Mike Posner to Climb Everest

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mike Posner to Climb Everest

Post by Salient »

Scott P wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:37 pm
dpage wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:21 pmAnd after reading the wiki, I realize I still have never heard of him
d_baker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:50 pm So, uhh, who is Mike Posner? Lol
Presumably you both have heard this? It was on the radio for at least 30 times a day for quite a while. :wink:

https://youtu.be/Wx9XYrRpHjo
I Took A Bill In Ibiza is Mike Posner’s true masterpiece. That was played all over the radio in 2016 and was probably the best hit song of that year.
Be the best you that you can be.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Salient wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 pm
dpage wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:21 pmAnd after reading the wiki, I realize I still have never heard of him
d_baker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:50 pm So, uhh, who is Mike Posner? Lol
Presumably you both have heard this? It was on the radio for at least 30 times a day for quite a while. :wink:

I Took A Bill In Ibiza is Mike Posner’s true masterpiece. That was played all over the radio in 2016 and was probably the best hit song of that year.
i had never heard either of these songs before. now that i have, i won't be contributing money to his Everest climb, but i will happily donate whatever money it takes to keep him from making more songs.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:17 am
Salient wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 pm

i had never heard either of these songs before. now that i have, i won't be contributing money to his Everest climb, but i will happily donate whatever money it takes to keep him from making more songs.
Unrelated to the subject at hand, but I don't really understand why people still feel the need to hate popular things. Posner is far from the best pop artist of the 2010s (we all know that title belongs to Charli XCX, right guys?), but his music is largely fine and inoffensive lol. The idea that it's so bad that you feel compelled to not donate to a charitable cause just seems silly
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Salient wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 pm I Took A Bill In Ibiza is Mike Posner’s true masterpiece. That was played all over the radio in 2016 and was probably the best hit song of that year.
Which Bill? BILL MIDDLEBROOK?!
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

justiner wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:30 am
Salient wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 pm I Took A Bill In Ibiza is Mike Posner’s true masterpiece. That was played all over the radio in 2016 and was probably the best hit song of that year.
Which Bill? BILL MIDDLEBROOK?!
:lol:
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

1.3 billion views, 3 million Youtube followers. Holy ****, he can probably afford Everest.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:17 am i had never heard either of these songs before.
I'm old and didn't recognize his name but definitely recognize those songs -- kind of inoffensive background music that was on the radio a bit. Wouldn't change the station but never registered the name.

So here's my question: Is
Supplemental O2:Climbing as Autotune:Pop Music?
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

madbuck wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:33 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:17 am i had never heard either of these songs before.
I'm old and didn't recognize his name but definitely recognize those songs -- kind of inoffensive background music that was on the radio a bit. Wouldn't change the station but never registered the name.

So here's my question: Is
Supplemental O2:Climbing as Autotune:Pop Music?
Nah, autotune can be used an artistic ways while supplemental O2 can't be used creatively. I'd say a more apt comparison would be Sherpas:Himalayan Climbing as Songwriters and Studio Musicians:Pop Stars :mrgreen:
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

I don't have any gripes about the singer. I actually like his "Live before I die" song and seems fitting and catchy for the 14er adventurist type people. Seems like his coast to coast walk was for a good cause so I'm sure this one will be too. No comment on the doc.

"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
mcgrawt9
14ers: 36  9  1 
13ers: 29 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mcgrawt9 »

I ran into Posner and PhD (also saw Jon Krakauer splitboarding the ridge...pretty famous crowd for a 14er) on Quandary back in early March while skiing from the summit (in case anyone from the other thread is doing their due diligence on my checklist) and chatted with him for a few minutes. Mike seemed like a super nice and outgoing guy. A recognizable voice...atleast to me who is on the right side of 35 and listens to the radio. Seems like the charity/GofundMe is legit but I suppose time will tell. Would recommend his new song, it's quite upbeat

https://youtu.be/BHTC7kILna8
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Personally I don't have a problem with Mike or his fundraiser - it goes directly to the cause so what's not to like? He's using his star power for good. Climbing Everest is a whole 'nother thing, I guess.

I did enjoy the last Enormocast w/Mark Synnott:

https://enormocast.com/2021/04/enormoca ... adventure/

who recently summited Everest with a few people you may have also heard about, looking for that damn camera of Irving's. He had some interesting things to say about the crowds found at Everest.

As for pop music, I personally do like mine dangerous and controversial, but that's just me!

Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

mcgrawt9 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:32 pm I ran into Posner and PhD (also saw Jon Krakauer splitboarding the ridge...pretty famous crowd for a 14er) on Quandary back in early March while skiing from the summit (in case anyone from the other thread is doing their due diligence on my checklist) and chatted with him for a few minutes. Mike seemed like a super nice and outgoing guy. A recognizable voice...atleast to me who is on the right side of 35 and listens to the radio. Seems like the charity/GofundMe is legit but I suppose time will tell. Would recommend his new song, it's quite upbeat

https://youtu.be/BHTC7kILna8
Pretty neat. I think I skied quandary the day after you. I don’t know if I would recognize Krakauer. Love his books... but I can only visualize the actor that plays him in that Everest movie. Lol.