and metabolism issues not to mention many other complications. You'd be surprised where you find sugars and how much you take in.

2. Reduce/eliminate refined/overly processed foods insofar as possible

3. Experiment with removing some foods that many people have issues with (wheat, grains, dairy, soy, eggs, nightshades, nuts, etc..) and see if removing any of these for a month has any change with you.

4. Absent success on the above, get a food sensitivity panel done, which involves blood tests from a Functional medicine based physician, that could reveal some unknown sensitivities you have which could be causing some inflammation and other issues in your gut, etc.

Lifestyle wise:

(again, check with your physician to make you have no underlying issues before engaging in exercise, etc)

Add in a combination of (i) strength training (weights, barbells, dumbbells, body weight exercises), (ii) cardiovascular work, focusing first on your aerobic range (Google: Heart rate zones and aerobic training) and (iii) stretching/rehab

Try to be regular about exercise, 4-5x per week and make it part of your lifestyle.

Good luck!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

LetsGoMets wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:37 am
bergsteigen wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:25 am

Why?
Simple. In the great human experiment with diets, veganism is a new fad, and as such there isn’t much scientific evidence to say what will happen to individuals on the diet over the long term. Health problems usually start in ones 40s and 50s. Let alone what developmental issues will happen to children on the diet. We’re only just now finding out how bad high fructose corn syrup is and other “modern” advances in food tech from the past century that have ruined our bodies!

At least we all still get to choose what we wish to eat. So we get to make our own experiments with diet. For me, I’m celiac with intolerances for dairy, legumes and excessive carbohydrate consumption - so vegan is very very unhealthy diet choice for my body.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

bergsteigen wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:29 pm Simple. In the great human experiment with diets, veganism is a new fad, and as such there isn’t much scientific evidence to say what will happen to individuals on the diet over the long term. Health problems usually start in ones 40s and 50s. Let alone what developmental issues will happen to children on the diet. We’re only just now finding out how bad high fructose corn syrup is and other “modern” advances in food tech from the past century that have ruined our bodies!

At least we all still get to choose what we wish to eat. So we get to make our own experiments with diet. For me, I’m celiac with intolerances for dairy, legumes and excessive carbohydrate consumption - so vegan is very very unhealthy diet choice for my body.
That's fair. I don't think there is much long-term evidence out there to support (or reject) a strictly vegan diet in the long term. Although those ancient Dharmic traditions (buddhism, hinduism, sikhism) were all plant-based and had longevity.

And yet meat-based diets high in red meat and processed meat lead to increased risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, and premature death. That's not disputed.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/news/2020/new ... 20causes.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying- ... h-red-meat
Attachments
keto.jpg
keto.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring