Mike Posner to Climb Everest

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mike Posner to Climb Everest

Post by two lunches »

I Man wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:10 am My best friend is in Nepal now to attempt Makalu. He had an unfortunate run in at a group dinner in Katmandu with a "pompous climber from Colorado who made it known immediately that he had a PhD."
i'm crying :lol:
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Off topic a little, but it seems every climbing state has a climbing villain. In Colorado it seems to be Dr. Jon. When I lived in Utah it was Dick Bass. California had one too, but I forgot the name.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Be careful what you wish for
Attachments
4257D152-5161-42A5-BB19-23DF6F3ED9E0.jpeg
4257D152-5161-42A5-BB19-23DF6F3ED9E0.jpeg (115.57 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Oh, buddy, you know how to trigger me...
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 pm
XterraRob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:51 pm Can someone explain the game of "Fund Raising" in regards to funding climbs?
from talking to people who do that - one option is that they do motivational speaking, create a business and do some tax stuff to write off mountaineering trips as a business expense, then do speeches at large corporations

another type is they are the first person of "X" quality (first person named billy bob jr to climb everest!) and are able to fund raise from the billy bob association of billy bobs

another type is just rich to begin with

this only really works for everest trips as any of the other 8000ers dont have name recognition
I've never really understood the fund raising thing as it applies to mountain climbing either. I mean, it's a selfish sport by nature. If someone is raising funds to draw attention to Cause-A or Cause-B,
I think there's much better ways to do it than a sport that focuses the attention on what the individual is doing; kind of counter-productive me thinks.
And does anyone really give a s*it anymore if the first born of a 6th generation of illegal immigrants living in the 38th state is the first to summit Everest? That "first" honor has kind of lost its
importance over the years. It gets to the point where that initial awesome feat of summiting a peak like that, by say, a blind person or double amputee which, IS REMARKABLE becomes watered down
by someone else who thinks making an espresso at 29,000' is comparable. I find it disgusting.

While I don't know Jon and honestly, don't really care much about him or his exploits, I get the impression he's the kind of guy that falls into the category above. I mean, sleeping on all the 14er summits, really? :roll:
That's your claim to fame? He comes across as a tool. But he has a PhD!! :lol:
You wanna be impressed? Check out this guy named Chris Davenport. Dudes legit.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:26 pm Oh, buddy, you know how to trigger me...
:lol:
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Kiefer wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:01 pm And does anyone really give a s*it anymore if the first born of a 6th generation of illegal immigrants living in the 38th state is the first to summit Everest?
Apparently a lot of people care about this climb since the Gofundme is over $208,000.

Since it goes to a good cause I might be willing to donate if Dr. Jon wasn't involved. I wonder how much Mike Posner knows about Dr. Jon?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

So, uhh, who is Mike Posner? Lol
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

d_baker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:50 pm So, uhh, who is Mike Posner? Lol
Let me Wikipedia that for you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Posner
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

AnnaG22 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 pm
Let me Wikipedia that for you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Posner
And after reading the wiki, I realize I still have never heard of him
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Apparently colorado treated him badly when he was here. A rattlesnake bit him, temporarily hospitalizing him. I wish him better luck on Everest,
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

dpage wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:21 pmAnd after reading the wiki, I realize I still have never heard of him
Presumably you both have heard this? It was on the radio for at least 30 times a day for quite a while. :wink:

https://youtu.be/Wx9XYrRpHjo