Mike Posner to Climb Everest

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Mike Posner to Climb Everest

Post by Been_Jammin »

Mike Posner plans to climb Mount Everest for charity. His gofundme has already raise over $200K. He lists his coach as Dr. Jon Kedrowski.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/everest
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Mike Posner to Climb Everest

Post by Trotter »

do the funds go towards his $60,000 personal cost to climb everest?

I hope not
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

people are still able to fundraise money to climb everest?
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

They ought to fundraise to clean up all the trash. Maybe Dr. Jon could take a picture cleaning it up, then leave the trash there and give a speech about it later.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Can someone explain the game of "Fund Raising" in regards to funding climbs?
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

XterraRob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:51 pm Can someone explain the game of "Fund Raising" in regards to funding climbs?
from talking to people who do that - one option is that they do motivational speaking, create a business and do some tax stuff to write off mountaineering trips as a business expense, then do speeches at large corporations

another type is they are the first person of "X" quality (first person named billy bob jr to climb everest!) and are able to fund raise from the billy bob association of billy bobs

another type is just rich to begin with

this only really works for everest trips as any of the other 8000ers dont have name recognition
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

This gives me such mixed feelings. On the one hand, Mike Posner seems like a pretty cool dude, and the fundraiser is clearly done with good intent. On the other hand, well...JK.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

All I know is if I asked you to donate to a non profit, CO based org whilst I'm doing some ridiculous challenge, some of y'all would have my back. :horns:
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

I can't believe anyone still donates to GoFundMe campaigns at all anymore, given the numerous, well documented, high profile, fraudulent and quasi-fraudulent BS that seems to follow any story with "GoFundMe" involved...
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Trotter wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:56 pm do the funds go towards his $60,000 personal cost to climb everest?

I hope not
do the funds go towards Dr. Jon Kedrowski's "training" fee?

I hope not

seems like a good cause, but nowhere on the page does he actually say how much of the money being raised actually goes to the organization. i would hope 100%. if any portion of that money is being used to fund his travel or climbing expenses, then he's really just asking people to pay for his dream trip, and giving away the surplus. so i think that part needs to be clarified.

in the meantime, i'll donate this free tip for him: find a better coach
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

My best friend is in Nepal now to attempt Makalu. He had an unfortunate run in at a group dinner in Katmandu with a "pompous climber from Colorado who made it known immediately that he had a PhD."

Sounds like after he left, the conversation shifted to why no one respects the "Dr" back home
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

I wasn't around for any of the original threads about Dr. Jon so I'm excited to see where this goes :lol: