Crestone vs Westcliffe

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Crestone vs Westcliffe

Post by randalmartin »

Are you a Town of Crestone or Town of Westcliffe type of person? The towns are not only on opposite sides of the Sangre's, but they seem to be on opposite sides of reality. Yet another bizarre story out of the town of Crestone https://www.yahoo.com/news/mummified-cu ... 17509.html
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Crestone vs Westcliffe

Post by cottonmountaineering »

people in crestone believe in healing crystals, people in westcliffe are amish

im going with westcliffe
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Another vote for Westcliffe.
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Westcliffe. Creststone is kooky.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Crestone has like two restaurants and both are silly as is the town itself (insert Monty Python and the Holy Grail meme). Westcliffe is basically Anytown, USA and has more food options including Tony's Mountain Pizza, which has godly garlic knots. The choice is obvious.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

The lunch special in Crestone is the Mummy Wrap

Looks like they have a nice country club too for golfers
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Westcliffe is my preference. Just a neat little town. Folks super friendly and some decent food joints. Better views as well.

Crestone is weird and not in a good way. Everyone is on acid.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

I am more of a Westcliffe person than a Crestone person, seeing how I like to bathe on a regular basis. :lol:
Century Bound, eventually.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

The member previously known as bonehead lived part time in Westcliffe. I liked bonehead, regardless of his politics, but I can understand why bonehead would feel at home there in Westcliffe.

It's a pretty right-thinking locale. No ACLU or Obama stickers on your car in that hood; it likely won't go well for the window they're stuck on.

Crestone is just a place that aliens would likely visit and go away feeling at home away from home.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

I stayed in Crestone once, interesting place to say the least.

They found a crystal skull on the outskirts that had them hopping for quite some time.

It started here:
"A woman who owns a local ranch (they are keeping her name anonymous for now) was walking on her property and one day she saw just lying on the ground, this strange looking object. It sort of looked like a skull, or as some people described, half of the face is somewhat human like and the other half seems to be melted. Apparently she was friends with Alta's parents, and wasn't sure what to do with the skull, so she permitted the skull to be kept at Light Reflections.
Word got out about the skull and some people would just come to the store just to see the skull. Many people reported feeling an energy connected with the skull. Sometime last year (1995), they had a group meditation with the skull in the center and over one hundred people came. I also asked her what material is the skull made from and she said they are not sure. It looks like glass or quartz crystal but it is not. As we mentioned Tom Dongo from Sedona came to take a look and took over 60 pictures of the skull from various angles.
As far as what sensitives have picked up about the skull, some people felt the skull was very young or newly created. Other people felt that it was a projection of some spiritual entity into our world which might explain why its form is so strange ... others felt that the shape was solidified from some type of a liquid and then others felt the skull had a connection with the Inner Earth. Another surprise I learned was that our friend Steve Mehler, who we interviewed in our crystal skull book (Mysteries of the Crystal Skulls Revealed) and lived in Colorado Springs, not far, had also had a chance to work with this skull. So I tracked Steve down and he pretty much confirmed all the things I have shared so far. "

But unfortunately ended up an artist had made about 100 of these (The mysterious material was in fact glass) and this one was found on his parent's property in the area, he had evidently had some blems and they ended up there. Really deflates a good story. In consideration of a good story over the truth I'd say this was a cover up and the crystal skull is in fact alien and has great powers.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Westcliffe has a bowling alley with a pro shop. I'm fairly certain it's owned by the same guy who had the bowling alley in Fairplay, which closed several years ago.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Is this the woman who found the crystal skull?

https://www.rawstory.com/mother-god-amy-carlson/
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice