Slumgullion history...

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Slumgullion history...

Post by HikerGuy »

Matt wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:53 pm
John Prater wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:38 pm
Kiefer wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:30 am Colorado is the ONLY state in the country that doesn't have any water sources flowing INTO it!
I must be missing some subtlety about this statement.
Me, too
This may not "count," but the San Juan River actually does flow from NM into CO, but only after meandering from its headwaters NE of Pagosa.
What say you, Mr. Thomas?
The Green River too in northwestern Colorado.
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

HikerGuy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:00 pm The Green River too in northwestern Colorado.
The Green River was my first thought. Well...and Hawaii.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

highpilgrim wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:30 pm
434stonemill wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:05 pm As for the Texans annexing Lake City every summer, some may claim they are just staking their historical rights to the land, as it may or may not have been part of the Republic of Texas.
Texans think the world revolves around them but the only thing that actually does is the stench of the oil industry. Anyone that’s been to Midland knows the truth of it.
Of course if you drove or flew into midland, you got there thanks to the oil industry :-D
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Trotter wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:18 pm Of course if you drove or flew into midland, you got there thanks to the oil industry
Equivalent to dying, then waking in hell and knowing the reason I was there was of my own doing.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

highpilgrim wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:16 pm
Trotter wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:18 pm Of course if you drove or flew into midland, you got there thanks to the oil industry
Equivalent to dying, then waking in hell and knowing the reason I was there was of my own doing.
Now, now. I grew up in Midland. And I can say without a doubt, that you are absolutely correct on this, Comrade. Got out of there as fast as I could.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by habaceeba »

painless4u2 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:41 am
Now, now. I grew up in Midland. And I can say without a doubt, that you are absolutely correct on this, Comrade. Got out of there as fast as I could.
Haha. I graduated from Midland Lee, class of '99. There was absolutely nothing to do in Midland but get into trouble. I haven't been back since, and it's a completely different place now.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

highpilgrim wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:30 pm Texans think the world revolves around them but the only thing that actually does is the stench of the oil industry. Anyone that’s been to Midland knows the truth of it.
Make wilderness less accessible.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

painless4u2 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:41 am
Wow, Pilgrim and the dentist agree to something! Midland does indeed suck, except the Midland Beer Garden.

Edit: Midland Beer Garden is now closed. Midland officially sucks in all ways.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"