New reservation system coming for Mount Evans, Brainard Lake

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: New reservation system coming for Mount Evans, Brainard Lake

Post by dwoodward13 »

434stonemill wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:57 pm The most important detail besides reservation system is that the Forest Service will be requesting everyone overnighting in Arapaho and Roosevelt NF to use a bear-proof storage container.
According to the article it will be required, not requested which I think is a good move. To me this might be the biggest change announced. Gonna catch a lot of people off guard given we've never had anywhere close to that large of an area require bear cans.
colin j
14ers: 45  3 
13ers: 103 10
Trip Reports (5)

Post by colin j »

Matt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:14 pm
rperth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:45 pm I’m probably in the minority, but I think it’s sad that we are limiting the number of visitors to wilderness areas. It’s sad that you won’t be able to spontaneously go to some of our wilderness areas without a permit. It’s sad to think about future areas that will require reservations. Just sad. It’s just what I think. I’m not here to debate it.
I'm here to agree with you.
I wonder if they will require the fee just to reserve a spot for Mt. Evans.
Maybe Bean knows if they can get away with that..?
I sure hope they do not.
It looks like they're adding a $2 reservation fee on top of the fee already charged; we'll see what happens when they announce details, hopefully annual pass holders can still go for free or if you get there early enough.

Long term I actually think a good way to manage crowding would be to charge higher fees at peak times (i.e. charge an extra $5 if you go on Saturday at 11 am and charge nothing extra for going on Tuesday at 8 am)
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

aholle88 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:33 pm
rperth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:45 pm I’m probably in the minority, but I think it’s sad that we are limiting the number of visitors to wilderness areas. It’s sad that you won’t be able to spontaneously go to some of our wilderness areas without a permit. It’s sad to think about future areas that will require reservations. Just sad. It’s just what I think. I’m not here to debate it.
It sucks for some areas, especially for us folks who have weekdays off and go to those popular spots when there are less crowds. BUT, all the popular areas are doing it. And they need to. Because the popular areas are getting trashed and ruined (prime example: Ice lakes). There’s plenty of wilderness/USFS land that is still hardly used and is no problem accessing. You just have to get a bit further away from Denver, and not near popular attractions that OutthereColorado and other magazines/websites have blown up as “best secret spot/best this/best that.” I still am able to go places almost every day without seeing hardly a sole, even in the Springs. I don’t plan hardly ever in advance and I don’t see these reservations affecting that anytime soon. Just search out places on your own, don’t follow the magazine articles favorite spots, don’t post about a cool spot when you find it, and you are good to go.
This publication is the worst, and I think their consistent dinner bell ringing for fragile places around the state, driving hordes of people to stomp through on a whim, is irresponsible at best.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
quackquackcolorado
14ers: 58 
13ers: 228
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quackquackcolorado »

I gotta say, I'm not a big fan of asking for the government's permission to go outdoors. Now more places to add to the list of where to avoid. I guess that's their intent anyways.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Much of the overcrowding must have been due to the RMNP reservations and Evans road closure and other closures, squeezing the balloon. Tons of people getting turned away and looking for the closest alternative like Brainard, which was already overcrowded. This will lead to more crowds in other areas, that dont have all the infrastructure and can't support them.

Also I can see this leading to more backcountry accidents if people start taking more risks in adverse conditions because they have a permit for a certain time slot and day booked way in advance. We had no monsoon last summer so hard to tell with places like the Bells.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm
I completely agree and is why I quoted that specific sentence. I think most people on this forum would agree, but are also the most likely to practice a Leave No Trace ethic when visiting. I don't like to plan my outings weeks in advance, weather and other factors determine where I hike each weekend, not some reservation I made 3 months prior.

I agree it is sad. They must have looked at vail resorts and their reservation system for skiing. Perhaps if we built a big wall around Colorado that might help...lol (disclaimer, that was a joke people) (lol)
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

As long as I can still wake up ludicrously early and beat the reservation system I don't mind too much, but I will admit that it makes me feel sad too
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

benmangelsdorf wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:49 am As long as I can still wake up ludicrously early and beat the reservation system I don't mind too much, but I will admit that it makes me feel sad too
Agreed, most of us were going to do this anyway. Hopefully that's still an option!
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:03 am
benmangelsdorf wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:49 am As long as I can still wake up ludicrously early and beat the reservation system I don't mind too much, but I will admit that it makes me feel sad too
Agreed, most of us were going to do this anyway. Hopefully that's still an option!
Yeah, most of the times at the popular tourist areas (unless its a 14er) I am there early and don't see anyone until they way back down. Then they are lined up behind me while I take my boots out asking if I am leaving so they can have the parking spot :lol:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

agree, good news is that there is plenty of space in colorado to find solitude if you're willing to work for it. brainard and evans have always been real crowded
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

PJ88 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:54 pm It is sad that this keeps happening, but if that USFS quote is true it sounds like a no Brainard to me.
just here to acknowledge a terrible pun.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
lkk8815
14ers: 54  26 
13ers: 238 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lkk8815 »

I wish they would save a chunk of the available permits to be released the day prior, or something like that. I also don’t like planning day trips months in advance since everything is so dependent on the weather.

The permit system does seem like a reasonable solution to me though. I volunteered for the Forest Service in Boulder for a few years and Brainard was a zoo in the summer even before covid. There’s only so many parking spaces, I think it’s much better to have a permit-based system so people know they can get in when they show up instead of having to sit in their car in a line for hours, waiting for a parking spot to open up.