mountain-forecast.com wind color significance

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

mountain-forecast.com wind color significance

Post by mikefromcraig »

On mountain-forecast.com the wind forecast is given in mph and direction. Additionally, the forecasted mph number is color coded (yellow, green, orange, white, etc.). But the colors do not perfectly correlate to wind speed. For example, sometimes 35 is yellow and sometimes it is orange. What is the significance of the color?
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: mountain-forecast.com wind color significance

Post by Trotter »

mikefromcraig wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:34 pm On mountain-forecast.com the wind forecast is given in mph and direction. Additionally, the forecasted mph number is color coded (yellow, green, orange, white, etc.). But the colors do not perfectly correlate to wind speed. For example, sometimes 35 is yellow and sometimes it is orange. What is the significance of the color?
its a computer generated forecast, so possibly the colors are set to different numbers then the rounded off 5 mph. For example, 35 might be yellow or orange because the colors correspond to less then 35.0 mph, and greater then 35,0 mph. And the forecasted speeds are exactly 34.7 mph, and 35.7 mph, but both are rounded to 35 for the icon.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Cereal
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cereal »

Without looking to verify... Yes, I always figured that the colors were based on km/h (which you can see if you select degrees C). So, when you look at in mph (and degrees F), it rounds the numbers, but doesn't re-assign colors.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

Cereal wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:12 pm Without looking to verify... Yes, I always figured that the colors were based on km/h (which you can see if you select degrees C). So, when you look at in mph (and degrees F), it rounds the numbers, but doesn't re-assign colors.
Apparently this is the correct answer. The colors are for km/h and when those numbers are converted to mph sometimes two different km/h speeds get combined into the same mph speed but they keep the different color.

Thanks!
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Cereal wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:12 pm I always figured that the colors were based on km/h (which you can see if you select degrees C). So, when you look at in mph (and degrees F), it rounds the numbers, but doesn't re-assign colors.
=D>