What do you guys do for work/careers?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: What do you guys do for work/careers?

Post by XterraRob »

Entertainer.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Salient wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:24 pm
Nashville gang :)

Anyway, as a 16 year old just finishing his sophomore year and going into community college, I am choosing not to work at a job for the time being. However, Biden's raise of minimum wage would double my wages were I to work at a low end job such as a fast food restaurant. So, I'll likely wait until 2022 if that bill has a good chance at passing.
Haha that's gold... maybe you should drop out of community college and wait for Biden to make it free in 202x as well?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

ekalina wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:44 pm
TomPierce wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:02 pm
ker0uac wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:00 am I haven't been inspired yet by anybody's "means of paying bills" here yet, with maybe a couple of exceptions... I don't subscribe to the idea that you need to find a job you love... You just need to find something that you are good at, that doesn't require >6-8hrs/day, and that can pay your bills... This obsession wit loving every second of your life is so annoying and only makes life more difficult
I generally agree. I often joke: "There's a reason they call it work." Sure, sure, if you can do what you love you'll never work another day in your life. Makes for a pithy retort, but alas everything I love to do (spend time with the family, read, cycle, climb obscure desert peaks, kayak, etc. etc.) doesn't pay the bills. Doesn't pay at all, actually. That doesn't mean a person needs to be miserable, but find something at least good enough, spend your free time on what you love. Obvious, but I see a lot of younger people who are waiting for the "I want to love what I do" boat to come in.

This has been a fun thread to read.

-Tom
Being required to do something you love in a regimented manner can suddenly make it seem a lot less lovely.
My unsolicited advice to young ppl is to find something you are good at and that pays well. In this way, you won't have to work very much. Pragmatism does really pay off. After college, I applied to whatever job I found. Took the job that paid the most. And overtime, I gravited towards specific functions that were easy to me. I've never felt fulfilled by my job, I've never felt proud of what I do, I've never loved it. But I've never been unemployed and I've never consistently worked over 40hrs/week and I never needed more money that I was making.

Also, those who managed to find a career doing something they loved, tend to have a very single-focus life. That one thing defines their lives bc the commitment is oh too high.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

ker0uac wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 am My unsolicited advice to young ppl is to find something you are good at and that pays well. In this way, you won't have to work very much. Pragmatism does really pay off. After college, I applied to whatever job I found. Took the job that paid the most. And overtime, I gravited towards specific functions that were easy to me. I've never felt fulfilled by my job, I've never felt proud of what I do, I've never loved it. But I've never been unemployed and I've never consistently worked over 40hrs/week and I never needed more money that I was making.

the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”
:lol:
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

ker0uac wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 am My unsolicited advice to young ppl is to find something you are good at and that pays well. In this way, you won't have to work very much. Pragmatism does really pay off. After college, I applied to whatever job I found. Took the job that paid the most. And overtime, I gravited towards specific functions that were easy to me. I've never felt fulfilled by my job, I've never felt proud of what I do, I've never loved it. But I've never been unemployed and I've never consistently worked over 40hrs/week and I never needed more money that I was making.

Also, those who managed to find a career doing something they loved, tend to have a very single-focus life. That one thing defines their lives bc the commitment is oh too high.
You should try finding a job that is fulfilling first before discouraging others to do so, because you basically state you have no idea and no experience what it is like to find fulfillment or calling in a vocation.

Despite my cynicism and sarcasm, I love my job. I thrive best and am happiest overall when I have a balance of responsibilities, accomplishments, and free time to pursue hobbies. While I do occasionally find myself wishing I had more free time, it makes the free time I do have far more enjoyable than when I have free time in abundance.

I also find a lot of mountain and fitness oriented-folks tend to be very single-focused, almost borderline addiction. It ain't always just career-focused people who lack the ability to diversify their lives.
Make wilderness less accessible.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

Scientist. And I can attest first hand that it is pretty awesome when the thing you do for money is something you actually like doing.
(And yes, i am also good at it and well paid for it).
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Certified underwear model and pole dancing instructor
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Not everyone gets to be a rockstar astronaut fighter pilot spec ops assassin spy billionaire playboy moviestar.
Some of us only get to be three of those things.
Harrison1991
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harrison1991 »

High School teacher- Special ED
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

justiner wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:17 pm :lol:
hImym.gif
hImym.gif (361.35 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

cedica wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:38 pm
justiner wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:17 pm :lol:
hImym.gif
=D> :lol:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

From my experience in my industry, those that don't take pride in their work are the same that are not worth having on my payroll.