Weight loss.

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Weight loss.

Post by Jbrow327 »

What's your fastest intentional weight loss? How much weight and how long did it take? How did you do it? How did you stay disciplined?
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Weight loss.

Post by HikerGuy »

Quit alcohol. Lost 40lbs in several months and never gained it back.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Giardia.
LifeIsGood
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LifeIsGood »

Nobody listens to me on this, because I appear fairly trim and people assume that’s just my body type.

but I was gaining just a bit of a belly in my thirties, just like everyone else. I’m too stubborn to ever let that happen, and over time I have come to the conclusion that:

the absolute most effective way to lose weight/ and maintain, is to write down your caloric intake every day. The goal is to lose just a tiny bit of weight every single day; the process is gradual to avoid yo-yoing forever.
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ECF55 »

Gallstones give you religion. Did a "No Fat" diet for three months while waiting on an operation date. No fat foods are much less energy dense, so the pounds come off effortlessly. Shed 25 pounds in three months and I'm still close. :lol:
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Eat only rice and the occasional sea slug while walking around in your underwear for 39 days, and you'll lose a massive amount of weight. Otherwise, a steep incline on a treadmill for an hour a day works well.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
andrew85
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrew85 »

I was always the fat kid growing up and got up to 290 in college (I'm 5'9"), but after realizing I was so close to 300 I knew something had to change. I basically went on a modified version of the Subway diet using the deli bar in the dorms and restricted my diet two bottles of Powerade and two sub sandwiches a day (with the third Saturday of the month being my only cheat day) and played DDR for "exercise" as that's the only way I could motivate myself. Got down to 232 in the first nine months and the next semester I took a gym class for PT along with the DDR and continued down to 184, so I lost 106 lbs in about fifteen months. I got complacent for a bit both with exercise and diet after I moved out of the dorms (plus they got rid of the DDR machine) and slowly gained back up to 250 at which point I took up hiking and decided everywhere within 15 miles was walking distance. I was able to get back down to 210 around the time I joined the army and in basic training lost 47 lbs in 10 weeks back in 2009. Since then I've pretty much been able to stay in the 170-180 zone even after I got out of the army, just having to make dietary adjustments here and there. I recognize it's something I have to stay on top of because whenever I take an extended break from exercise or go home (lol doesn't help that my mom always tries to overfeed me and I have to spend the next month undoing the damage caused when I went to visit, with the surgery I had I recently that limited my physical activity I got up to 194 and had to work back down my 170-180 zone). I'm not one who's motivated to exercise just because (lol I'm weirded out/envious of people that maintain their fitness running on sidewalks and whatnot), that's why I do the incline every week or the 14ers or hiking in general because it feels more like I'm adventuring than exercising.