Mike Posner to Climb Everest

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mike Posner to Climb Everest

Post by Bale »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 pm
XterraRob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:51 pm Can someone explain the game of "Fund Raising" in regards to funding climbs?

another type is they are the first person of "X" quality (first person named billy bob jr to climb everest!) and are able to fund raise from the billy bob association of billy bobs
This made me chuckle. In the same vein, Washburn to Wilcox; “according to our records, McKinley has not been climbed blindfolded or backwards, nor has any party of nine persons yet fallen simultaneously into the same crevasse. We hope that you may wish to rise to one of these compelling challenges”
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Scott P wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:37 pm Presumably you both have heard this? It was on the radio for at least 30 times a day for quite a while. :wink:

https://youtu.be/Wx9XYrRpHjo
People still listen to the radio? =;

As for Everest, who cares? Sure it's neat to stand on tall rocks and that is why we are all here, but unless you are doing it without guides and oxygen while going up a nonstandard route there isn't anything interesting to discuss at this point...
Lhotse27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lhotse27 »

Yes
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

No, no one has ever heard that song. Thank god.

More importantly, I still don't think it's clear exactly how the funds raised are going to be used, and before anyone donates, I'd think that would be the primary thing to know. If fully 1/3 or 1/4 of that money is going to pay for his look-at-me exploit, that's BS, no other way to put it. Anyone figure that part out yet?
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

I think these questions are pretty valid. I don't think Mike here is hard up for money, as he - and I don't know if anyone knows this - is a Grammy nominated singer-songwriter.

Is GoFundMe set up to give the funds directly to Detroit Justice Center? I would assume so, as if he takes it in directly, it's basically taxable income, which would make little sense to then donate what's let to the DJC. But since it says anything donated is tax deductable, and you need to be a non-profit for that, my thought is that it doesn't go to him at all, but instead directly to the cause he's fundraising for.

Everything else is at his expense which and - since he's a Grammy nominated singer-songwriter, doesn't seem like that would be all that much in the grand scheme of his life. I'm sure much of it will be handled by his manager and written off as a business expense. Like, do you really think that this Grammy nominated singer-songwriter won't be producing mucho content or a music video while out there?
justiner
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Looks like it's pretty easy to set this all up to give money to a non-profit. GoFundMe takes quite the cut, but that's paperwork for ya,
Let’s_start_with_the_basics.jpg
Let’s_start_with_the_basics.jpg (78.37 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

justiner wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:15 am Looks like it's pretty easy to set this all up to give money to a non-profit. GoFundMe takes quite the cut, but that's paperwork for ya,

Let’s_start_with_the_basics.jpg
Not to mention, the UI of the donation pages makes it pretty damn clear where the money is going. For example: The cop who was killed at the Capitol vs Mike’s fundraiser...
C86A7430-BBEE-4AF9-819D-B8674EBA0A5F.jpeg
C86A7430-BBEE-4AF9-819D-B8674EBA0A5F.jpeg (93.63 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
AAC6BC18-3928-470B-A4A1-CC3C41DFE2B2.jpeg
AAC6BC18-3928-470B-A4A1-CC3C41DFE2B2.jpeg (92.77 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

if the funds go directly to the charity, then its legit. i mean, people run marathons and jump into ice cold water to raise money, so it's not like it has to be an earth-shattering accomplishment to be a worthwhile fundraiser. climbing Everest is probably a notch above running a local charity relay or selling Girl Scout cookies in the difficulty spectrum, so if he was going to go climb it anyway, and pay for it himself, and decided to use whatever notoriety or fame he has to get people's attention for donating money to some other cause, then good for him.

but seriously now.... Jon Kedrowski????
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
justiner
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

I'm not sure what the hate on GoFundMe is all about tbh. Are there scams? Sure. But if people have to use GoFundMe to help offset the cost of cancer treatment, I don't think that's really the person who's suffering's fault. Kickstarter has a "few" examples of products never coming to market, but that's sort of the dice you roll there.
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

So he's a Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter???? Who knew?
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
quackquackcolorado
14ers: 58 
13ers: 228
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quackquackcolorado »

I don't really see anything wrong here. Millionaire singer fundraising for a cause while climbing Everest.

Not too long ago, he actually road walked across the US coast to coast, so he definitely has the mental toughness. He also has the money to get the support needed to summit. I think he'll make it.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

quackquackcolorado wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:00 pm I don't really see anything wrong here. Millionaire singer fundraising for a cause while climbing Everest.

Not too long ago, he actually road walked across the US coast to coast, so he definitely has the mental toughness. He also has the money to get the support needed to summit. I think he'll make it.
Only thing I see wrong is his coach.

But I do agree with you that he has the personal mental fortitude to summit.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried