What are my chances at fording the Platte near Long Scraggy?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: What are my chances at fording the Platte near Long Scraggy?

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

ScottLovesRMNP wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:07 pm
Conor wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:40 am "That's the sorriest river in America. You've heard all the jokes about the Platte. 'Too thick to drink, too thin to plow.'"
More than half-a-million sandhill cranes (more than 80% of the world's population) migrate through central Nebraska every spring as a vital stopover on the Platte River on their 1000's of miles journey of migration north. The unique nature of the Platte in Nebraska -- wide and shallow with sandbars -- offers the cranes a safe place to sleep at night, and the nearby cornfields offer food for them to rejuvenate themselves by day to continue their journey. For this reason, I prefer to celebrate this particular river :-)
I've been there for this! Super cool experience and a nice visitor center.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

ScottLovesRMNP wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:07 pm
Conor wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:40 am "That's the sorriest river in America. You've heard all the jokes about the Platte. 'Too thick to drink, too thin to plow.'"
More than half-a-million sandhill cranes (more than 80% of the world's population) migrate through central Nebraska every spring as a vital stopover on the Platte River on their 1000's of miles journey of migration north. The unique nature of the Platte in Nebraska -- wide and shallow with sandbars -- offers the cranes a safe place to sleep at night, and the nearby cornfields offer food for them to rejuvenate themselves by day to continue their journey. For this reason, I prefer to celebrate this particular river :-)
If celebration of the platte is your thing, I would suggest the book "centennial." It would also put my quote into context. :-D
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Nothing related to 14ers in any way but I lived 8yrs in Kearney NE. We loved seeing the cranes in Spring - although not everyone along the Platte does (too much poop on the porch I guess). While there I found a photo book by a photographer who documented life on the great plains during the first phase of settlement. Those people were far tougher than we are now.

https://history.nebraska.gov/collection ... collection
Roll No Rocks
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

the Platte is a glorious and mighty river

both the winding snaking path of the southern branch from Mt Lincoln down thru Lost Creek and Deckers

and the northern arm from its origins up in north park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platte_River
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

We’re you trying to find a faster way to the Josh fight?
Be the best you that you can be.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

I'm asking because I'm considering following up my award-winning trip report on eastern approach on Thunder Butte with similar one on Long Scraggy

but it isn't as clean of an approach - river-wise, private property-wise, and actual approach-wise

so has yet to be seen if this is going down. that standard one from the top of the world road turnout seems excessive.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by habaceeba »

I've thought of this same question so thanks for asking. Do you have access to a kayak? That might get you across if there's a suitable put in.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

jibler wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:21 pm so has yet to be seen if this is going down. that standard one from the top of the world road turnout seems excessive.
We parked at the Colorado Trail access on 550 and then hiked road 530 towards Long Scraggy. There's a trail in there eventually off 530 if you can find it. Otherwise you can bushwhack up the slopes and eventually you'll run into a cairned path.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

jibler wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:21 pm that standard one from the top of the world road turnout seems excessive.
As compared to fording the river and the eastern approach/climb.... :lol: :roll:
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"