Mike Posner to Climb Everest

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mcgrawt9
14ers: 36  9  1 
13ers: 29 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mike Posner to Climb Everest

Post by mcgrawt9 »

Been_Jammin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:29 pm
mcgrawt9 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:32 pm I ran into Posner and PhD (also saw Jon Krakauer splitboarding the ridge...pretty famous crowd for a 14er) on Quandary back in early March while skiing from the summit (in case anyone from the other thread is doing their due diligence on my checklist) and chatted with him for a few minutes. Mike seemed like a super nice and outgoing guy. A recognizable voice...atleast to me who is on the right side of 35 and listens to the radio. Seems like the charity/GofundMe is legit but I suppose time will tell. Would recommend his new song, it's quite upbeat

https://youtu.be/BHTC7kILna8
Pretty neat. I think I skied quandary the day after you. I don’t know if I would recognize Krakauer. Love his books... but I can only visualize the actor that plays him in that Everest movie. Lol.
I've seen too many climbing docs with him featured to not recognize him casually carving the ridge. Especially when he had no helmet, hat, or anything blocking his appearance and then posted it on Instagram to confirm my observation lol.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Been_Jammin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:29 pm Pretty neat. I think I skied quandary the day after you. I don’t know if I would recognize Krakauer. Love his books... but I can only visualize the actor that plays him in that Everest movie. Lol.
Only ran into him once on Buffalo (Silver), but he was easy to recognize. Older looking dude (most snowboarders are pretty young), hard boots, fast. Wasn't chatty with us. His excellent Instagram @krakauernotwriting
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

SnowAlien wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:23 am
Been_Jammin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:29 pm Pretty neat. I think I skied quandary the day after you. I don’t know if I would recognize Krakauer. Love his books... but I can only visualize the actor that plays him in that Everest movie. Lol.
Only ran into him once on Buffalo (Silver), but he was easy to recognize. Older looking dude (most snowboarders are pretty young), hard boots, fast. Wasn't chatty with us. His excellent Instagram @krakauernotwriting
I gave his account a follow. Krakauer is 67 and still getting after it... major goals.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

benmangelsdorf wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:27 am
timisimaginary wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:17 am
Salient wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 pm

I Took A Bill In Ibiza is Mike Posner’s true masterpiece. That was played all over the radio in 2016 and was probably the best hit song of that year.
i had never heard either of these songs before. now that i have, i won't be contributing money to his Everest climb, but i will happily donate whatever money it takes to keep him from making more songs.
Unrelated to the subject at hand, but I don't really understand why people still feel the need to hate popular things. Posner is far from the best pop artist of the 2010s (we all know that title belongs to Charli XCX, right guys?), but his music is largely fine and inoffensive lol. The idea that it's so bad that you feel compelled to not donate to a charitable cause just seems silly
i don't "hate" his music because it is/was popular, i "hate" it because it's bad music. (i actually don't "hate" it at all, i just dislike it... i reserve my actual hate for more deserving targets). that's not why i'm not donating to his fundraiser though. i wasn't going to donate to it anyway. i think it's a good cause, but there are plenty of other good causes worth donating to and i only have so much money.
i do like some popular things too. i like that Dont Start Now song, but if Dua Lipa announces she's gonna run the Leadville 100 to raise money for psoriasis research, i'm probably not going to donate to that either.
i'm also not going to actually donate money to stop Mike Posner from recording more songs. that part was, y'know, a joke. i'll be reserving that money for any possible future fundraiser aimed at ending the Black Eyed Peas' reign of terror against music.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

He's at base camp! And he's gotta guitar!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN8D1HrJPzT/
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:41 ami'll be reserving that money for any possible future fundraiser aimed at ending the Black Eyed Peas' reign of terror against music.
Where is the love
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Who? Sorry, I just had to pile on. Really didn’t know who it was though. Anyways, good luck and a safe adventure to him.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

justiner wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:13 pm He's at base camp! And he's gotta guitar!

Here he is at K2 base camp this past winter:
https://youtu.be/yRZAB_OkZuk
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

nsaladin wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:32 am
justiner wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:13 pm He's at base camp! And he's gotta guitar!

Here he is at K2 base camp this past winter:
https://youtu.be/yRZAB_OkZuk
Posner has talent. Dude is a showman for sure.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

The south Asian covid super-surge may cancel this years climbing season:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2422521/f ... -base-camp

Bad luck. This could be 4th cancelation in a decade.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Summit!
Lhotse27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lhotse27 »

Hope he did not use fixed ropes or use those bottles meant for the morally, mentally, and physically weak.