What do you guys do for work/careers?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What do you guys do for work/careers?

Post by disentangled »

speth wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:56 am
My-Therapy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:04 pm Run a plant nursery on the Western Slope growing primarily Rocky Mountain and Colorado Plateau native plants. Most sales are online and I ship all over the country. Spring and early Summer are crazy and too busy to hike or backpack, however late summer into Fall I have time again. Winters off so plenty of time to trail run, hike, and ski.
Have a website?
Wondering this also!
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by My-Therapy »

shelly+ wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:19 pm
speth wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:56 am
My-Therapy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:04 pm Run a plant nursery on the Western Slope growing primarily Rocky Mountain and Colorado Plateau native plants. Most sales are online and I ship all over the country. Spring and early Summer are crazy and too busy to hike or backpack, however late summer into Fall I have time again. Winters off so plenty of time to trail run, hike, and ski.
Have a website?
Wondering this also!
https://www.coloradohardyplants.com/
RyanOhNoPleaseStop
14ers: 25  5 
13ers: 9 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by RyanOhNoPleaseStop »

Im a tree worker. Its been a blast climbing trees and hauling brush for 5 days a week, attempting a 14er on saturday, and recover on sunday then rinse and repeat... but im taking some time off next summer to focus on the mountains
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

StephanieEnnis wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:31 am
pcsongei wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:43 am I'm a middle school reading teacher. Works out pretty nicely with the summers off, but alpine season and my summer don't match perfectly. I have all of June and July off, then we usually start teacher work in early August and kids return mid August. Can't really complain about those 8 weeks off plus all the holiday breaks.

The money ain't great but once you've acquired your gear (slowly over time) then all you really need is time to get out there and explore
I don't hate teachers, I like them! But some of you are telling us - students - that our career will not have success because of our lack of ingenuity when writing essays. Pls, just try politeness, we wouldn't succeed, if you are bullying us; or am I the only one whose teachers behavior so?
Wait, are you really calling out someone’s profession because of your bad individual experience? He or she may be the greatest teacher in the world or the worst, that’s not the point of the thread though. Come on
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

StephanieEnnis wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:31 am
pcsongei wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:43 am I'm a middle school reading teacher. Works out pretty nicely with the summers off, but alpine season and my summer don't match perfectly. I have all of June and July off, then we usually start teacher work in early August and kids return mid August. Can't really complain about those 8 weeks off plus all the holiday breaks.

The money ain't great but once you've acquired your gear (slowly over time) then all you really need is time to get out there and explore
I don't hate teachers, I like them! But some of you are telling us - students - that our career will not have success because of our lack of ingenuity when writing essays. Pls, just try politeness, we wouldn't succeed, if you are bullying us; or am I the only one whose teachers behavior so?
Well that took a bizarre turn. I kept expecting to see a link to some teacher education course.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

With the exception of some elite private schools, Teaching in the U.S. at every level has to be one of the most underpaid and underappreciated professions, sadly.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

On another note, for those of you who work remotely allowing a better quality of life than the office/cubicle/commute deal, what do you do?
JohnnyO
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JohnnyO »

I'm a recently retired parks and recreation guy and got lucky and found an opportunity to work primarily from home for the Rivers, Trails, and Conservation Assistance program, (RTCA), a division of the National Park Service. RTCA does wonderful things all around the country helping local communities plan for, develop, and restore park and recreation facilities, trails, wetlands, natural areas, etc. I am so fortunate to have found this and work with a great group of highly professional and dedicated people, who are also fun to be around. Man am I lucky and I'm doing rewarding stuff!
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

That sounds great, good for you. Is that a travel heavy job or more desk work?
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

nyker wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:35 am With the exception of some elite private schools, Teaching in the U.S. at every level has to be one of the most underpaid and underappreciated professions, sadly.
I don’t see them as underpaid at all, at least in Douglas County. My wife has worked a professional level job for 24 years for one of the 30 biggest companies in the US and makes less than our neighbor who has been teaching for 15 years in Castle Rock. And teachers get 14 weeks a year off…9 in the summer, 3 at Christmas, and a week each for spring and fall breaks. I’m sure there are rural districts where the pay isn’t great but in my opinion they’ve been for so long running a super successful campaign to convince everybody they’re underpaid that the general public just assumes it. And if you really want to make some cash get into school administration.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

You're doing better than avg I'd say. In NYC where salaries are higher than many other parts of the state, teachers start in the low $60s....in a city where rent in a 500sq studio is averaging $3k/mo you can see how teachers are underwater from the start, even commuting and sharing apartments it's tough.

And you're right, the political admin jobs make much more and frankly do much less.

https://teachnyc.net/about-our-schools/ ... d-benefits
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

JamesReyes wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:41 am Even if it has passed some months since the last post here, I have to say I've begun some courses about cryptocurrency and bet it is the best investment I could make.
You should invest the rest of your money in NFTs as well.