What's the easiest 14er in each range?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

What's the easiest 14er in each range?

Post by Jbrow327 »

This summer I'd like to bag 6 to 10 14ers in Colorado. I live in Utah so I can go to Colorado frequently. So, what is the easiest peak in the 6 14er ranges excluding the Elk range?
Do they plow roads to high elevation trailheads in June?
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Re: What's the easiest 14er in each range?

Post by LarryM »

Jbrow327 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:33 pm This summer I'd like to bag 6 to 10 14ers in Colorado. I live in Utah so I can go to Colorado frequently. So, what is the easiest peak in the 6 14er ranges excluding the Elk range?

Front: Grays or Bierstadt
Sawatch: Elbert or Huron
San Juans: Handies
Ten Mile/Mosquito: Quandary or Sherman (or Quandry and Sherman, if you consider these separate ranges, which they aren't)
Sangres: Humboldt

disclaimer: I haven't climbed Handies or Humboldt I am just relying upon route descriptions.

Most trail heads should be accessible by June, depending upon when in June and how fast the snow melts. Also obviously some of the above are more accessible than others..
Last edited by LarryM on Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jbrow327 »

LarryM wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:42 pm
Jbrow327 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:33 pm This summer I'd like to bag 6 to 10 14ers in Colorado. I live in Utah so I can go to Colorado frequently. So, what is the easiest peak in the 6 14er ranges excluding the Elk range?

Front: Grays or Bierstadt
Sawatch: Elbert or Huron
San Juans: Handies
Ten Mile/Mosquito: Quandary or Sherman (or Quandry and Sherman, if you consider these separate ranges, which they aren't)
Sangres: Humboldt

disclaimer: I haven't climbed Handies or Humboldt I am just relying upon route descriptions.

Most trail heads should be accessible by June, depending upon when in June and how fast the snow melts. Also obviously some of the above are more accessible than others..
Thanks. I didn't know the Ten Mile and Mosquito ranges were the same range. Why would they name them differently?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

It also depends on what vehicle you have.

If you have a 4wd Antero is the easiest in the Sawatch.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Sangres: Lindsey much easier by the mileage and gain although there's a short scrambling section.

Sawatch : Prnceton or Antero if you can drive higher

Front : Evans from summit lake and both this and Pikes have drive ups

Elks : Castle, especially if you drive to upper th

Tenmile and Mosquito are different, especially the scenery and shape of the peaks.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

Scott P wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:05 pm It also depends on what vehicle you have.

If you have a 4wd Antero is the easiest in the Sawatch.
I think everything in the Sawatch is easy as far as terrain goes, I mean, you aren't about to fall off any of them. The difficulty would be measured by length and elevation gain. With a 4 wd Antero is probably easiest/shortest, Princeton would be right up there. Without a 4wd, Elbert, Massive, Yale fairly close in difficulty (or lack of difficulty) - plenty of vertical, easy trails.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

https://www.14ers.com/routes_bydifficulty.php
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"