What do you guys do for work/careers?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What do you guys do for work/careers?

Post by JChitwood »

bergsteigen wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:58 pm
ker0uac wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:39 pm
bergsteigen wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:07 pm Yes, you *can* retire before 65/67, if you don’t spend all your take home $$$. I plan on retiring early and cutting hours ASAP.

From a local Longmont guy who retired at 30:
https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01 ... etirement/ (He’d be sad at most of our lifestyles, except for Justin)
I agree, I do subscribe to most of what's in this article. I don't think my expenses should go up as I make more money - Im childless. So five years ago, I began sending whatever raises or bonuses I get straight into savings/retirement.

But Im just asking from a tax perspective. I maximize my contributions to both 401k and IRA, and use all tax loopholes to do so, so the bulk of my money is locked in through legal retirement age, unless I pay the early penalties.
Correct, if you funnel all your savings into retirement accounts, then it is locked up till 59.5 years of age. Doing so makes ones tax burdens much much less. This guy has a lot of blog posts, so you may want to sift through some of them, as he talks about investing post-tax dollars. I’ve read virtually all of his posts, except when he makes fun of people who drive into the mountains weekly for our enjoyment. Thankfully my accounts are large enough to get a personal finance advisor, so I have more than just retirement to build up and utilize for early retirement. Speaking of which, I need to call him today.
Actually it’s only locked up until 55 for 401k plans when you retire from the company.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

I find characters like the money mustache guy to be a little disingenuous. I haven't looked at him in a while, so apologies if I'm miscategorizing him specifically, but a lot of these "tell you how to retire early" types leave out the part where they now make significant cash off of a blog or youtube channel telling you how to retire early. That's a career change not retirement. More power to them if it makes them happIer, but be 100% honest about it.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

GreenHorn wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:39 pm I find characters like the money mustache guy to be a little disingenuous. I haven't looked at him in a while, so apologies if I'm miscategorizing him specifically, but a lot of these "tell you how to retire early" types leave out the part where they now make significant cash off of a blog or youtube channel telling you how to retire early. That's a career change not retirement. More power to them if it makes them happIer, but be 100% honest about it.
I don’t have the link offhand, but he does post about what he makes off his website/affiliates/etc. He’s also upfront about the fact that he still does some work - because he wants to. It doesn’t change the math. Wish I had done some better financial planning after school. Never thought I’d have the possibility to retire early.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

:-s
Harrison1991 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:34 pm High School teacher- Special ED
Thank you!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

Mattm3535 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:17 pm Woohoo! Another thread to which I can comfortably contribute. I am a special education teacher for students with emotional disabilities. I work with grades 5-8. Simultaneosly spiritually rewarding and apocalyptically soul crushing, but I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. Except maybe owning a small souvenir shop in Ouray. Now that would be perfection, but apparently you need knowledge and/or money and/or a strong work ethic and/or good luck to start your own business. And I have none of those things. I do have summers off, which is fantastic, but I live in Illinois, and I already did all 6 things one could do in this state.
Thank you!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
pcsongei
14ers: 15 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pcsongei »

I'm a middle school reading teacher. Works out pretty nicely with the summers off, but alpine season and my summer don't match perfectly. I have all of June and July off, then we usually start teacher work in early August and kids return mid August. Can't really complain about those 8 weeks off plus all the holiday breaks.

The money ain't great but once you've acquired your gear (slowly over time) then all you really need is time to get out there and explore
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

ker0uac wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:37 am
rijaca wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:29 am
You looking for a job?
Lol I hate and dread interviewing and I dont think I am good at it.
That doesn't surprise me.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

rijaca wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:38 am
rijaca wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:29 am
You looking for a job?
That doesn't inspire me.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

dpage wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:02 pm
rijaca wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:38 am

That doesn't inspire me.
:lol: Nerds.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

My real job is to hit the road with my buddy Dean, take copious amounts of drugs while hitting all the best Jazz joints, then write about it almost incoherently. People love it!
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Bale wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:31 pm My real job is to hit the road with my buddy Dean, take copious amounts of drugs while hitting all the best Jazz joints, then write about it almost incoherently. People love it!
Put a rag soaked in ether under your gas pedal and push on it hard.

Oh: watch out for the bats.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Dayute
14ers: 56  1 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dayute »

The key to retiring early is a government job with a pension that allows you to buy time. Thanks taxpayers.