What are my chances at fording the Platte near Long Scraggy?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

What are my chances at fording the Platte near Long Scraggy?

Post by jibler »

at this time of year? just wading across with my boots off.

is it running heavy?

Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: What are my chances at fording the Platte near Long Scraggy?

Post by Carl_Healy »

Can try checking the gauges on Weather.gov

https://water.weather.gov/ahps/

Though I'd trust anyone who's actually had their eyes on it around there far more
South Plate Long Scraggy Gauges 22-Apr-2021
South Plate Long Scraggy Gauges 22-Apr-2021
South Platte Gauges 22-Apr-2021.png (722.18 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Anyone watching the drought? I don't know about the Platte, but I watch the Colorado through Grand Junction, and I have to say that these past two years have been astoundingly bad. No spring run off at all. The river stays at the winter low, and then just dwindles all summer. So based on that, I am guessing you can wade across the Platte with ease and without regard to the records of 1848.

Water Wars.

When will that thread get more hits that "shelter in place"?

Soon, I expect.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

From what I can see the S. Platte is running typical early spring. There's been alot of snow up here the past month, but should be melting quickly this weekend. Not sure WHERE you're looking to cross, but you can probably find a suitable spot. I'd say your biggest issue is going to be freezing your nuts off! Good luck.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

Wentzl wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:44 pm Anyone watching the drought? I don't know about the Platte, but I watch the Colorado through Grand Junction, and I have to say that these past two years have been astoundingly bad. No spring run off at all. The river stays at the winter low, and then just dwindles all summer. So based on that, I am guessing you can wade across the Platte with ease and without regard to the records of 1848.

Water Wars.

Soon, I expect.
western slope has had it rough the past decade, probably the new normal
spoony
14ers: 21  14  3 
13ers: 5 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

Wentzl wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:44 pm Anyone watching the drought? I don't know about the Platte, but I watch the Colorado through Grand Junction, and I have to say that these past two years have been astoundingly bad. No spring run off at all. The river stays at the winter low, and then just dwindles all summer. So based on that, I am guessing you can wade across the Platte with ease and without regard to the records of 1848.

Water Wars.

Soon, I expect.
This year there seems to be a huge difference in snowpack between the Front Range and the rest of the state thanks to the recent string of storms. I'm in central mountains and we have had a lot of wind, but very little moisture out of the recent storms. I don't know what the runoff will look like on the upper Arkansas, but I keep seeing pretty good totals for the eastern areas, so presumably the Platte and lower Arkansas will have a good runoff?
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

If I'm reading the flow charts correctly, the flow on the lower chart is at 106 cfs (cubic feet per second), which is really low. But walking across barefoot, while probably do-able, is just silly. Those submerged rocks and pebbles will have a layer of moss/slime/silt on them making for very slippery traction. Pick a good spot, use two trekking poles, and wear some water shoes e.g. sandals, whatever. Probably fine but scout it well, e.g. don't ford just above a deep pool. Drowning is bad form and frowned upon... :lol: .

Fwiw, I just got off 2.5 days kayaking on the Colorado River, checking out a 5th class peak for a potential climb. It was running at 2250 cfs, which is about normal (?) for this time of the year, it'll probably get to near or over 10K cfs at peak flow. For sure the runnoff has been lower & spotty recently. Like backcountry skiing, river running has moved earlier in the season and the window is of shorter duration. Small boats (packrafts, kayaks) have it better due to a shallower draft, but yeah, the river scene has been pretty sobering for the last several years. Occasional great years, but more in the eh, mediocre-at-best range. Just my opinions.

-Tom
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Wow! Where was the river running at 2200 fps? I like to paddle between Palisade and Fruita and the flow today is just 475 fps, which is very low and not even enough water to kayak without dragging in places.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nwis/uv/? ... 0065,00060
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Wentzl wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:22 am Wow! Where was the river running at 2200 fps? I like to paddle between Palisade and Fruita and the flow today is just 475 fps, which is very low and not even enough water to kayak without dragging in places.

Ah, I see the confusion. Your measurement point is around Debeque Canyon, so it's prone to the draw-off that occurs with the Glenwood Canyon siphon, and doesn't take into account the confluence with the Gunnison, etc. That stretch is often super lean. Fwiw, the section from Fruita to the Utah state line is running about 2200+ right now, and that's the stretch we were on:

But I agree with you, Wentzl, that our rivers are under a lot of stress from overuse/watering & climate issues. Just my opinions, of course.

-Tom
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

"That's the sorriest river in America. You've heard all the jokes about the Platte. 'Too thick to drink, too thin to plow.'"
ScottLovesRMNP
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 327 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ScottLovesRMNP »

Conor wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:40 am "That's the sorriest river in America. You've heard all the jokes about the Platte. 'Too thick to drink, too thin to plow.'"
More than half-a-million sandhill cranes (more than 80% of the world's population) migrate through central Nebraska every spring as a vital stopover on the Platte River on their 1000's of miles journey of migration north. The unique nature of the Platte in Nebraska -- wide and shallow with sandbars -- offers the cranes a safe place to sleep at night, and the nearby cornfields offer food for them to rejuvenate themselves by day to continue their journey. For this reason, I prefer to celebrate this particular river :-)
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Not sure where this thread is going, but I live in the foothills not far from the S. Platte. If you're just looking to walk across this weekend, see my earlier response.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.