Thanks

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
seeking timberline
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (4)

Thanks

Post by seeking timberline »

Long time reader, first time poster here. A little about me: Born in Denver, raised in Canon City, schooled in Boulder, I’ve lived the last 35 years in exile in Texas. My wife and I have spent the last two years building a house in Salida, which we finally accomplished at the end of last summer. During that time this website has been invaluable at keeping us motivated.

Things I’ve learned from reading this site:
• Don’t throw rocks.
• Don’t claim to be the first, fastest, longest, or highest in the mountains when there are a bunch of knowledgeable people around here that probably have actually done it. Unless of course, you’ve summited K2 three times.
• Winter doesn’t start until Dec 21 no matter how cold it is or how much snow is on the ground.
• In life, timing is everything. When you’re ready for it, it will come. Or it will pass you by like a girl in a green Subaru.
• If I wander into the photography section of the forum, I won’t be doing anything else for the rest of the afternoon.
• Arête is not a fancy vegan restaurant in Boulder.
• Never go on a bike ride with Justiner.
• Never go skiing with any of you unless someone first produces a lift ticket.

Just kidding, obviously. I mainly just wanted to say thank you. Thanks to Bill for this great website and thanks to everyone here for the boundless information, insight and entertainment. Most importantly, thank you all for the inspiration for what is possible in the mountains.

I’m looking forward to exploring my home state with the perspective that comes from having been away for so long. I definitely consider myself a noob when it comes to climbing, my wife and I have exactly three 14ers under our belts but I hope to be able to contribute to this forum in some way and really hope to see some of you out there in the mountains.
eaagaard
14ers: 16 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Thanks

Post by eaagaard »

Hey, Timberline! As a current Texan, I sincerely hope you will help dispel the myth that all of us are beer-swilling, gas-guzzling bozos. Some (most?) of us have a deep love and respect for the wilderness and do everything we can to keep it that way. It pisses me off that a few bad apples make the rest of us look bad.

I suspect with a new house in Salida, you'll have no problem making friends on this forum! Great "base camp" for a lot of adventures! :-)
pcsongei
14ers: 15 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pcsongei »

Awesome first post and a solid summary of forum happenings in the past year or so!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Ain’t no bike ride like a Justiner bike ride

Cause a Justiner bike ride don’t: staaaaawp.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Good luck Timberline. I almost bought a second house in Salida in 1995 but instead bought a more expensive first house in Greeley. The regret has echoed loudly through my life for over a quarter of a century.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

what a great post! welcome back! oh, and sorry about the 35 y in tx--it only took me 11.
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by habaceeba »

Where did you live in Texas? I'm a native Texan born in Abilene. My entire family still lives there. I have lived here since 2006 and I will NEVER move back to that bass-ackwards state, EVER. Every time I go back I am more afraid of the people there. There is so much ignorance it's astounding, but hey 'the people are friendly.' :roll:
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Thanks.
Last edited by Wentzl on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

seeking timberline wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:04 am • Winter doesn’t start until Dec 21 no matter how cold it is or how much snow is on the ground.
There's a meteorological winter (Dec-Feb) and astronomical winter (Dec 21-Mar 21). So, it depends. There's no issue on Dec 21 - Feb 28 being winter.
seeking timberline
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by seeking timberline »

Habaceeba: We were in Houston. Like most big cities, pretty cool for what it offers in terms of restaurants, arts, sports, etc. But one can only take so much traffic, concrete, humidity and hurricanes. Seriously, f*** hurricanes. 8-[
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

i agree, thanks bill!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

So many of us have this same love of the mountains and it’s great to see a post like this. It’s been a long time since I had to dream about Colorado’s offerings from afar but I can certainly understand. Get here and get up high.

I love Colorado and all of the friends I’ve made here.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs