Crestone vs Westcliffe

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Crestone vs Westcliffe

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

mtngoatwithstyle wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:56 am I also stayed in an Airbnb one night owned by a well know healer in Crestone and had dreams ALL night! I do not think I slept much.
Maybe the “healer” slipped you something in hopes of dragging you into a cult. Run!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
kmonson
14ers: 47  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kmonson »

Wow, I was about to book an airbnb in Crestone next week to visit the Sand Dunes since I have not been yet. I am still relatively new to Colorado so I figured Crestone was just similar to other mountain towns in Colorado. After reading this thread, I will never visit that town alone. Maybe not at all. Thanks for the info.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

kmonson wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:00 pm Wow, I was about to book an airbnb in Crestone next week to visit the Sand Dunes since I have not been yet. I am still relatively new to Colorado so I figured Crestone was just similar to other mountain towns in Colorado. After reading this thread, I will never visit that town alone. Maybe not at all. Thanks for the info.
Don't let the far flung opinions of a few (mine included) throw off your plans. I'm sure you'll be fine. Its just a goofy little town with lots of hippies, oddballs, and interesting folk. No worries. You might even enjoy it. I just answered the question of which town I prefer. There are A LOT more offerings in Westcliffe. But Crestone is fine. Have fun!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

I agree with mtree. No reason to change your plans. The town is unique, and worth visiting.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

I've only had one visit to Crestone, but it was a beautiful Fall day after Challenger/KC, and enjoyed the brewery afterward. I felt like the town was magical and weird and integrated into nature, being in the trees.
Been in Westcliffe several times, some overnights before/after hikes or bike riding through, nothing ever jumped out at me, being flat and out of the trees (before that gigantic rise of the Sangres), more non-descript like Fort Garland or, say, Walden. More options in Westcliffe but not as unique and memorable as Crestone. Although the only times I've been there were hot summer days.

I'd rather go to Crestone once, but Westcliffe twice (because of the options), if that makes sense?
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I like Crestone, super weird and unique
SkiingRio
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiingRio »

kmonson wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:00 pm Wow, I was about to book an airbnb in Crestone next week to visit the Sand Dunes since I have not been yet. I am still relatively new to Colorado so I figured Crestone was just similar to other mountain towns in Colorado. After reading this thread, I will never visit that town alone. Maybe not at all. Thanks for the info.
I grew up there, it's not as scary as this thread would leave you to believe :lol: I'd describe it as a rural Oregon/Maine type of weird (I could be wrong, but hippy town doesn't quite cut it, either). At the extreme end there are some gun-toting hippies that are too cynical to be peace-n-love anymore but are just anti-vaxx enough to be red-pilled into QAnon. Otherwise, everyone else is fairly normal, considering the circumstances of living in an isolated community.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Hippie town with a few cults thrown in. No biggie. I'm sticking with "I get the heebee-jeebies when I drive through there."

But I'm sure there are many fine people there. I actually mean that.

Sorry, that "Mother God" story really hit me hard! Hilarious but creepy as hell.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

What is the deal with the buying property there? Do you need to be a spiritual group? I heard the property taxes are really cheap to start off with, then get more and more expensive - or am I completely off base?

I've been binging on LoveHasWon stuff - were they actually based down the road in Moffat? That's where The Ascended Mother God was found.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

If someone out there catches wind that the house where the body wrapped in christmas lights comes on the market, please send me a PM.

I am in!
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

justiner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:53 pm
I've been binging on LoveHasWon stuff - were they actually based down the road in Moffat? That's where The Ascended Mother God was found.

If your heading into crestone on T road from moffat it's right before the golf course a couple miles before you get into town proper. It's the first left in that circle of small mobile homes at 4 Alcedo ct road.

I've been following this as well watching it all unfold. They just released 2 of them on bail. 1 of them I don't know why they released him for? See what he does maybe??? A few of the core members seem dangerous to me. The dude they released just said they are waiting for the spaceship to come get them...wakadoos for sure.
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:43 am
dubsho3000 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:59 am
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:36 pm
Trumpers and Q people did wake many of us up to the dip-shitedness of a large portion of our population but this cult garbage is soooooo far beyond that. The people joining a cult like this are in a whole different category.
I don't know. Q has "a plan"; Mom had the Divine Plan. Trump was ordained by god (per some QAnon folks); this chick was god (per her followers). QAnon fleeces believers for money; LoveHasWon fleeces people for money. QAnon led to a person shooting up a pizza parlor believing it was a site of Hillary Clinton's pedophilia ring... not sure what LoveHasWon did similar to that! QAnon folks stormed the capital and tried to overthrow our government; LoveHasWon stormed Kauai???

Why is LoveHasWon crazier? I guess they did abuse this woman's corpse. That is out there. But I wouldn't put that past QAnon folks if Trump were to die so I'm going with LoveHasWon in the "who's more reasonable" debate until further notice.
Fair enough. :lol:

Debating "who's more reasonable" when the choices are between LoveHasWon and Q is like debating whether one form of delusional thinking is "more reasonable" than another. Both are variations on the same irrational, neurotic, deranged theme. Neither is reasonable. Both take the mind to all the wrong places.

Having said that, and to answer the OP's question, it's no contest between Crestone and Westcliffe. Westcliffe easily prevails. As long as you are looking for sanity.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21