Snowmass-Capitol ridge

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Snowmass-Capitol ridge

Post by oldschool »

You know I'm in Kiefer!

I have scoured pictures and Google Earth for a way off the summit without that rappel. When we were up there I walked out and looked for any weakness and didn't find one. Incredible we found that old piton, which kinda tells you the otber parties that attempted going out there didn't find any other way down either.

Keep me in the loop Kiefer.

Mike
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

There was a trip report on fourteenerworld in the early 2000's by Hassan Bergstrand (spelling uncertain). He climbed Capitol from the basin SE of Avalanche Lake. I think part of his route was on a side ridge that joins with the main Capitol/Snowmass ridge at about 13.6 or 13.8k. I looked at the 14ers.com trip report but I can't tell if the rappel is before or after where Bergstrand would have joined the main ridge. I don't remember him describing any climbing harder than low 5th class but 5.6 is low 5th class for some people
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Honor would be all mine.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Kiefer, nice write up on the traverse.

How did you manage the 40m rappel with a 60m rope?
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

What a strange video, some of my photos are in there
oldschool
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

justiner wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 pm What a strange video, some of my photos are in there
Some of mine are also, from the TR I put up in 2010.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

CoHi591 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:15 pm Those are some really great TRs. They're some of my favorite on the site, after of course Shermapangma.
Hahahahahahaha the best.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:24 pm
Rock trundling at 5:50.
I wonder where that footage came from?
Along with the roped climbing photos, because Mike and Kiefer, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing pitches like that when you guys had posted the report.
I don't see Noah's report on here anymore either.
And the music on that video, geez....
oldschool
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Nope...no roped pitches like that. Very weird video. Not sure what the goal or purpose of the video is.

Haven't looked for Noah's TR's in years. Not sure why they wouldn't be there.

Mike
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I took a wrong line from Snowmass to N Snowmass. It was theoretically a class 2 scramble, but every fridge-sized boulder moved when looked at. That ridge is truly nasty and nobody travels on it to knock loose the worst offenders. Way too much potential for something weighing a ton or more killing you. No thanks.
oldschool
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

spiderman wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:23 pm I took a wrong line from Snowmass to N Snowmass. It was theoretically a class 2 scramble, but every fridge-sized boulder moved when looked at. That ridge is truly nasty and nobody travels on it to knock loose the worst offenders. Way too much potential for something weighing a ton or more killing you. No thanks.
True. Going in our team knew the risks and the general "pile of rubble" that the Elks are. We all paid attention so we would not knock off the worst offenders, which we didn't.

If I may however......as you said "potential for something weighing a ton or more to kill you" kinda sounds to me like driving a car or truck on almost any road on almost any day. I find the way we all look at risk to be a fascinating subject. I found myself no more at risk doing the traverse than driving my truck or motorcycle, rock climbing, or for that matter...just living. I do appreciate your viewpoint and understand how others see risk differently than I do.