Tell us your dirtbag days

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Tell us your dirtbag days

Post by nunns »

Mtnman200 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:17 pm
SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:52 pm
sigepnader wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:09 pm

Don’t do this. You’ll be happier.
I mean... do get married if you find the right person. But definitely don't have children. :mrgreen:
Get married only if you find the right person, and have kids only if that’s what you both want.

BTW, you may discover (as I did) that your kids make great climbing partners. Making memories with them is fantastic.
+1. They will cost you money, but if you do it right, it will be worth it.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
LifeIsGood
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LifeIsGood »

Good responses, though I did assume there would be lots of members who had a dirtbag phase or period (s).

or maybe people are hesitant! Remember that guy, forgot the name, a few years ago he was doing many Colorado peaks, said he had spent a night on the floor of a trailhead bathroom,

or a coworker of mine said he slept in his Subaru for 3 months in a Planet Fitness parking lot, then shower inside every morning! He was gaining a bit of cash driving Uber or something
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

I defended my thesis and moved into my car in June 2009, and have been living in a car about half the time ever since. I don't have any grand journeys to show for it, but I have managed to stand on some summits, see a few continents, and make far-flung friends. I suppose I could have done something similar by making and spending more money, but that's not how things happened.

Having kids doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me at this point: they cost too much money and independence, and I don't care if my genes die out. Fortunately other people reproduce, and I can be a positive (or at least strange) influence on their lives.